• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,509 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Bumble Kitty said:

This just came in today.  I tried to sell it raw at SDCC this year and I had no takers.  I even received one disparaging remark about the book.  I had graded it as VG.

So I submitted it for grading (straight sub, no pressing) and I braced for a grade of 3.0 to 3.5, because CGC had been hard on my last few submits.  Plus I had no interest from others in the book.  So look what CGC thought...

Diary Secrets 22 front.jpg

Nice!  Grade seems accurate to me, just judging by the front cover.  

To me, judging from the front cover scan, it presents like an easy 8.0 every day and twice on sunday.  Obviously something up with the book that's not obvious in a scan.  Or some serious bc stuff.

In other words, it looks like the poster child for a 4.5 in a face forward slab, which is all most care about anyway.  Not counting the miscut - which CGC won't but which a buyer might.

Good job, Roland!  Great eye, as always.   (thumbsu

On 12/11/2018 at 2:27 PM, szavisca said:

Just finished off the Nightmare 13, AGS 14-16 set with this less than hundred dollar Baker that just got back from Sarasota

AGS16cgc55.jpg

Excellent.  You've done a great job of pulling together the non-romance books.

6 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Got a new dress for my favorite lady.... mentioned a while back I'd convinced CGC to update a Baker cover attribution.  It only took sending them a polite email pointing out that Art of Glamour, OPG, GCD, and JVJ in a few articles attributed the PL 13 cover to Baker and they kindly agreed to update the label.  I'm  not sure if I'm in the minority or not, but I really really dislike the look of the old label holders so it was worth a few bucks to me to get my number 1 book into a new holder.

PL13cgc85newholder.jpg

:applause:Congrats!

Nice work!

20 hours ago, szavisca said:

Got a new dress for my favorite lady.... mentioned a while back I'd convinced CGC to update a Baker cover attribution.  It only took sending them a polite email pointing out that Art of Glamour, OPG, GCD, and JVJ in a few articles attributed the PL 13 cover to Baker and they kindly agreed to update the label.  I'm  not sure if I'm in the minority or not, but I really really dislike the look of the old label holders so it was worth a few bucks to me to get my number 1 book into a new holder.

PL13cgc85newholder.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous!

20 hours ago, szavisca said:

PL13cgc85newholder.jpg

Such a wonderful book!  Great that you got it properly labeled and in the new slab. 

On 12/11/2018 at 12:27 PM, szavisca said:

Just finished off the Nightmare 13, AGS 14-16 set with this less than hundred dollar Baker that just got back from Sarasota

AGS16cgc55.jpg

Less than a hundred?  That tells me the seller had no clue it was Baker, or maybe even who Baker was...hm

On 12/15/2018 at 8:08 PM, comicnoir said:

That DS 30 is nice. Looks better than the grade. Is there moisture damage and a tear on the bottom?

I can't quite remember.  I'll have to dig it out and take a look. 

I'm thinking there's (at least) a third giant girl cover from that period out there.  Can anybody think of one?

I can't think offhand of another cover where Baker was (apparently) doing a semi-swipe of another artist's cover.