• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,558 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Sensational book!  If only they hadn't slabbed it sideways! :cry:

:bigsmile: For some reason it auto-rotated when I posted it. (shrug)

One of these days I'm going to have to take a group shot of my CLs.

30 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Just won this one.  Not one of my favorite Baker Western covers, but I guess I'm being drawn into collecting all his St John work, not just his romance.

00000000080000000123457003.jpg

"Wakanda"?  Same place as the Black Panther's stomping grounds?  hm 

19 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

"Wakanda"?  Same place as the Black Panther's stomping grounds?  hm 

!!! I was planning to make that joke when my copy of the Texan 6 gets back from Cgc in a few days... pre-dates FF 52 by 17 years...oh well I can always try out my schtick in the silver age forum...

2 hours ago, szavisca said:

And...as promised, just got back my cheap-o Terrycon pickups here.  Not only is this the highest graded copy (though I like the sqeggs copy more based on the better colors), it also contains the all important first comic book appearance of Wakanda...predates Fantastic Four 52 by 17 years....

Texan6nmmin.jpg

:golfclap:AWESOME!!!

17 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Is anyone familiar with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Noir-Matt-Baker-2/dp/0692709517/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1525222850&sr=1-1&keywords=matt+baker+noir

The product description isn't very, umm, descriptive. Is it just reprints?

I don't think there's any "new" Baker material that hasn't seen print, so I imagine it is all "reprints".  The quality seems pretty low, but I do not have a copy to say for certain.  I believe most of his St John work is public domain, so there are certainly hacks out there who will steal Digital Comic Museum scans and reprint them.

I do have a copy of Romance Without Tears, and the quality is fantastic.  If you are a Baker fan, that one is a must have.

https://www.amazon.com/Romance-Without-Tears-Comics-Twist/dp/156097558X

3 minutes ago, Yorick said:
17 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Is anyone familiar with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Noir-Matt-Baker-2/dp/0692709517/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1525222850&sr=1-1&keywords=matt+baker+noir

The product description isn't very, umm, descriptive. Is it just reprints?

I don't think there's any "new" Baker material that hasn't seen print, so I imagine it is all "reprints".  The quality seems pretty low, but I do not have a copy to say for certain.  I believe most of his St John work is public domain, so there are certainly hacks out there who will steal Digital Comic Museum scans and reprint them.

I do have a copy of Romance Without Tears, and the quality is fantastic.  If you are a Baker fan, that one is a must have.

https://www.amazon.com/Romance-Without-Tears-Comics-Twist/dp/156097558X

Okay, allow me to rephrase since all newly Baker printed material is, by necessity, a "reprint". Is this Noir of Matt Baker book just another in a long line of reprinted material or is there something unique about this publication (for example, biographical materials, art criticisms, etc) that makes it work having?

I read The Art of Glamour, which is a retrospective, and it was great so I'm eager for more material like that.

Pursuant to this train of thought, it appears that there are a few different reprints of It Rhymes with Lust out there now. Does anyone have any feelings on which is the best?

3 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Okay, allow me to rephrase since all newly Baker printed material is, by necessity, a "reprint". Is this Noir of Matt Baker book just another in a long line of reprinted material or is there something unique about this publication (for example, biographical materials, art criticisms, etc) that makes it work having?

I read The Art of Glamour, which is a retrospective, and it was great so I'm eager for more material like that.

Pursuant to this train of thought, it appears that there are a few different reprints of It Rhymes with Lust out there now. Does anyone have any feelings on which is the best?

I have the Dark Horse reprint of Rhymes with Lust and the quality is A+.

On 4/30/2018 at 9:01 PM, szavisca said:

Also got this back, somehow highest graded...I'm sure that ranking wont last long.

westernbandittrails3fine.jpg

Nice.  Beats my copy.

2018-01-09-0001_zpsxolort5d.JPG