• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,551 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

That's similar to Steranko's Nick Fury where the censored panels may be more risque than the uncensored panels. 

Yes, you're referring to the panel of Fury getting friendly with a woman, which the CCA replaced with a close-up of his gun in a holster draped over a chair.  Steranko felt the gun in the tight-fitting holster was a much more potent sexual metaphor than what he'd intended. 

Steranko talked about that in one of the comic book documentaries... I'm thinking "Comicbook Confidential"...(?) 

Steranko_NickFury_Val.jpg

Edited by 29dukedog
added desc.

Just now, comicnoir said:

I only had a tracking bid in on it.  I thought it might go higher.  Perhaps it would have in one of their Signature Auctions.

1 hour ago, 29dukedog said:

Yes, you're referring to the panel of Fury getting friendly with a woman, which the CCA replaced with a close-up of his gun in a holster draped over a chair.  Steranko felt the gun in the tight-fitting holster was a much more potent sexual metaphor than what he'd intended. 

Steranko talked about that in one of the comic book documentaries... I'm thinking "Comicbook Confidential"...(?) 

Steranko_NickFury_Val.jpg

Yes, that is it.

I have some pre and post code Canteen Kate scans I should post. The censors were pretty heavy handed there if I remember correctly. 

11 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

Yes, that is it.

I have some pre and post code Canteen Kate scans I should post. The censors were pretty heavy handed there if I remember correctly. 

Do you have any more examples where the CCA actually made things worse with their meddling?    lol

Well after numerous attempts over my time here of unsuccessful WTB threads, I finally got a bite :bigsmile:: Heart Throbs #46, one of Bakers best Quality covers (as unlike what is usually the case with some of the Quality covers, the baker girl maintains her instantly recognizable 'Baker Face'). On another note, it's almost a twist on the daydream cover of Teen-Age Romances #43. Except here the woman has manifested her fantasy into a sculpted dream suitor, much to the disappointment of the guy who you know really wants to be the object of her affections. Classic Romance stuff. Thank you Joanne :foryou:extremely happy to get your under copy

Heart Throbs #46.jpg

17 hours ago, sagii said:

Well after numerous attempts over my time here of unsuccessful WTB threads, I finally got a bite :bigsmile:: Heart Throbs #46, one of Bakers best Quality covers (as unlike what is usually the case with some of the Quality covers, the baker girl maintains her instantly recognizable 'Baker Face'). On another note, it's almost a twist on the daydream cover of Teen-Age Romances #43. Except here the woman has manifested her fantasy into a sculpted dream suitor, much to the disappointment of the guy who you know really wants to be the object of her affections. Classic Romance stuff. Thank you Joanne :foryou:extremely happy to get your under copy

Heart Throbs #46.jpg

Yay!!! 

9 hours ago, Silver said:

Been wanting to own a Baker book for awhile, finally snagged one:

C1AF6D69-64E4-49D4-92BC-577B82D9DC12.jpeg

Very nice!  I saw that on Hake's.  I thought you got it at a good price.  Tied for highest on the census.

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Not one of my favorite Bakers, but I think I'm gradually being pulled into getting all of his St John covers. hm

2018-03-18-0001_zpsurzexrkr.JPG

I like this one a lot...if you cover up that right half of the cover.

14 hours ago, szavisca said:

Got this one back today...small tear on the back cover kept it from at least sharing the top census spot with an 8.0.  Still very happy with the grade on this one considering what I got it for.

wbt2cgc75.jpg

:applause:SWEET! Congrats on the grade!