• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,577 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, manetteska said:

We’ll call this a Wizard World Chicago-adjacent pick up. 

EB3CB77A-7078-4A23-BCF4-EFDB0B48DFC1.jpeg

Sweetness!  Hard to tell from a scan, and through a bag, but... might be the nicest copy I've ever seen.  Super tough one, too.  

On 8/27/2018 at 11:56 AM, manetteska said:

1 hour ago, 29dukedog said:

Sweetness!  Hard to tell from a scan, and through a bag, but... might be the nicest copy I've ever seen.  Super tough one, too.  

There is a slight stain/mark on the chimney on the left side; I did not see anything on the inside cover, though. There is also foxing/discoloration at the bottom of the cover.

I was leaning towards getting this graded as it looks to have a chance at highest graded, but I know there are some collectors on these boards who have amazing un-graded copies.

4 minutes ago, manetteska said:
On 8/27/2018 at 12:56 PM, manetteska said:

1 hour ago, 29dukedog said:

There is a slight stain/mark on the chimney on the left side; I did not see anything on the inside cover, though. There is also foxing/discoloration at the bottom of the cover.

I was leaning towards getting this graded as it looks to have a chance at highest graded, but I know there are some collectors on these boards who have amazing un-graded copies.

Here's my copy, currently the highest graded.  I think yours might well top it.  You may want to to have CCS take a look at it to see if they can mitigate the stain and foxing. 

2015-04-22-0001_zpsvgq0qfqk.JPG

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Here's my copy, currently the highest graded.  I think yours might well top it.  You may want to to have CCS take a look at it to see if they can mitigate the stain and foxing. 

That is certainly a copy to have graded (structurally solid and great cover color).  I agree with Sqeggs to see if the stain can be cleaned, but I don't think that book would look good in a Purple Label...  Nothing you can do about foxing.  If I recall correctly, the interior reprints some excellent Baker work (unlike some of the other late issues which don't have Baker innards).

1 minute ago, Yorick said:

That is certainly a copy to have graded (structurally solid and great cover color).  I agree with Sqeggs to see if the stain can be cleaned, but I don't think that book would look good in a Purple Label...  Nothing you can do about foxing.  If I recall correctly, the interior reprints some excellent Baker work (unlike some of the other late issues which don't have Baker innards).

If CCS can remove, or at least mitigate, the stains by dry cleaning the cover, the book would still receive a blue label.  You're probably right about the foxing, although they may be able to do something about the darker stains right along the bottom edge.  I also wouldn't do a chemical clean that would land the book in a purple label.

17 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

If CCS can remove, or at least mitigate, the stains by dry cleaning the cover, the book would still receive a blue label.  You're probably right about the foxing, although they may be able to do something about the darker stains right along the bottom edge.  I also wouldn't do a chemical clean that would land the book in a purple label.

1. Is there a simple way to quote the whole post (including quotes within the post) instead of just the most recent one?

2. This is on the pile of "to-be-graded" but that pile moves slowly.

9 minutes ago, manetteska said:

1. Is there a simple way to quote the whole post (including quotes within the post) instead of just the most recent one?

1. Use your mouse to highlight as much of a post as you wish to quote.

2. Wait a moment until a floating box shows saying "Quote Selection"

3. Click the box