• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,554 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

painted yes.  I like 27 especially.

but the marketplace has spoken, nobody's wallet ever thought it looked Baker or even Bakerish

Bakeristic? Bakerian? hm

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that "Downes" (sp?) did the painted covers of TAR (26-30).  His/her artwork is signed on some covers of Manhunt.

19 hours ago, Yorick said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that "Downes" (sp?) did the painted covers of TAR (26-30).  His/her artwork is signed on some covers of Manhunt.

Warren King is credited with the painted cover for APC 30.  I wonder if he's another candidate as the artist on the TARs?

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Warren King is credited with the painted cover for APC 30.  I wonder if he's another candidate as the artist on the TARs?

Does not look like King's work to me.  I have a couple of King's St John covers (GCD look-up "Adventures in Romance").  His colors are blended so cleanly (almost looks like watercolor - AND those huge highlight areas) where-as Downes is a bit choppier (shorter strokes in acrylic, perhaps?) and covers the full page with color.  They're both terrific - just not Baker-ific.

On 10/10/2018 at 5:32 PM, Yorick said:

There's so much commonality in the style of those four covers that I agree there was only one painter.  Could there have been a Baker sketch or panel that inspired part of one of them?  Maybe...

On 10/10/2018 at 3:57 PM, Inaflash said:

BC500C04-688B-42B0-AB41-BF60F39A0355.jpeg

On 10/10/2018 at 9:58 AM, Robot Man said:

Anybody know the cover artist for this book? Did Baker do any painted covers like this?

B544AD90-7CEE-41B2-A907-8D37179850B2.jpeg

This two look Bakerish, could they be Baker layouts. Baker did Magazine Illustrations. 

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Found at a local store for a dollar today.  As near as I can tell, even as a reprint it's the the last Baker Romance story to ever appear in a newsstand comic:

Our_Love_Story_38.jpg

Our_Love_Story_38_i.jpg

Great catch! And it's not noted in either Overstreet or The Art of Glamour.

3 hours ago, MBFan said:
5 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Found at a local store for a dollar today.  As near as I can tell, even as a reprint it's the the last Baker Romance story to ever appear in a newsstand comic:

Our_Love_Story_38.jpg

Our_Love_Story_38_i.jpg

Great catch! And it's not noted in either Overstreet or The Art of Glamour.

New one on me.  GCD does have it and notes that it's a reprint from Lovers 85.

Seems likely that you're right that it's the last Baker romance story to see (re)print. 

...Speaking of so is it Baker or not, this one was credited to him in Overstreet (and still is) and in the Alter Ego piece that predated The Art of Glamour for cover and interiors. It's not listed in TAOG, cover nor interiors. 

Of all the covers debated about in regards to the Quality Pub. books, this one was always the ''weakest' to me. Yet, there is something about the Soldier. And most of Baker's Quality covers feature a woman crying hm

Really heavy ink job, or a miscall all these years? 

Love Confessions #49.jpg

IMG_4484.JPG

15 hours ago, sagii said:

...Speaking of so is it Baker or not, this one was credited to him in Overstreet (and still is) and in the Alter Ego piece that predated The Art of Glamour for cover and interiors. It's not listed in TAOG, cover nor interiors. 

Of all the covers debated about in regards to the Quality Pub. books, this one was always the ''weakest' to me. Yet, there is something about the Soldier. And most of Baker's Quality covers feature a woman crying hm

Really heavy ink job, or a miscall all these years? 

Love Confessions #49.jpg

IMG_4484.JPG

I would be in the not Baker camp on the cover, although the soldier's face does look Bakerish.  Maybe even a paste-in of a Baker figure from another source? 

The art in the story could be Baker.  I don't see anything on those two pages that would definitely rule the possibility out for me. hm

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

This has gotta be the ugliest babe Baker ever drew!

03506076-D255-4EE6-8740-05B09B2023E7.jpeg

Maybe he was trying to make her look ugly?hm

For his romance books, I think this was his worst cover.

blu910a_zps1441cc26.JPG