• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,578 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, comicjack said:
10 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Crowley's can be all over the lot, particularly the true file copies.

Ohio's on the other hand! :)

2018-02-12-0001_zpsncawbaap.JPG

I see baby four coming soon 

(:

The nurse in the background is a rare instance of Baker drawing a homely woman. 

17 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
20 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Jeez, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a pedigree copy of TR 2.  Anyone remember what the Church copy grades? 

It was sold raw on HA as a NM.  Purchased by a boardie, iirc.

Found it... the Church TR 2 was later slabbed and sold on ComicConnect on 6/20/09 for a whopping $285. 

tar2_church.jpg

4 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Found it... the Church TR 2 was later slabbed and sold on ComicConnect on 6/20/09 for a whopping $285. 

tar2_church.jpg

Whoa!  Sold raw on Heritage as a 9.4 for $1,015.75 in 2006, then gets a disappointing grade from CGC and sells for $285 in 2009. 

7 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Whoa!  Sold raw on Heritage as a 9.4 for $1,015.75 in 2006, then gets a disappointing grade from CGC and sells for $285 in 2009. 

As I recall, the Church TR 3 had a similar history on HA.  That one graded 6.5 and sold in the same CC auction for $265. 

tar3_church.jpg

Edited by 29dukedog
added desc.

47 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

As I recall, the Church TR 3 had a similar history on HA.  That one graded 6.5 and sold in the same CC auction for $265. 

tar3_church.jpg

That one was graded raw on Heritage as a 9.0 and sold for $1,135.25 in 2009.  It seems to have been a case of buy high, sell low for the winner of these books on Heritage. 

Edited by Sqeggs
Correct price

3 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I'm being lazy and don't feel like getting out my OSG to do research.....

How many Classic Comics/Classics Illustrated comics have Baker art?

I believe the only one is Lorna Doone (Classic Comics 32).

I've heard several collectors express that Baker's interior art for Wartime Romances (WTR) is some of his best and most consistent work, but what do you think about the covers?

Here's my informal list, and a link to the GCD for images: https://www.comics.org/series/10540/

RANK

#1 - WTR 17

#2 - WTR 2

#3 - WTR 16

#4 - WTR 15

#5 - WTR 8

#6 - WTR 5

#7 - WTR 18

#8 - WTR 10

#9 - WTR 9

#10- WTR 13

#11- WTR 11

#12- WTR 1

#13- WTR 6

#14- WTR 7

#15- WTR 3

#16- WTR 4

#17- WTR 12

#18- WTR 14

Thoughts?

Edited by sacentaur

7 hours ago, sacentaur said:

I've heard several collectors express that Baker's interior art for Wartime Romances (WTR) is some of his best and most consistent work, but what do you think about the covers?

Here's my informal list, and a link to the GCD for images: https://www.comics.org/series/10540/

RANK

#1 - WTR 17

#2 - WTR 2

#3 - WTR 16

#4 - WTR 15

#5 - WTR 8

#6 - WTR 5

#7 - WTR 18

#8 - WTR 10

#9 - WTR 9

#10- WTR 13

#11- WTR 11

#12- WTR 1

#13- WTR 6

#14- WTR 7

#15- WTR 3

#16- WTR 4

#17- WTR 12

#18- WTR 14

Thoughts?

Interesting list and tough to quarrel with -- although I can pick a few nits!  I'm definitely more of a fan of the full covers, a we probably all are.  I think that for many people WTR 17 is the best cover of the run, but I don't think it merits being that high, although I do like it -- probably top 5, but I don't think I'd push it above that.

I'm with comicnoir in pushing WTR 3 way up.  I might also nudge WTR 12 up a bit.  It's kind of generic, but I like what Baker did with the shading.   

Fun exercise! :)