• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,500 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, sagii said:

...any thoughts on the low grade SS4 that recently finished on eBayhm

There was no description other than "Poor", which could mean a missing centerfold.  I messaged the seller with a couple simple questions, but he never responded, so I decided not to take any chances.  Too bad, too- I might've paid just over 1K for a very low grade but complete copy that looked like that one.  

10 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

There was no description other than "Poor", which could mean a missing centerfold.  I messaged the seller with a couple simple questions, but he never responded, so I decided not to take any chances.  Too bad, too- I might've paid just over 1K for a very low grade but complete copy that looked like that one.  

Totally explains the final hammer then,  as I thought it was a little 'soft'.

1 hour ago, 29dukedog said:

56 minutes ago, SuperGrover said:

I missed this one... seems like a decent price "if complete".

I thought it'd cross 1500

14 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Is this actually Baker?

It was discussed a few months back in the thread I think, I believe CGC calls it Baker, but most people leaned to it being more Kamen-ish iirc.  Cool book either way.

8 hours ago, szavisca said:

Like I keep saying there’s nothing hotter in comics than Baker babe romance and wrinkly old Native American guy covers...

Actually ... it’s a kinda cool portrait cover, but I am surprised how high it went.  Just another testament to the power of Baker right now.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/the-texan-12-st-john-1951-condition-fn-vf/a/121830-15812.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

How high?

8 hours ago, szavisca said:

Like I keep saying there’s nothing hotter in comics than Baker babe romance and wrinkly old Native American guy covers...

Actually ... it’s a kinda cool portrait cover, but I am surprised how high it went.  Just another testament to the power of Baker right now.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/the-texan-12-st-john-1951-condition-fn-vf/a/121830-15812.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

Yeah, I went to bed figuring I would win it, but woke up to have lost it by about $25.  Not sure if that made me the underbidder or the under-underbidder.

I would have gone higher but the staples seemed to show some rust and there's some doubt whether Baker did the cover.  Heritage gives him the cover credit, but The Art of Glamour credits him with three stories, but not the cover. GCD gives it the old Pencils: ? Inks: ?.  He did most of the covers in the run, but not 10, which is credited to Lubbers.  I think that the cover of 10 is thematically similar to the cover of 12, so maybe also Lubbers? 

2 hours ago, szavisca said:
2 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Is this actually Baker?

It was discussed a few months back in the thread I think, I believe CGC calls it Baker, but most people leaned to it being more Kamen-ish iirc.  Cool book either way.

Nice book, but it's probably "ye olde Iger shoppe" and not Baker.

24 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, I went to bed figuring I would win it, but woke up to have lost it by about $25.  Not sure if that made me the underbidder or the under-underbidder.

I would have gone higher but the staples seemed to show some rust and there's some doubt whether Baker did the cover.  Heritage gives him the cover credit, but The Art of Glamour credits him with three stories, but not the cover. GCD gives it the old Pencils: ? Inks: ?.  He did most of the covers in the run, but not 10, which is credited to Lubbers.  I think that the cover of 10 is thematically similar to the cover of 12, so maybe also Lubbers? 

Lubbers did 1, 2, and 3 for sure, but nether 10 nor 12 look like him to me.  Most books I've seen for which he did a cover he also did interior stories...which is not the case in 10 or 12.

I dunno, but I think GCD is off with their attribution on 10 being Lubbers.  The cowboys head looks almost like an exact swipe from Issue 1 ,and GCD states this as their reason for attributing it to him.  But it's so exact it almost looks traced to me.

Lubbers covers are usually much more fluid and detailed, I just don't see him in this one.  If it was he took the day off when he did it, or he was uninspired as there was no babe on the cover.

I'll be in the minority here for sure but I actually like the covers to 1, 2, and 3 better than any of the Baker covers in the series ..with the exception of 8 maybe.

Edited by szavisca

4 minutes ago, szavisca said:

I'll be in the minority here for sure but I actually like the covers to 1, 2, and 3 better than any of the Baker covers in the series ..with the exception of 8 maybe.

..#4 and #5 :sumo: 

:baiting:

7 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Lubbers did 1, 2, and 3 for sure, but nether 10 nor 12 look like him to me.  Most books I've seen for which he did a cover he also did interior stories...which is not the case in 10 or 12.

I dunno, but I think GCD is off with their attribution on 10 being Lubbers.  The cowboys head looks almost like an exact swipe from Issue 1 ,and GCD states this as their reason for attributing it to him.  But it's so exact it almost looks traced to me.

Lubbers covers are usually much more fluid and detailed, I just don't see him in this one.  If it was he took the day off when he did it, or he was uninspired as there was no babe on the cover.

Yeah, you might well be right about all that.  I'm with you that the Texan covers are a long way from Bakers best work.

6 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

I thought it wasn't a bad looking "poor", so my immediate concern was, was it complete? I'm sure that kept the price from going higher, but you never see a copy on ebay.

12 hours ago, szavisca said:

I also don't see Lubbers for 10 or 12. 

The artist for 12 is quite good and the central portrait was drawn in a similar fashion to Morris Gollub's back covers for Dell.  The silhouettes of #12 are good as well.

1338096625_Tarzan10-BC.jpg.f77718580e095

On 7/30/2018 at 1:14 PM, manetteska said:

That looked like a nice copy.  I threw down a bid, but was focused more on the DC romance in that auction.  Kinda blown away by the prices for those...