• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,509 posts in this topic

I was looking through my couple rebound St John giants and found some noteworthy things I thought I would share...

All Picture Comedy Carnival - the entire 100 pages was Pictorial Romances 17. I found that very interesting. Funny too, because there is no discount to the new cover...25c as romance and 25c as rebound humor...

Indians on the Warpath - The Texan 6 at the start...Son of Sinbad 1 at the end...and some kind of western-promoting magazine or something in the middle? This really surprised me...it had Roy Rogers and Dale Evans stories, some of which were mostly typed and some which had word balloons on photos...I had no idea what it was or why St John would cut it and rebind it. It didn't really appear to have been the same size as the more traditional comic issues contained within. Very interesting though.

Anyone else out there look through their giants and find something cool?

12 hours ago, PeterPark said:

I was looking through my couple rebound St John giants and found some noteworthy things I thought I would share...

All Picture Comedy Carnival - the entire 100 pages was Pictorial Romances 17. I found that very interesting. Funny too, because there is no discount to the new cover...25c as romance and 25c as rebound humor...

Indians on the Warpath - The Texan 6 at the start...Son of Sinbad 1 at the end...and some kind of western-promoting magazine or something in the middle? This really surprised me...it had Roy Rogers and Dale Evans stories, some of which were mostly typed and some which had word balloons on photos...I had no idea what it was or why St John would cut it and rebind it. It didn't really appear to have been the same size as the more traditional comic issues contained within. Very interesting though.

Very interesting, particularly about the APCC.  Quite a gap between your contents and the cover drawing!  I would think that your contents make your copy the most desirable one I know of.

I've told this story before, but a few years ago, Metro had a raw copy of APCC for sale.  I asked them to check on its contents -- no Baker, despite their having noted that it did contain Baker art in the item description.  I passed on that copy, but they didn't revise their description.  At some point they sold it.  I don't know if the buyer ever realized that it lacks any Baker content.

48 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

The giant comics editions are similar right? I'd like to know what other people have found...

All that aside, what are most desirable Baker stories? There isn't much talk about that, in spite of their greatness...

Yes, the Giant Comics Editions are also all (I think) comprised of remaindered comics.  I have to admit that I haven't bothered to write down the contents of the issues that I purchased raw.  Given how the contents vary from copy to copy, I now realize that was a mistake.  One place where Company X has an advantage over CGC is in listing the book's contents on the back of the label.  Ordinarily that doesn't much matter because you can look up the contents of most books on GCD.  But for remaindered books, it's got to be helpful.

Good question wrt the best Baker stories.  That will require some cogitating.  

20 hours ago, PeterPark said:

All Picture Comedy Carnival - the entire 100 pages was Pictorial Romances 17.

My copy of All Picture Comedy Carnival is full of crime comics remainders, but no Baker. Imagine buying your kid a book with a cute little cartoon girl on the front...and inside it's all crime and death!

On 6/2/2018 at 5:06 PM, Sqeggs said:

There's some debate, but the consensus seems to be that the cover is Baker.  The book is made up of remaindered copies of other St John romance books.  My copy contained remaindered issues that had several Baker stories, but I don't seem to have jotted down which ones they were. 

Okay here is my theory on the ALATS,  Baker wanted to kind of incorporate the idea of "The Kiss" by Klimt.  But, his version didn't include the hands of the bride more like the way of the artwork (hands are within scope of cloth).  The hands were added later by a different artist as they are not Baker style.  If you look closely, maybe you agree?  My theory. 

Edited by JvR11

14 hours ago, JvR11 said:

Okay here is my theory on the ALATS,  Baker wanted to kind of incorporate the idea of "The Kiss" by Klimt.  But, his version didn't include the hands of the bride more like the way of the artwork (hands are within scope of cloth).  The hands were added later by a different artist as they are not Baker style.  If you look closely, maybe you agree?  My theory. 

That's a fascinating conjecture.  There is a bit of a resemblance.  Do we know of any instances where Baker seems to base a cover on a well-known painting?

Bought this raw on eBay five years ago.  Figured it was a placeholder until I could pick up a copy in mid-grade or above.  Still waiting for one of those, so I figured that I may as well get it graded.  The other two graded copies are a 6.5 and a 4.5. In my experience, the toughest of the Baker APCs.

2018-06-11-0001_zpsr4vhz5uk.JPG

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Bought this raw on eBay five years ago.  Figured it was a placeholder until I could pick up a copy in mid-grade or above.  Still waiting for one of those, so I figured that I may as well get it graded.  The other two graded copies are a 6.5 and a 4.5. In my experience, the toughest of the Baker APCs.

2018-06-11-0001_zpsr4vhz5uk.JPG

Better to have one than not :smile:

Curious...

I don't think I would look through 452 pages here but have you ranked Baker cover/art here?  I would love to see your reactions/opinions/arguments on which books/titles are deserved to be in the top 100 (maybe more) Baker cover or art.

It's so hard to see where Baker books are ranked right now. Just give it a thought.

31 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Curious...

I don't think I would look through 452 pages here but have you ranked Baker cover/art here?  I would love to see your reactions/opinions/arguments on which books/titles are deserved to be in the top 100 (maybe more) Baker cover or art.

It's so hard to see where Baker books are ranked right now. Just give it a thought.

There was a fun poll a few months back in another thread... can’t find it now but I’m sure someone will link it... and you’ll find that any discussion of top Baker covers starts with arguing which Bakers are Bakers and kinda goes in circles from there.