• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,575 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Interesting list and tough to quarrel with -- although I can pick a few nits!  I'm definitely more of a fan of the full covers, a we probably all are.  I think that for many people WTR 17 is the best cover of the run, but I don't think it merits being that high, although I do like it -- probably top 5, but I don't think I'd push it above that.

I'm with comicnoir in pushing WTR 3 way up.  I might also nudge WTR 12 up a bit.  It's kind of generic, but I like what Baker did with the shading.   

Fun exercise! :)

Blasphemy!  WR 17 is the absolute BEST cover Baker did for the run, and that is why it is difficult to find.  Nobody wants to sell theirs.  :preach:

9 hours ago, sacentaur said:

I've heard several collectors express that Baker's interior art for Wartime Romances (WTR) is some of his best and most consistent work, but what do you think about the covers?

Here's my informal list, and a link to the GCD for images: https://www.comics.org/series/10540/

RANK

#1 - WTR 17

#2 - WTR 2

#3 - WTR 16

#4 - WTR 15

#5 - WTR 8

#6 - WTR 5

#7 - WTR 18

#8 - WTR 10

#9 - WTR 9

#10- WTR 13

#11- WTR 11

#12- WTR 1

#13- WTR 6

#14- WTR 7

#15- WTR 3

#16- WTR 4

#17- WTR 12

#18- WTR 14

Thoughts?

I think issue 13 should rank higher, and 2 not quite so high.  Otherwise I'm good with it as is.  I can't agree more; this title has some of the consistently best interior work of Baker's career.  I think he had strong feelings about the wars of his generation, and clearly went the extra mile in his WTR work.  (Then, "patriotism" was a very different animal in the early 1950's than it is right now.)  

On 2/7/2018 at 12:49 AM, RICK STARR said:

I think the TR # 13 is a far better cover than the  #14. 

Well, it came back today and needless to say, I am pleased. Plus the OW/W pages!

5a7a934fb6d1d_GCE15B.thumb.jpg.ca9d06e36b41513593ecb222199ef8b0.jpg

Just the sort of stuff these days that would lose Bruce his job as contest manager !

45 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:
On 2/7/2018 at 12:49 AM, RICK STARR said:

I think the TR # 13 is a far better cover than the  #14. 

Well, it came back today and needless to say, I am pleased. Plus the OW/W pages!

5a7a934fb6d1d_GCE15B.thumb.jpg.ca9d06e36b41513593ecb222199ef8b0.jpg

Just the sort of stuff these days that would lose Bruce his job as contest manager !

I think I'll ask CGC to add "#metoo cover" to the label. hm

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

WR 17 is the absolute BEST cover Baker did for the run, and that is why it is difficult to find.

Wish I could find one, it's the last issue I need to finish the run (which would be my first Baker completion)...

6 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I definitely ain't selling mine. :)

39061368-5b62-42ca-8a93-3454b08a7fab_zps6y1dh3nd.JPG

I forget who and where I read an eloquently worded praising of the background details in this illo.  Whoever that was said it better than I could... it's busy without being cluttered, everything you need to see and more is there in the background, perfectly delineated and balanced, with everything in place.  Really a masterpiece.  

11 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

I forget who and where I read an eloquently worded praising of the background details in this illo.  Whoever that was said it better than I could... it's busy without being cluttered, everything you need to see and more is there in the background, perfectly delineated and balanced, with everything in place.  Really a masterpiece.  

Of course, this was the original version of the cover.  Baker's last St. John romance book, published long after he had left the company.

I like this version as well, although it lacks most of the fine details that, as you mention, contribute so much to the replacement cover.

2018-01-08-0001_zpsrvpml7cq.JPG

21 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Of course, this was the original version of the cover.  Baker's last St. John romance book, published long after he had left the company.

I like this version as well, although it lacks most of the fine details that, as you mention, contribute so much to the replacement cover.

2018-01-08-0001_zpsrvpml7cq.JPG

I don't like this cover...it looks "empty"

11 hours ago, sacentaur said:

I've heard several collectors express that Baker's interior art for Wartime Romances (WTR) is some of his best and most consistent work, but what do you think about the covers?

Here's my informal list, and a link to the GCD for images: https://www.comics.org/series/10540/

RANK

#1 - WTR 17

#2 - WTR 2

#3 - WTR 16

#4 - WTR 15

#5 - WTR 8

#6 - WTR 5

#7 - WTR 18

#8 - WTR 10

#9 - WTR 9

#10- WTR 13

#11- WTR 11

#12- WTR 1

#13- WTR 6

#14- WTR 7

#15- WTR 3

#16- WTR 4

#17- WTR 12

#18- WTR 14

Thoughts?

Wartime Romances are my favorite Baker romance interiors.

My top 5 are:

16, 15, 9, 8 and 5

13 hours ago, sacentaur said:

RANK

#1 - WTR 17

#2 - WTR 2

#3 - WTR 16

#4 - WTR 15

#5 - WTR 8

#6 - WTR 5

#7 - WTR 18

#8 - WTR 10

#9 - WTR 9

#10- WTR 13

#11- WTR 11

#12- WTR 1

#13- WTR 6

#14- WTR 7

#15- WTR 3

#16- WTR 4

#17- WTR 12

#18- WTR 14

Thoughts?

Top five: 2, 3, 8, 16 and 17

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

Hello Bakerites. 

There’s a recent book that caught my eye, a perfect pastiche of GGA and weird monsters. You might ask, “Another Planet Comics? Really?”

Au contraire, mon frères!

Thanks to the Baker poll on these boards a few months ago, I first noticed a book that’s right up my alley, and now I’m a proud owner of my first Baker cover!

And the weird thing is, my wife actually likes this book!?! A miracle in our midst. 

Great first Baker! ...one of my personal top 5 Baker Babe Non-Romance covers, and not an easy one to find in my experience... luckily I  stumbled upon this one in the wild a few weeks ago.  Probably only a 3.0 on account of back cover issues, but I love it.  Will upgrade for sure if I ever get the chance.

ags14gvg.jpg