• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,566 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Years ago they damaged a book when they encapsulated it.  I sent them a high res scan I had done before I sent it in and they gave me a fair "store credit" for it.

Thanks, appreciate that.  I guess I’ll write them an email.  Worst they can do is say sorry not our fault.  And with that  I’ll stop clogging up the Baker thread with my plight :) ... until I post about the resolution anyway.

3 hours ago, Yorick said:

The Bride looks more and more like Baker to me (like a swiped CL25 face), but everything else says "no".  Really awesome RARE book!

If it is not Baker, then who do we know in the St.John "bullpen", at the time, could have done this cover in this style.?? My answer, no one. 

36 minutes ago, RICK STARR said:
4 hours ago, Yorick said:

The Bride looks more and more like Baker to me (like a swiped CL25 face), but everything else says "no".  Really awesome RARE book!

If it is not Baker, then who do we know in the St.John "bullpen", at the time, could have done this cover in this style.?? My answer, no one. 

If it's by Baker, the woman's right hand should have the ring and middle fingers grafted together, as per his well known stylistic habit.  Or, perhaps this one time, he wanted the hand to have a wide grasp, to emphasize the passionate embrace.  It seems to me his trademark female hand position was usually used to denote a casual, or sensual, demeanor. 

Edited by 29dukedog

6 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Speaking of Bakers coming home with undisclosed problems ....  Bought this one raw on the boards.  Price was way too cheap to bother squawking about it, but it's a bummer that this nice book was marred in this way.  On close inspection, I think I agree that the top was trimmed and that it's not just St John production sloppiness. 

2018-02-02-0001_zps1s6s5uxy.JPG

Did you get this from me? If so, I (obviously) missed the trim. Sorry about that. Feel free to return it if you want. 

Just now, october said:

Did you get this from me? If so, I (obviously) missed the trim. Sorry about that. Feel free to return it if you want. 

I did, but the price was right even given that it's a PLOD.  I'm tempted to resubmit it just to see whether they can distinguish consistently distinguish St John miscuts from trimming. 

1 hour ago, RICK STARR said:

I have to revise my prior comment.  CL25 was published a few years later.

Perhaps it was done by Nick Cardy?

There are so many unknown cover artists at St John, but on the other hand so many VERY well known.  Bob Lubbers, Joe Kubert, Ayers, Steve Ditko, Gene Colan, etc.  Maybe St John asked Warren King to do some "Baker style" line work instead of painting?  I don't know what Ray Osrin pencils might look like.

Of course, I can't say its not Baker.  The Texan 12 portrait looks similar to this one (and also does not look like Baker to my eyes), yet it's sandwiched between a whole lot of Baker covers...

58 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I did, but the price was right even given that it's a PLOD.  I'm tempted to resubmit it just to see whether they can distinguish consistently distinguish St John miscuts from trimming. 

That's a problem with GA and some SA, if the cover hasn't tanned around the edges, I'm not sure how one tells a clean slight trim from a miscut. I once bought a slabbed book that noted top of front cover trimmed, but the nature of it (a slight diagonal running from the spine, exposing about a 1/16th of an inch of interior once it got to the right edge) on an otherwise 3.5 book makes me think it might well have been a production error. It would have been a difficult trim to make and served no purpose. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

This is a very unusual book for someone to bother trimming..

44 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I have to revise my prior comment.  CL25 was published a few years later.

Perhaps it was done by Nick Cardy?

There are so many unknown cover artists at St John, but on the other hand so many VERY well known.  Bob Lubbers, Joe Kubert, Ayers, Steve Ditko, Gene Colan, etc.  Maybe St John asked Warren King to do some "Baker style" line work instead of painting?  I don't know what Ray Osrin pencils might look like.

Of course, I can't say its not Baker.  The Texan 12 portrait looks similar to this one (and also does not look like Baker to my eyes), yet it's sandwiched between a whole lot of Baker covers...

I once owned a solid copy of this book and then sold it, convinced that it was not Baker.  I have to admit on closer inspection, I see many classic Baker elements in both faces similar to the standard Baker male and female faces .  But I think Dukedog is correct about the fingers.  They do not look at all like Baker fingers.  There is also an awkwardness in their embrace that is very non-Baker like who was a master of fluidity with ordinary people in ordinary poses.  I ultimately would guess that this is Nick Cardy, inspired by Baker.  

Edited by BakerFanOne

4 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

If it's by Baker, the woman's right hand should have the ring and middle fingers grafted together, as per his well known stylistic habit.  Or, perhaps this one time, he wanted the hand to have a wide grasp, to emphasize the passionate embrace.  It seems to me his trademark female hand position was usually used to denote a casual, or sensual, demeanor. 

Correct that’s how you can tell.

many many examples with the Baker westside hands 

C02E23C9-02C3-4D21-AFE3-B5D69ECDF463.jpeg

1 hour ago, Crimebuster said:

Just picked this up. I'm still new to the Baker game, so I'm not entirely sure what I've got here in terms of rarity and value and stuff. I did a little looking around online, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of information!

C7MASTC.jpg

How many pm offers for the book did you receive within 10 minutes of posting it?  That should give you a good indication of its rarity and value...

1 hour ago, Crimebuster said:

Just picked this up. I'm still new to the Baker game, so I'm not entirely sure what I've got here in terms of rarity and value and stuff. I did a little looking around online, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of information!

C7MASTC.jpg

One my favorites and, like most Baker romance books, can go for significant dough in mid-grade and up.  But it's not usually considered one of his most popular covers and, obviously, your copy has serious condition issues, so I'm not sure it's more than $100 book.  But, I'm often wrong about such things!

19 hours ago, adamstrange said:
20 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

This is a very unusual book for someone to bother trimming..

Yeah, I agree.  I think I'll send it through again to see if it comes back with the same result.

31 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Girls in Love #57.  I am so happy that Baker got to draw a Superman cover!*  Who has the 8.0's?  :whatthe:

5a76700097e44_GirlsinLove57Superman(558x800).jpg.d3d36e689aeb3b532c52bbad689394c1.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

This is an edited image.  Duh.  Hope you like it! :grin:

Just caught the DC logo lol It could be a Clark and Lana cover though. I don't have the 8.0, but i have a 4.0ish copy. 

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

One my favorites and, like most Baker romance books, can go for significant dough in mid-grade and up.  But it's not usually considered one of his most popular covers and, obviously, your copy has serious condition issues, so I'm not sure it's more than $100 book.  But, I'm often wrong about such things!

Sqeggs assessment is pretty fair.  Your book is not part of an ever evolving group of red hot Baker romance covers that seem to hit a new all time high on a weekly basis.  The higher the condition, the more stratospheric prices are being realized.

But this particular book seems to be on the rise and is not as common as many others so pricing could be pretty variable.  I would suspect most boardies would be very pleased to pick your copy up for $100.  Whether folks would pay a lot more is TBD.    

18 hours ago, Yorick said:

Girls in Love #57.  I am so happy that Baker got to draw a Superman cover!*  Who has the 8.0's?  :whatthe:

5a76700097e44_GirlsinLove57Superman(558x800).jpg.d3d36e689aeb3b532c52bbad689394c1.jpg

Hide contents

This is an edited image.  Duh.  Hope you like it! :grin:

My copy would grade 8.0, I'm sure. This has the Quality logo instead of DC.

girls in love 57.jpeg