• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,549 posts in this topic

On 3/17/2019 at 10:28 AM, szav said:

Yep...got this from Metro 2 years ago for $15 as a VF.  Thought I read somewhere that this stamp means this book is an actual in house file/reference copy used by Dell or their printer? Anyone know if that's accurate?

LassieFileCopy.jpg

LassieInterior.jpg

That's accurate.  To my mind (to rehash an ancient debate) these are the only type of books that should be labeled "File Copy."  Most of the so-called file copies are really just warehouse finds.

On 3/20/2019 at 12:29 PM, PeterPark said:

The more I think about it, the more I think Diary Secrets combined with Teen-Age Diary Secrets and Blue Ribbon and the nn issue is the hardest Baker St. John run to complete. Any thoughts on what the ranking of runs would be?

I think I'd agree with you TDS 9 and Diary Secrets nn are two of the very toughest Bakers to find. 

On 3/28/2019 at 4:59 PM, sacentaur said:
On 3/28/2019 at 4:57 PM, Robot Man said:

Where’s Sqeggs? Gets himself a full Baker run, then disappears...(shrug)

I chatted with him yesterday, he’s been very busy but will be back soon. :foryou:

And here I am! :acclaim:

On 3/27/2019 at 4:47 PM, Yorick said:

I'm not sure I would lump those all together.  Blue Ribbon with those funny animal issues doesn't jive with the romance (and I hate the #2 cover).  I've always focused on "runs" as the GCD labels them.  Having said that, photo covers was never my thing and I didn't pursue the Teen-age Diary Secrets issues.  I would say with the Marilyn issue and the pocket sized issues that you'd have a tough time finishing that set (Marilyn only because its expensive...).  As for the Diary Secrets, the NN issue is pretty scarce and is one of three I would need to complete that run (if you consider the NN as part of the run).  Diary Secrets is definitely a tough one to assemble.

Do you also consider Going Steady as part of the Teen-age Temptations set?  And what was Romantic Marriage a continuation of?

It seems to me that the toughest run would be All-Picture All-True Love Story.  It all depends on the books you decide to include in your "runs".

GCD has the St John Romantic Marriage run as a continuation of the Ziff-Davis RM run.  The St John RM run then continues with CL 25-29.

RM 23 and 24 and CL 25-29 make up a terrific six-issue run of Baker covers.  Some of his best work. 

36 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Good to see you back. I figured once you got down with your Baker love books, you dumped us...:roflmao:

It is true that you guys aren't much use to me any more! :insane:

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

Happy to have a copy - any copy - of this tall Baker:

809FDF65-1ED4-454E-8C6E-EAE2C78F31B9.jpeg

The missing corner probably brought the grade down, but it was only after I looked carefully at the book that I even noticed it.  Blends in well with the sand. That copy presents very well.

9 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

The Art of Glamour checklists credits Baker with the story, "Whom Shall I Marry?"

Thank you.  A closer look shows Baker's hand clearly, but there's quite a bit that doesn't look that much like his work as well.  Very happy to have it at all.

3 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

DS 16 is one of Baker’s best covers, IMHO (I recently upgraded to a 6.5).

I agree.  It's such a happy scene.  Looks like maybe a briefcase and a spiral notebook in the foreground.  Maybe they're on a lunch break from the office or, better yet!, playing hooky.  

They do some to be a trifle close to the edge of that cliff, though. :whatthe:

7 hours ago, comicnoir said:

I just saw a copy of this book sell here and I realized I'd never scanned my copy. One of the first Baker romances I ever picked up. Price? $10.00.

diary secrets 16.jpeg

This really is a great looking copy of a spectacular book, but I think you overpaid for it :baiting: