• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,551 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I would be in the not Baker camp on the cover, although the soldier's face does look Bakerish.  Maybe even a paste-in of a Baker figure from another source? 

The art in the story could be Baker.  I don't see anything on those two pages that would definitely rule the possibility out for me. hm

Thanks for opining T.

Your theory on the soldier maybe correct. And yes, the interiors could still possibly get a Baker designation. 

10 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Maybe he was trying to make her look ugly?hm

For his romance books, I think this was his worst cover.

blu910a_zps1441cc26.JPG

Didn't know that to be a possible 'silent' consensus lol. That one can always be 'got' for a song when it pops up when compared to other St. John Baker romance from what i've noticed. 

On 10/14/2018 at 11:12 AM, Sqeggs said:

Maybe he was trying to make her look ugly?hm

For his romance books, I think this was his worst cover.

blu910a_zps1441cc26.JPG

This is one "Baker" cover I have not yet purchased, and I may never. To me, it looks more like Chuck Miller, who drew eyebrows in such a way that characters appear to be constantly surprised. Miller did quite a bit of "Bakerish" (but substandard) art for St. John. Perhaps this is Baker inking Miller or vice versa. 

53 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Still my favorite Baker romance cover. Had color touch removed

fc slab.jpg

Nice cover. I can't recall outside of Rick's Threads if iv'e seen a copy for sale anywhere else..

18 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I bought a raw copy on eBay about 2 to 3 years ago.  Seller called it a Good and it came back from CGC as a 3.0.

I kinda thought you would have an idea. Couldn't recall seeing yours posted, but i knew you had to have one since you are only one certain book away from completing the Baker St. John Romance run. 

3 minutes ago, sagii said:

I kinda thought you would have an idea. Couldn't recall seeing yours posted, but i knew you had to have one since you are only one certain book away from completing the Baker St. John Romance run. 

Now that's a book that I've never seen for sale anywhere! :cry:

3 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Still my favorite Baker romance cover. Had color touch removed

fc slab.jpg

Is that white line in the lower left the "removal"?

I got my copy in a Feebay lot in 2009.  It was kinda hidden behind the other books.  I don't recall seeing Sqeggs copy sell on feebay, otherwise I'd have bid on it!

18 hours ago, Silver said:

my newest acquisition in my tiny Baker collection:

tlp4cgc.jpg

Cool!  Are the colors in the title actually that light or is the scanner messing with the hue?

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:08 PM, Silver said:

my newest acquisition in my tiny Baker collection:

tlp4cgc.jpg

Just a great issue- one of my faves.  Too bad it's locked up in plastic; it has some 41 pages of wonderful Baker art inside.  You need a low grade reader of this one.  (I do, too, for that matter...)  

14 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

One in a blue moon, blue would print as purple. I had an issue of another title, same thing. It's a rarity.  Nice one, Danny!

That happens sometimes, but also, as the colors mellow over time, due to light exposure, etc., the blues often become closer to purple.  I've seen it many times, especially on certain EC covers.  

Just now, 29dukedog said:

That happens sometimes, but also, as the colors mellow over time, due to light exposure, etc., the blues often become closer to purple.  I've seen it many times, especially on certain EC covers.  

I've seen it on everything. Movie posters, VHS boxes, paperback spines. That looks more like a sun fade.

4 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Mine is a cherry copy, color-wise.  Although, I often wonder if it's possible to square up the spine to it's correct right angle.  As you can see, the spine is starting to lean over a little. 

Does anyone know if that can be fixed somehow?  

tlp4_pb.jpg

Can definitely be fixed. I’ve had it done. CCS can handle it, if you want to go that route.