• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,578 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Last night on eBay a low grade copy of CL 27, w/ detached cover and missing centerfold, sold for $461.78.  I find this simply incredible.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cinderella-Love-27-April-1955-St-John-Matt-Baker-Cover-Art-/132512477473?ul_noapp=true&nma=true&si=nTE0FMFJqCVBDLLCB4tf5gQdAOw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557    

Me, too.  I wonder if some people didn't notice that the centerfold was missing?  I found eBay difficult to navigate via my phone, making it easy to miss things. 

15 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Me too. IF I were to sell my Bakers (an I have no intention), ebay is where they would go. People have just gotton crazy on there. 

I don't think Bakers are going cheap anywhere these days. 

3 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Last night on eBay a low grade copy of CL 27, w/ detached cover and missing centerfold, sold for $461.78.  I find this simply incredible.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cinderella-Love-27-April-1955-St-John-Matt-Baker-Cover-Art-/132512477473?ul_noapp=true&nma=true&si=nTE0FMFJqCVBDLLCB4tf5gQdAOw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557    

Perhaps the winner was an underbidder on a "fair" (complete) copy that had sold nine days earlier and "wasn't going to be beat again!"?

We'll see if this doesn't get relisted within a few days...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cinderella-Love-27-April-1955-St-John-Fair-Matt-Baker-cover-art-/173154383502?epid=85430955&hash=item2850ce368e%3Ag%3AxgsAAOSwvGlagG6i&nma=true&si=lb6ycksW446OBz%2BMJSrQ8t6Gleg%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I don't think Bakers are going cheap anywhere these days. 

Ain't that the truth!

Reminds me of the relatively recent burst that later Fox books have experienced, books that many collectors rarely cared about back in the day.

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Me, too.  I wonder if some people didn't notice that the centerfold was missing?  I found eBay difficult to navigate via my phone, making it easy to miss things. 

I have a feeling that detail got overlooked, as it's not prominently mentioned and the app does bury the description.

I think thats probably what happened. I put my bid in with the intention to comfortably win. But it wasent close to what the book ended at. 

40 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I have a feeling that detail got overlooked, as it's not prominently mentioned and the app does bury the description.

If I'm thinking about spending that much on an obviously low grade book, I'd make sure to get the facts straight, one way or another, before pulling the trigger.  Suppose the buyer just assumes the book to be complete, receives it, finds out it isn't, and tells the seller he wants to return it.  Seller refuses; points out the condition is clearly stated in the description.  Buyer is stuck, unhappy, and out $461.87.  

2 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

If I'm thinking about spending that much on an obviously low grade book, I'd make sure to get the facts straight, one way or another, before pulling the trigger.  Suppose the buyer just assumes the book to be complete, receives it, finds out it isn't, and tells the seller he wants to return it.  Seller refuses; points out the condition is clearly stated in the description.  Buyer is stuck, unhappy, and out $461.87.  

Ebay would force the return anyway.

41 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Really just kind of wrong. If someone is in too big a hurry or too lazy to read a description it should be on them not the seller. It happens here all the time. Heck, I have been guilty of it myself some times. If I don't read the description, MY bad. When it happens, I ALWAYS honor my :takeit:. It is just the right thing to do.

38 minutes ago, Robot Man said:
1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

Really just kind of wrong. If someone is in too big a hurry or too lazy to read a description it should be on them not the seller. It happens here all the time. Heck, I have been guilty of it myself some times. If I don't read the description, MY bad. When it happens, I ALWAYS honor my :takeit:. It is just the right thing to do.

I really don't know how eBay would handle a situation like that, but I wouldn't assume they'd handle it a certain way just because it's the way it "should" be handled.  

2 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

I really don't know how eBay would handle a situation like that, but I wouldn't assume they'd handle it a certain way just because it's the way it "should" be handled.  

Ebay sides with the buyer more than the seller. They gave the sellers a bone by allowing them to relist their krap for all eternity for free. Buyers get the advantage of leaving bad feedback. Sellers are terrified of bad feedback, since they've done away with retaliatory feedback. Any conflict usually results in favour of the buyer. Ebay needs more buyers than sellers. They'll always have sellers who list their krap for all eternity for free.

Edited by comicnoir

38 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Splash page from True Love Pictorial #2, another Baker beauty!

TLP2splash.jpg

Great story, but if they'd had any sense, they would have left Nebraska and moved to Miami Beach! :)

2 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Splash page from True Love Pictorial #2, another Baker beauty!

TLP2splash.jpg

I too would like to see a lot more of Elaine Trent!

14 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Here's the group shot. The 26& 28 have been upgraded.

cinderella love group shot.jpg

I think if you could only collect one Baker series, this would be it.

25 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I think if you could only collect one Baker series, this would be it.

If we're talking about a short series of covers only, I'd tend to agree.

But I also really enjoy Baker's interior stories, of which Cinderella Love is sorely lacking.