• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,498 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Why press it?  I don't think it'll improve the book to make the cost worth it.  Maybe more harm than good...  That spine looks fragile.

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

I have a suspicion that you're right that it's too fragile to press, although a press might approve its appearance.  CCS is very good about rejecting books that it feels might be damaged by a press. I've had books rejected that I thought were sturdy enough, but I bowed to their judgment. 

Yeah, I will leave it to the experts to determine if improvements can be made.

The TLP #8 showed up outside Winston-Salem, NC in an online auction - with a twist. Once the online portion ended, apparently it was THEN opened to a live floor location for bidding.  I called, I spoke with the auctioneer, who said just bid online...and refused to take an absentee bid, refused to take/make calls during the live bidding as well.  The site locked up/did not accept my bid when I was trying to snipe/leave in the last minute.  :( It happens.

tlp8.jpg

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Thanks to a very nice boardie (with an assist from another very nice boardie), :foryou::foryou: I have finally landed the last book that I needed to complete the Baker St John romance run.  :banana::banana::banana::banana: 

Well done and on St Valentine's day as well.<3:golfclap:

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, and all the ships at sea, a magic moment in my collecting life has arrived! :acclaim:

Thanks to a very nice boardie (with an assist from another very nice boardie), :foryou::foryou: I have finally landed the last book that I needed to complete the Baker St John romance run.  :banana::banana::banana::banana: 

2019-02-14-0001.jpg

Those of who got to the game late realize what an incredible, and now next-to-impossible, accomplishment this is. Major congratulations! I am in awe of your collecting prowess.

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, and all the ships at sea, a magic moment in my collecting life has arrived! :acclaim:

2019-02-14-0001.jpg

Truly an epic accomplishment.

Massive congratulations! Now about that group shot...gonna need a small crane and a high powered lens

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Yes, it was already slabbed.  I think the contents are rebound returned books.  So they may vary from copy to copy.

I think in the days of milk being home delivered (still was happening when I was very young), homemakers having affairs with (or running away with) the milkman was a staple of comedians. 

Jeez is that suppose to be a milkman? I thought it was a sailor. Who runs away with a milkman?

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

2019-02-14-0001.jpg

What an incredible accomplishment! :applause: How many issues do you need to complete your Baker St. John crime run?

7 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

2019-02-14-0001.jpg

Congrats, only East Coast guys would know about RT 202 where that romance began 

20 hours ago, Sackolantern said:

The TLP #8 showed up outside Winston-Salem, NC in an online auction - with a twist. Once the online portion ended, apparently it was THEN opened to a live floor location for bidding.  I called, I spoke with the auctioneer, who said just bid online...and refused to take an absentee bid, refused to take/make calls during the live bidding as well.  The site locked up/did not accept my bid when I was trying to snipe/leave in the last minute.  :( It happens.

tlp8.jpg

I wouldn't be crazy about the method of running the auction if I were a consignor.

17 hours ago, comicjack said:

Congrats, only East Coast guys would know about RT 202 where that romance began 

I've driven on it a number of times.  Can't recall any milk trucks careening down the road with an attractive woman in the passenger seat.  Maybe I don't drive the more romantic section. hm

19 hours ago, MBFan said:

Those of who got to the game late realize what an incredible, and now next-to-impossible, accomplishment this is. Major congratulations! I am in awe of your collecting prowess.

Hydrated, you just have to stay hydrated.  That's the key!

19 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

What an incredible accomplishment! :applause: How many issues do you need to complete your Baker St. John crime run?

I've got all the crime books as well.  Wrt his St John work, I'm still missing a few of his Westerns and a few of his horror books.  The prices on those have been heading north at a rapid rate, but I'll eventually track them down. 

19 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Truly an epic accomplishment.

Massive congratulations! Now about that group shot...gonna need a small crane and a high powered lens

At some point I might do a thread on them like the excellent thread that @Zolnerowich did for his Planet books.  Of course, my thread won't be as riveting as his. Rivets, Planets, get it? :roflmao: Ok, ok, :sorry:

At some point I might do a thread on them like the excellent thread that @Zolnerowich did for his Planet books.  Of course, my thread won't be as riveting as his. Rivets, Planets, get it? :roflmao: Ok, ok, :sorry:

Huh? What? How’d I even end up in this durned thread anyhow?!? B|

On 2/14/2019 at 2:43 PM, Sqeggs said:

2019-02-14-0001.jpg

Terrific! 

How many Baker romance books were there?

And for your next act?:popcorn:

On 2/14/2019 at 11:43 AM, Sqeggs said:

2019-02-14-0001.jpg

Wow, just wow Tony. That is truly an astounding feat! I can't think of anyone else has done that. These books are SO hard to find and such a beautiful copy to end it with. As Mitch would say CONG!