• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,577 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i'm wondering if final encapsulation is the entry level position at CGC....

probably doesn't pay much and if so then no wonder something as simple as folding that flap back was missed   :tonofbricks:

They probably pay entry level workers at least $4.80 an hour...so i would think they could do a better job... lol

22 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Sure wish they'd folded back that little flap on the open edge before encapsulating it!

not saying its the case here . but what kills me is when a company hires someone that knows nothing about the product they are working on....

for example i am a big time golfer but you would be surprised at how many golf courses hire people to work on the course that know nothing about the game and have never even played it ... and when this happens they can only do what they are told ... they have no insight into the business,, and, it shows in their work because they really don't know how the end results of them being unknowledgeable in their work is affecting the finished product

Edited by 1950's war comics

7 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

not saying its the case here . but what kills me is when a company hires someone that knows nothing about what they are woeking...

for example i am a big time golfer but you would be surprised at how many golf courses hire people to work on the course that know nothing about the game and have never even played it ... and when this happens it shows in their work because they really don't know how the end results of them being unknowledgeable in their work is affecting the finished product

ad616b7c11c4d9f4461455374cb88b49.jpg

caddyshack-bill-murray-date-1980-K3664Y.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

21 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Maybe it's my monitor, but the actual book has a slightly darker red (more of a burgandy) and the blue blends together from light to dark areas.  But, if it looks OK to you I guess I can't complain.  :cloud9:

Yeah, the monitors on those Apple IIs have trouble showing true colors. 

16 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:
On 8/16/2018 at 8:03 PM, Sqeggs said:

Sure wish they'd folded back that little flap on the open edge before encapsulating it!

not saying its the case here . but what kills me is when a company hires someone that knows nothing about the product they are working on....

for example i am a big time golfer but you would be surprised at how many golf courses hire people to work on the course that know nothing about the game and have never even played it ... and when this happens they can only do what they are told ... they have no insight into the business,, and, it shows in their work because they really don't know how the end results of them being unknowledgeable in their work is affecting the finished product

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure, but it's possible that it might be the fault of the consignor.  I think I read something on the boards a few years ago indicating that the graders and encapsulators aren't allowed to do anything to a book -- not even fold back a dog-eared corner.  I guess the thinking might be that if the piece came off it would be CGC's responsibility.

10 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Apple II?  LOL  I have a Dell monitor...ya know..."Dude, your getting a Dell"...:acclaim:

Updated your hardware, I see.  Didn't the star of these commercials end up in the slammer?

Edited by Sqeggs

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I remember people saying, "Dude, you're gettin' a cell!"

From wiki: "Curtis’ tenure as the “Dell Dude” would end shortly after he was arrested and accused of buying a bag of marijuana in 2003. Dell terminated the role and according to Curtis, he was blacklisted from the entertainment community, and it was difficult for him to find work."

This seems strange considering how liberal and drug oriented Hollywood is. But, maybe back in 2003 nobody in Hollywood used drugs...(shrug)

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

2 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:
5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I remember people saying, "Dude, you're gettin' a cell!"

From wiki: "Curtis’ tenure as the “Dell Dude” would end shortly after he was arrested and accused of buying a bag of marijuana in 2003. Dell terminated the role and according to Curtis, he was blacklisted from the entertainment community, and it was difficult for him to find work."

This seems strange considering how liberal and drug oriented Hollywood is. But, maybe back in 2003 nobody in Hollywood used drugs...(shrug)

Those guys use so much drugs, many of them think it's still 2003. :insane:

11 minutes ago, sagii said:

With apologies to my good buddy @szavisca there is a new highest graded on the census! I thought this would get a 9.0, but i was close. Just unreal colors on this one! I am very happy! And not a Newton Ring in sight from the scan! It will be back in my possession next week i guess, got the scans today (but the census hasn't updated yet).  I'll be away for a week, but the carrier will hold till i return. This was one of 3 high grade Bakers i submitted for grading. I thought all were 9.0 caliber, but of the three two are now highest graded and third second highest graded and i am very pleased! . Will reveal those other two when i return from vacation in a week, leaving for Myrtle Beach on Sunday morning, and anyway, of the three i think this one was the ^^ by a hair!

Western Bandit Trails #3.jpg

Beautiful copy! Looks better than an 8.5 but even an 8.5 is kind of a unicorn among St. John books.  Had no delusions that a 6.0 would hold the highest graded title for long. Congrats man.

1 hour ago, sagii said:

Will reveal those other two when i return from vacation in a week

The suspense is going to kill me!  Hurry up with that vacation already!!!

11 hours ago, sagii said:

With apologies to my good buddy @szavisca there is a new highest graded on the census! I thought this would get a 9.0, but i was close. Just unreal colors on this one! I am very happy! And not a Newton Ring in sight from the scan! It will be back in my possession next week i guess, got the scans today (but the census hasn't updated yet).  I'll be away for a week, but the carrier will hold till i return. This was one of 3 high grade Bakers i submitted for grading. I thought all were 9.0 caliber, but of the three two are now highest graded and third second highest graded and i am very pleased! . Will reveal those other two when i return from vacation in a week, leaving for Myrtle Beach on Sunday morning, and anyway, of the three i think this one was the ^^ by a hair!

Western Bandit Trails #3.jpg

Congrats!!  Beautiful copy :luhv:

10 hours ago, Yorick said:
11 hours ago, sagii said:

Will reveal those other two when i return from vacation in a week

The suspense is going to kill me!  Hurry up with that vacation already!!!

Can you believe this guy?  Vacationing when there are books to be posted! :taptaptap:

On 8/22/2018 at 10:44 PM, Point Five said:

Had a different copy of this one some 15 years ago and foolishly sold it for peanuts. Took a loooong time to find another!

teenagetemp8.jpg.4c8f943277a44e0b8cd50afdca4107b6.jpg

I don't remember how this one did in our Baker cover poll, but it's one of his best.  Looks like a copy with great color. Nice pickup!