• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,498 posts in this topic

It would probably be easier to list individual issues that are tough rather than runs.  Certain issues even within "easy" runs may be tough to find.  The last issue of TAR comes to mind...

5 hours ago, Jonathan78 said:

Don’t have many Bakers but thankful to have this one in spite of the restoration 

80128A82-C1CD-48F9-AAB4-742DF425BCFC.jpeg

I like that cover a lot.  It looks like there's a 6.5 on the census since last I checked.

On 2/15/2019 at 7:47 PM, Zolnerowich said:
On 2/15/2019 at 3:27 PM, Sqeggs said:

At some point I might do a thread on them like the excellent thread that @Zolnerowich did for his Planet books.  Of course, my thread won't be as riveting as his. Rivets, Planets, get it? :roflmao: Ok, ok, :sorry:

Huh? What? How’d I even end up in this durned thread anyhow?!? B|

As if there's a better thread to be in. :taptaptap:

On 2/15/2019 at 7:52 PM, Zolnerowich said:

Terrific! 

How many Baker romance books were there?

And for your next act?:popcorn:

A bunch! Dr. Love undoubtedly has the actual number. 

Next act? hm All the Four Colors?  Need a huge amount of space to store all those babies. :whatthe:

On 2/15/2019 at 7:52 PM, Robot Man said:

Wow, just wow Tony. That is truly an astounding feat! I can't think of anyone else has done that. These books are SO hard to find and such a beautiful copy to end it with. As Mitch would say CONG!

Thanks, Bob.  I guess the next step is to try to get all the other Baker St Johns.  I'm fairly close on that one, although I'm short a few Westerns and a couple of horror.

On 2/15/2019 at 7:54 PM, Robot Man said:

Now, like GA-Tor did with his Centaurs, a one a day posting of the whole collection with a little story about each would be awsome!

Been sooo busy lately, but I would like to do that at some point, if people can stand to read through it all.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:03 PM, szav said:

Couple "cheap" ones have returned to me...although these don't seem so cheap anymore lately.  Pretty happy with the Hawk 10, haven't seen many of these...although there is a low grade copy on Superworld if anyone's dying for one.

APC29cgc45.jpg

Texan8cgc6.jpg

Hawk10cgc65.jpg

Really like the Hawk 10.  Baker never went the easy way with his St John covers.  Across genres, he rarely repeated himself.  I like Colletta's Atlas romance covers, but he repeated the "lovers in a tight clinch" cover many times.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:47 PM, Robot Man said:

Nice! I'll jump in that pool too. That redhead is smokin'. It took a while but people finally got wise that all of Baker's best work wasn't just romance. I have quietly been picking up decent copies of these APC for years and am just down to a couple now.

comauthpolicecases29.jpg

My copy. 

2018-01-03-0001_zpsnmactrjm.JPG

On 2/23/2019 at 4:35 PM, Robot Man said:

Many thanks to a couple of great boardies (you know who you are). A nice copy of one of my big wants is now in the junk pile! So stoked to cross the last of my Crowns off the list!  :x

FA30F21E-464A-48B8-9A82-072C7DD8448D.jpeg

7B60825F-694B-4D28-BF4E-67357FD1ABC1.jpeg

Good work!  Crown is an odd series and tough to assemble them all.  I think I'm still missing a couple of the non-Bakers.  Won this one very recently.  Don't recall ever having seen a copy before.

01777911640000112003474018.jpg

1 minute ago, Dr. Love said:

fyi, 177.  Welcome back, Phantom Stranger!

Thanks. I was stuck on 176 for a long time.  I can't seem to @ you for some reason.  @Dr. Love and, of course, this time it worked!

4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Good work!  Crown is an odd series and tough to assemble them all.  I think I'm still missing a couple of the non-Bakers.  Won this one very recently.  Don't recall ever having seen a copy before.

01777911640000112003474018.jpg

Good to see you back. I figured once you got down with your Baker love books, you dumped us...:roflmao:

On 3/16/2019 at 8:49 PM, OtherEric said:

Listed in Overstreet as Baker, but not on the Grand Comics Database.  A quick look and none of the stories scream Baker, although that could be the code changes.  Anybody know for sure?

Love_Secrets_55.jpg

The Art of Glamour checklists credits Baker with the story, "Whom Shall I Marry?"