• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,549 posts in this topic

Here's my ranking for the True Love Pictorial (TLP) covers, and a reminder link:

https://www.comics.org/series/18749/

RANK

#1 - TLP #11

#2 - TLP #10

#3 - TLP #2

#4 - TLP #3

#5 - TLP #9

#6 - TLP #7

#7 - TLP #4

#8 - TLP #8

#9 - TLP #5

#10 - TLP #6

#11 - TLP #1 (photo cover)

REVISED (see below)

Edited by sacentaur
Revised List

15 hours ago, manetteska said:

Seller refused to give a price and refused to disclose/admit the rust clearly shown in his pictures. I offered a price based on the rust I could see and someone else offered more.

Not me, but I did recently win an Australian Baker...  VERY affordable.

Western Bandit.JPG

8 hours ago, sacentaur said:

ranking for the True Love Pictorial

2, 5 and 9 are the top for me.  I like 11, but don't see why so many people put that at the top.  Sorry.

16 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Here's my ranking for the True Love Pictorial (TLP) covers, and a reminder link:

RANK

#1 - TLP #11

#2 - TLP #10

#3 - TLP #2

#4 - TLP #3

#5 - TLP #9

#6 - TLP #7

#7 - TLP #4

#8 - TLP #8

#9 - TLP #5

#10 - TLP #6

My ranking:

10 (Loved this cover from the first time I saw it.  One of my top five Baker covers.)

11 (Obvious classic)

5 (All of Baker's fire-escape gal covers are great.  I picture him on a hot summer night in Harlem, in a similar situation -- hanging out on the fire escape outside his apartment.)

4 (Definitely a double entendre to modern readers -- who knows if Baker intended it?)

2 (Such a great central figure)

9 (Gets some extra point for being such a tough book)

8 (Originally intended as a WTR cover?)

6 (Needed a better caption)

3 (Like how he made the tree the banner for the title)

7 (Not that I don't like it; just the competition is sooo tough!)

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

What could be more romantic than running from the cops with your thug boyfriend?

Just came in the mail. The second to last one of these I need!

comauthpolicecases10.jpg

She looks more like a hostage than a girlfriend, but who knows, maybe they’ll develop one of those Stockholm romances...great copy of a killer book there!

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

My ranking:

10 (Loved this cover from the first time I saw it.  One of my top five Baker covers.)

11 (Obvious classic)

5 (All of Baker's fire-escape gal covers are great.  I picture him on a hot summer night in Harlem, in a similar situation -- hanging out on the fire escape outside his apartment.)

4 (Definitely a double entendre to modern readers -- who knows if Baker intended it?)

2 (Such a great central figure)

9 (Gets some extra point for being such a tough book)

8 (Originally intended as a WTR cover?)

6 (Needed a better caption)

3 (Like how he made the tree the banner for the title)

7 (Not that I don't like it; just the competition is sooo tough!)

Thanks Tony - it appears that I under-ranked TLP 5.

I also love TLP 10, the panel cover is a classic IMHO.

Looking at TLP 7 again, the composition is too cluttered, I would drop it a few spots in retrospect.

Regarding the TLP 3, I adore the layout and colors on this one (even though the scene depicted is rather trite). :cloud9:

20 hours ago, sacentaur said:

RANK

#1 - TLP #11

#2 - TLP #10

#3 - TLP #2

#4 - TLP #3

#5 - TLP #9

#6 - TLP #7

#7 - TLP #4

#8 - TLP #8

#9 - TLP #5

#10 - TLP #6

#1 - TLP #11

#2 - TLP #9

#3 - TLP #5

#4 - TLP #10

#5 - TLP #2

#6 - TLP #8

#7 - TLP #4

#8 - TLP #6

#9 - TLP #3

#10 - TLP #7

#11 - TLP #1

37 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

#1 - TLP #11

#2 - TLP #9

#3 - TLP #5

#4 - TLP #10

#5 - TLP #2

#6 - TLP #8

#7 - TLP #4

#8 - TLP #6

#9 - TLP #3

#10 - TLP #7

#11 - TLP #1

Thanks Peter - another TLP 11 fan! :) 

Based on the feedback, I'm going to re-rank these:

#1 - TLP 11

#2 - TLP 10

#3 - TLP 9

#4 - TLP 5

#5 - TLP 2

#6 - TLP 3

#7 - TLP 8

#8 - TLP 4

#9 - TLP 6

#10 - TLP 7

#11 - TLP 1 (movie cover)

I am more comfortable with this revision - our man Matt did performed very well on this short series! :headbang:

Edited by sacentaur

32 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

Maybe I am being dense, but I don't get it. What is the double entendre?

The girl is saying "if Sue can get married, so can we". Is she referring to the girls marrying each other? (I had a female friend point that out to me, me being so naive and all).

32 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

Maybe I am being dense, but I don't get it. What is the double entendre?

Edited by comicnoir

I thought the Crown Comics 6 9.4 went a little low -- $776.  Not one of Baker's best non-romance covers by a long shot, but still surprising that a 9.4 Baker of any variety didn't crack $1,000.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:51 PM, JvR11 said:

Which issues are you missing?

Out of the 62 Jumbo issues with Skygirl, I am missing around 20. They are:

Jumbo 68,69,71,74-78,80,82,87,95,107,108,110,113,117,118,121,123,129

There is a total of 370 pages of Skygirl material all of which is drawn by Matt Baker except the 6 page introduction story from Jumbo 68. That is by Alex Blum. There is a large amount of overlap with Ghost Gallery and ZX-5 by Jack Kamen (with a couple Baker stories) in these issues. I have also started mapping out those books as well. The Kamen interiors are pretty solid and worth being seen again by a modern audience.

49 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

The girl is saying "if Sue can get married, so can we". Is she referring to the girls marrying each other? (I had a female friend point that out to me, me being so naive and all).

Can't say that I have ever read it that way. I haven't read the story the cover refers to, but I somehow doubt that was what the cover was going for at the time. Not sure I would include this a double entendre cover even if that was the meaning.

57 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

That would be pretty progressive for the times.

I thought it meant that the girls see their friend getting hitched, so they would go sleep with a man to entice matrimony. 

1 minute ago, Shrevvy said:
54 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Can't say that I have ever read it that way. I haven't read the story the cover refers to, but I somehow doubt that was what the cover was going for at the time. Not sure I would include this a double entendre cover even if that was the meaning.

You may well be right and we'll never know, of course.  A lesbian relationship was strictly taboo even in those pre-Code days, so the cover couldn't have been "going for it" in the sense that the typical reader would interpret it that way.  But to a modern reader, that interpretation does suggest itself.  Baker being gay makes it possible that he meant it as an inside joke.