• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,551 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, comicnoir said:

!!!

Well this’ll be interesting...wonder if it can break 100k.  I wouldn’t call it one of his best covers but there’s only this and 6 out there as far as OA goes ... as far as I know.  It does beg the question, does the OA for 4 exist?

1 hour ago, szavisca said:
2 hours ago, MBFan said:

This is the only surviving Matt Baker cover OA that I am aware of. Has anyone else ever seen Baker cover OA?

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=593266

I've seen that piece in person when it was for sale for a ridiculously small price.  Lots of white out and colorist notes that were super distracting. 

It looks like that gallery owner is sharing scan of a photo copy.

5 hours ago, szavisca said:

!!!

Well this’ll be interesting...wonder if it can break 100k.  I wouldn’t call it one of his best covers but there’s only this and 6 out there as far as OA goes ... as far as I know.  It does beg the question, does the OA for 4 exist?

I do not believe it will break 100.

I think 50-65 will be final hammer range. 

1 minute ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

If there was an abundance of good baker OA out there I’d say 30-40k....but there’s not.

I’d say 50k is a safe bet, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see an Uber rich guy fight take it way higher.

3 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:
8 hours ago, szavisca said:

!!!

Even that seems high to me, but I'm not a fan of this cover.  It took me quite a while to pick up a copy of this issue and it was more for completeness sake.  I think this OA and some of the Flamingo OA that's surfaced comes from the files of Universal Phoenix Features Syndicate, which was run by Iger and Eisner. The Art of Glamour book shows some other Baker romance OA, although not any covers, iirc. 

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Even that seems high to me, but I'm not a fan of this cover.  It took me quite a while to pick up a copy of this issue and it was more for completeness sake.  I think this OA and some of the Flamingo OA that's surfaced comes from the files of Universal Phoenix Features Syndicate, which was run by Iger and Eisner. The Art of Glamour book shows some other Baker romance OA, although not any covers, iirc. 

I don't disagree. Even 35-40 would not surprise me much.

I believe that some (most? all?) of the OA shown in The Art of Glamour is owned by the Baker family.  I assume that they were stray pieces that for some reason were in his possession when he died. 

9 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I believe that some (most? all?) of the OA shown in The Art of Glamour is owned by the Baker family.  I assume that they were stray pieces that for some reason were in his possession when he died. 

Matt Baker may take some/most/all of his OA from St John Publishers after Archer St. John passing away in 1955. Four years later he passed away. Probably all of his possessions were taken by his family.  That is nearly 60 years ago. I am sure most Baker family members should be dead now.