• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,509 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

THAT is what I am looking for. I know where one is but money will not seem to buy it. 

The copy you just sold looks pretty darn good (color-wise).  Red as deep as mine, but much darker blue.

The guy's coat is pretty blue on my copy, but the reds are orange. Don't know whether the reds were just more susceptible to fading or if it was a printing problem. 

image_zpse0aca963.JPG

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

The guy's coat is pretty blue on my copy, but the reds are orange. Don't know whether the reds were just more susceptible to fading or if it was a printing problem. 

I would guess it's a printing issue.  There is a really good thread about production issues that I was reading, and St John books have examples of every flaw that was mentioned.  Mostly, I love my St John error copies (except when they come back with a purple label).

...btw, since this thread is devoted to Mr. Baker, I’ll share a take for the fans.  Someone asked who should be on the Mount Rushmore of comic book artists.   Will Eisner, Lou Fine, and Jack Kirby are 3 easy choices that it would be hard to replace with others.  If anyone included Schomburg, Adams, Romita, or Frazetta, none could easily be excluded.  And there are others.  For me, I’ll leave Adams, Romita, and Frazetta off the monument.   So, 5 guys, 4 spots.   I’m not sure which one of Eisner, Fine, and Kirby doesn’t make it, but one of ‘em.  Baker and Schomburg are the two with no peers in my opinion, none.   As much as we appreciate him, he’s under-appreciated.  The magic in New York at the time was something else I bet.  Does anyone know anything about his death?  He has a heart attack at 38?  There’s got to be more to the story...

Edited by eschnit

Yorick's copy of Diary Secrets #16 is the reddest I can remember seeing. Up until now, I thought the color was supposed to lean towards orange, like on mine below.

Red is notorious for fading more than most other colors, whether it's on a comic cover, a 1959 sunburst Gibson Les Paul guitar or even the "Star Spangled Banner" flag in the Smithsonian. Additionally, many St. John books show signs of cheap printing practices. I have several books that I'm pretty sure are not faded, but just didn't get enough ink in the first place because the printer let it run out and didn't stop the presses to refill. 

Diary Secrets 16 front.JPG

Edited by MBFan

17 hours ago, MBFan said:

Yorick's copy of Diary Secrets #16 is the reddest I can remember seeing. Up until now, I thought the color was supposed to lean towards orange, like on mine below.

Red is notorious for fading more than most other colors, whether it's on a comic cover, a 1959 sunburst Gibson Les Paul guitar or even the "Star Spangled Banner" flag in the Smithsonian. Additionally, many St. John books show signs of cheap printing practices. I have several books that I'm pretty sure are not faded, but just didn't get enough ink in the first place because the printer let it run out and didn't stop the presses to refill. 

So, in reading the thread on production issues, apparently when they are printing a run of books there is a guy (or gal) who oversees the color densities.  After seeing the first few issues run off the press, any color (Cyan Magenta Yellow Key) can be adjusted up or down.  Perhaps we don't get enough Red (Magenta in the CMYK world) on the woman's dress because of the mixing inks.  Lighter colors print first (Yellow), and there is definitely yellow tones on the dress that are not on the title (or is there yellow peaking out under the title?).

With most copies being on the Orange side, I'd imagine that the Red copies were at the front of the run before the adjustment was made to Orange.  I think if the Red ink was running out, we'd see some REALLY Yellow copies.

(shrug)

On 4/1/2019 at 2:05 PM, Sqeggs said:

Good work!  Crown is an odd series and tough to assemble them all.  I think I'm still missing a couple of the non-Bakers.  Won this one very recently.  Don't recall ever having seen a copy before.

01777911640000112003474018.jpg

My (recently) old copy. Congrats Tony!!

On 4/5/2019 at 8:23 PM, sacentaur said:

According to an article over at Fox today, the cover model is 50’s sex siren Joi Lansing. Not too often that we see romance books/St. John displayed in the mainstream media.

DB08A537-937C-4FBC-9370-30BF3538E5A3.jpeg

Thanks for this.  I googled her, WoW!  What a bombshell!  The article about her was about a book written about her.  Very interesting!