• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,551 posts in this topic

On 9/20/2018 at 9:35 PM, torontodesignguy said:

congrats on a beautiful copy ---- and maybe it's just me..as I've not read it previously but what's up with creepy 5 fingers plus thumb? 

Looking at APC 6, I realize the mistake. The top "finger" is actually 2 strands of hair. The incompetent colourist accidentally thought it was a finger and coloured it flesh tone. Looking closely you can see it's hair. Baker did not make mistakes. He was a genius.

21 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Looking at APC 6, I realize the mistake. The top "finger" is actually 2 strands of hair. The incompetent colourist accidentally thought it was a finger and coloured it flesh tone. Looking closely you can see it's hair. Baker did not make mistakes. He was a genius.

This makes sense as what appears to be the top finger does not have a circular black border like the other fingers.

At any rate the incidence of polydactyly in Caucasian males is 1 in 1300 live births ... so there were bound to be a few six fingered villains on comic book covers by random chance!

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

What a great weekend for Amazing Ghost Stories!  Anyone here win either of them?

Nope not me, gonna have to be content with my $75 AGS 14 g/vg that I found at a lcs a few months ago.  I do wonder though whether it’s a Baker collector who bought the Bethlehem Cgc 8.5 AGS 14 at that price or if it was someone  who’s more into PCH ... I suspect the latter.

Its my favorite Baker St John non romance where everyone on the cover has 5 fingers or less... nice to see the book finally getting its due.

@szavisca While we await the big reveal :banana: or maybe not :sorry:if the winner chooses to remain private

...Speaking of books finally getting their due, do you think the highest graded (7.0) copy of 'Wild Boy #15' will do exceptionally well in HA's upcoming Signature Auction?

I have always maintained it's the brother cover to it's sister 'Seven Seas #4' (Bakers rendering of man(woman) against nature underwater) . Of course without saying, SS4 because it's a Baker babe cover will always be miles ahead, and since WB15 hasn't got a girl in sight on the cover, it will probably be an uphill battle. Still given the Crocodile and underwater setting, it's not your typical Baker dude cover. My copy would probably grade out at a 5.0. But who wouldn't want a nice high grade set of both bookends to show off if they have a nice SS4? 

Guess we will see. 

15 minutes ago, sagii said:

do you think the highest graded (7.0) copy of 'Wild Boy #15' will do exceptionally well in HA's upcoming Signature Auction?

Well...I don't really know, I've followed so few Baker non babe books...I'll go on record as saying it probably wont get $7,200....

3 hours ago, Yorick said:

What a great weekend for Amazing Ghost Stories!  Anyone here win either of them?

Makes me happy for the AGS 15 I do have, but sad that I will probably never complete the set. I debated going up to 600 on the eBay copy as I’m in IL and would have to pay an extra 8% on top. 

But even that was blown out of the water. I do wonder on the grade; usually C4L is a little conservative (see the Wild Boys) but it looked a bit high to me. 

Got this low grade Teen-Age Romances 31 recently and was reading through it and was struck by the art in the "My Hear was Adrift" story at the end. Does anyone know who did this? Really nice girl art.

I gotta say the Nina Albright pencils in "I Majored in Romance" weren't bad either. Clearly Baker's rising tide brought up the work all around him.

IMG_6441.JPG

IMG_6443.JPG

IMG_6444.JPG

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

On 10/6/2018 at 10:55 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Got this low grade Teen-Age Romances 31 recently and was reading through it and was struck by the art in the "My Hear was Adrift" story at the end. Does anyone know who did this? Really nice girl art.

I gotta say the Nina Albright pencils in "I Majored in Romance" weren't bad either. Clearly Baker's rising tide brought up the work all around him.

IMG_6441.JPG

IMG_6443.JPG

IMG_6444.JPG

Always loved that cover and am proud to own one. I still haven’t decided whose face appears more priceless… The babe in the forefront, or her rejectee? 

36A7A3AA-230B-4F0F-81B0-14FC51B91068.jpeg

1 hour ago, Microbia said:

Always loved that cover and am proud to own one. I still haven’t decided whose face appears more priceless… The babe in the forefront, or her rejectee? 

36A7A3AA-230B-4F0F-81B0-14FC51B91068.jpeg

Wow.  That copy might be the nicest I've seen.  Perfect centering, no cover tanning or big tears and white pages... :x

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

Wow.  That copy might be the nicest I've seen.  Perfect centering, no cover tanning or big tears and white pages... :x

I miss my old copy @Microbia

Shown with permission of current owner

8A6C3EF5-5D58-4F0E-9DBB-1298437103D0.jpeg

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

26 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

My copies are like this where the "forget her, Danny..." word balloon is right at the edge or over it (AND much, much, much lower grade).

3 hours ago, Yorick said:
3 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

My copies are like this where the "forget her, Danny..." word balloon is right at the edge or over it (AND much, much, much lower grade).

Most of the text in the balloon seems to be there on mine, although it does look like the cover was drawn a bit too wide. 

IMG_1317.JPG.jpeg

On 9/26/2018 at 1:39 PM, comicnoir said:
On 9/20/2018 at 9:35 PM, torontodesignguy said:

congrats on a beautiful copy ---- and maybe it's just me..as I've not read it previously but what's up with creepy 5 fingers plus thumb? 

Well, Disney drew Mickey Mouse with only three fingers, supposedly to save on ink.  Maybe St John wanted to show he was no cheapskate by having his artists draw figures with six fingers?  Nah, not plausible because we all know that St John was a cheapskate! :)