• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,509 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, JvR11 said:

I always wanted to upgrade this TLP5 but never was able to.  Anyone have a high grade on this?

TLP.jpg

I haven't seen a truly high-grade copy.  Mine is a 6.0.  Second on the census to a 6.5.  For some reason, CGC has the date wrong -- it should be August 1953.

2018-03-09-0001_zpso79p2cyl.jpg

3 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

For years I've been predicting a closing of the gap between Phantom Lady values and Baker romance values.  After seeing the results of several recent auctions... I'd say, that gap, she is a-closin'. 

That’s saying something because it’s not like the phantom ladies have been stagnant... most issues have gone up at least 50% in value over the last 2 years.

32 minutes ago, szavisca said:

That’s saying something because it’s not like the phantom ladies have been stagnant... most issues have gone up at least 50% in value over the last 2 years.

Amazing to think how much the romance market has changed in 15 years.  In 2003, I won my mid grade CL 28 in an eBay auction for $168., which was then considered an outrageous sum for a book like that.  Even the seller was so surprised and happy, he said he'd cover shipping himself.  He also asked if I'd mind telling him what my high bid was, and I told him I'd sniped at $222. (fast and easy to enter.) 

Fast-forward to March 2018... I still have the CL 28, it's the one I posted a few days ago, it's still raw, but a graded copy in about 6.0 today would probably go for 3 to 4k.  At least, this would no longer surprise any of us. 

2 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Amazing to think how much the romance market has changed in 15 years.  In 2003, I won my mid grade CL 28 in an eBay auction for $168., which was then considered an outrageous sum for a book like that.  Even the seller was so surprised and happy, he said he'd cover shipping himself.  He also asked if I'd mind telling him what my high bid was, and I told him I'd sniped at $222. (fast and easy to enter.) 

Fast-forward to March 2018... I still have the CL 28, it's the one I posted a few days ago, it's still raw, but a graded copy in about 6.0 today would probably go for 3 to 4k.  At least, this would no longer surprise any of us. 

I bought the TLP 5 I posted raw from Harley for $275.  Why do I let that man take advantage of me? :cry:

Btw, you're lucky I responded the way I did... because, as a joke, I was also considering:  

22 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I bought the TLP 5 I posted raw from Harley for $275.  Why do I let that man take advantage of me? :cry:

Because he bought you dinner first?  

Just now, 29dukedog said:

Btw, you're lucky I responded the way I did... because, as a joke, I was also considering:  

24 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Because he bought you dinner first?  

You're on a roll today! :)

2 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:
5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

You're on a roll today! :)

But I'm not terribly proud of the quality of the jokes...  :facepalm:

They're pretty good ... by the standards of the boards!

But please don't use the word "quality" around a Baker fan. :baiting:

5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

They're pretty good ... by the standards of the boards!

But please don't use the word "quality" around a Baker fan. :baiting:

Some Baker fans like "Quality" Baker.  But others... well, quality Baker usually isn't Baker published by Quality.  

3 minutes ago, sagii said:
39 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Some Baker fans like "Quality" Baker.  But others... well, quality Baker usually isn't Baker published by Quality.  

I like the Quality stuff :sumo:

I like some of it... wish I had a ready made scan of my Brides Romances 7, but since I don't, here's one from the Digital Comic Museum (one of several Quality covers I like a lot):  

BridesRoms7.jpg

15 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

I like some of it... wish I had a ready made scan of my Brides Romances 7, but since I don't, here's one from the Digital Comic Museum (one of several Quality covers I like a lot):  

BridesRoms7.jpg

Here is mine of this issue...  

BridesRomances.jpg

I don't have a Sweetheart Diary 38.  But, this was cover was a swipe from a Baker story.  I just don't remember which one!  I should have kept notes.

hot472.jpg

Just now, JvR11 said:

I think Love Secrets 40 and Brides Romances 7 were a story line that was used for cover material. 

img710.jpg

doh! looked at these covers a dozen times plus, and never drew the connection these are the same players! 

Fascinating. Serialized Romance. A first that I don't think the St. John run of covrers can lay claim to. (Don't mind me, I'm just trying to :baiting: @Sqeggs ) :D

2 minutes ago, sagii said:

doh! looked at these covers a dozen times plus, and never drew the connection these are the same players! 

Fascinating. Serialized Romance. A first that I don't think the St. John run of covrers can lay claim to. (Don't mind me, I'm just trying to :baiting: @Sqeggs ) :D

I think maybe what happened is that Baker did a storyline for them and they just used two of the panels for covers.