• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,556 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Yorick said:

After the Comic Book Madness on ebay last night I am two issues closer to my St John Baker goals.  Five issues to go (and then the endless search to upgrade!!!).

:ohnoez:..And the madness continues on HA this week!!

I'm not a player, but i will be watching one of the Bakers in particular. I have a low grade copy i'm happy with but i'm expecting a photo finish for this copy..:slapfight:

11 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Pulled them from the box and they look almost identical in hand, so the difference is a scanner artifact.  The 3.5 was bought raw from a well-known dealer as a VF.  It actually looks much better than the grade, but has some hidden flaws -- I've forgotten what they are!  The pq on the other copy is unfortunate.

First of all, major congrats on your near-complete collection! There are many of us here who will celebrate for you when you get that last book. 

As for the 3.5...it's probably the tape. The highest grade in which tape is specifically mentioned in the OS grading guide is 3.0.

4 hours ago, Yorick said:

After the Comic Book Madness on ebay last night I am two issues closer to my St John Baker goals.  Five issues to go (and then the endless search to upgrade!!!).

Is the St. John Baker goal one that you might be able to share what it is without creating undue competition for those last 5 issues? Like every St. John Baker romance? Every St. John Baker?...Something different?

Edited by PeterPark

12 hours ago, MBFan said:

First of all, major congrats on your near-complete collection! There are many of us here who will celebrate for you when you get that last book. 

As for the 3.5...it's probably the tape. The highest grade in which tape is specifically mentioned in the OS grading guide is 3.0.

Thanks, Mel.  I'm thinking about sending it into CCS, to see if the tape can be removed without damaging the book.

14 hours ago, Yorick said:

You know when I first saw his eBay name, I thought CB stood for Citizen's Band.  Actually, maybe it does because he arrives at cons with a long convoy of comics. hm

19 hours ago, PeterPark said:

Is the St. John Baker goal one that you might be able to share what it is without creating undue competition for those last 5 issues? Like every St. John Baker romance? Every St. John Baker?...Something different?

Sure.  My goal is to complete the main St John/Baker Cover romance sets.  Photo covers and painted covers omitted, but I expect to expand my goal to now include these (might as well).  Cinderella Love, Diary Secrets, Going Steady, Pictorial Romances, Teen-age Romances, Teen-age Temptations, True Love Pictorial, and Wartime Romances.  I also pick-up the small run/single issue titles with Baker covers (Secrets of True Love or Blue Ribbon), but I don't particularly care about completing the rest of those runs.

One of these days I'll clear a nice big area and lay all the issues out by title for some group pictures!

9 minutes ago, hippiecop said:

Noticed a Wartime Romances in the comicconnect auction.  Does anyone know if those are all Baker, or just one story ??    Not familiar with that title...

Only the first four issues are ALL Baker.  Check Grand Comics Database.  Looks like issue 16 has some Estrada interior work!  Yay!

9 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Big upgrade for me here with my favorite Baker St. John book thanks to a most gracious and patient boardie.  This one is on its way back to me now as a CGC 7.0... but the scans CGC took don't do it justice (probably never gonna give them my 5$ for that again)...so here's the raw pic before I sent it in.  Probably one of the glossiest books I've held in hand, looks like it was just painted and is still waiting to dry.

APC6inhand.jpg

Congrats...Looks like I've been undergrading my books...:insane:  I think part of the problem with scans and photos is that you cannot see the gloss very well online...

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

4 hours ago, szavisca said:

Big upgrade for me here with my favorite Baker St. John book thanks to a most gracious and patient boardie.  This one is on its way back to me now as a CGC 7.0... but the scans CGC took don't do it justice (probably never gonna give them my 5$ for that again)...so here's the raw pic before I sent it in.  Probably one of the glossiest books I've held in hand, looks like it was just painted and is still waiting to dry.

APC6inhand.jpg

congrats on a beautiful copy ---- and maybe it's just me..as I've not read it previously but what's up with creepy 5 fingers plus thumb? 

14 minutes ago, torontodesignguy said:

congrats on a beautiful copy ---- and maybe it's just me..as I've not read it previously but what's up with creepy 5 fingers plus thumb? 

OMG!  You get a No-Prize for that goof discovery...:applause:Or, it might just be her earring is down too low...:acclaim:

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

14 minutes ago, torontodesignguy said:

Good eye, never noticed that...amazing the things you can miss even when you look at a cover 100+ times...AFAIK the cover doesn't  relate to any story inside, and this clearly looks like a mistake.  And now I can never unsee it!