• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,498 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Mayor006 said:

And here's apparently the only graded copy. Any insight into this book would be appreciated!

20190423_162425.jpg

Many legitimate sources consider it a Baker cover (pencils only, one of 5? for Atlas) under HEAVY Vince Colletta inks which almost mask all traces of Baker except to the very sharp eye. 

I have one too but when I submit to CGC I will request a  Baker cover notation on the label citing 'Art of Glamour', and GCD among others.  

Nice copy. Congrats !

19 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Relisted as a BIN for $650 less. 

hm

Shady seeming for sure...definitely an underrated Baker (formerly) and deserving of much of the recent love it's gotten imo.  Love the timeless surreal quality of the cover.  One of those books that at a casual glance most people wouldn't be able to tell you what decade it was drawn. But still surprised to see it get $2,800 at 7.0 ... it seems to be the most common of the 4 Nightmare/Amazing Ghost Stories mini-run.  

On 4/15/2019 at 11:11 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Well, let's bring this thread off of page 3 in style :foryou:

Much thanks to a legendary boardie for allowing me to add this highest graded copy to my top 3 favorite books in my collection. NFS

IMG_1543.JPG

Yowza!  Given the date of this post, I guess I know what you did with your tax refund! :)

On 4/17/2019 at 12:30 AM, OtherEric said:

A couple more in today.  I'll take what I can get with Baker; it won't be very long before "not much left to find in my price range" becomes "nothing left to find".

Lassie_21.jpg

Fightin_Marines_02.jpg

Fightin' Marines 2 is one of the toughest issues in the run.  It's too bad this one has the panels on the left, because the main panel on the right is so good.

On 4/19/2019 at 5:07 PM, OtherEric said:

So, a bit later than would normally go here, but got this one today:

It's from the 70's, but it reprints the entirety of the Baker run on Lassie; all 94 pages.  I think this actually qualifies as the first Baker collected edition; although it has stories by other creators as well.

Lassie_Golden_Press.jpg

Nice!  I'll try to track one of these down.  I've never collected (or read) Baker's Lassie books. 

17 hours ago, sagii said:
17 hours ago, Mayor006 said:

And here's apparently the only graded copy. Any insight into this book would be appreciated!

20190423_162425.jpg

Many legitimate sources consider it a Baker cover (pencils only, one of 5? for Atlas) under HEAVY Vince Colletta inks which almost mask all traces of Baker except to the very sharp eye. 

I have one too but when I submit to CGC I will request a  Baker cover notation on the label citing 'Art of Glamour', and GCD among others.  

Nice copy. Congrats !

I agree that it looks like Baker, although the woman looks very much like Colletta.  I also wonder whether Colletta did the layouts because the composition seems more like what he did than what Baker did.  I've made this point a bunch of times before, but I do wonder what was going on with Baker during this period because there is such a falloff from the great work he was doing near the end at St John to the mediocre stuff he turned out for Quality and Atlas. 

Edited by Sqeggs

10 hours ago, szav said:

Shady seeming for sure...definitely an underrated Baker (formerly) and deserving of much of the recent love it's gotten imo.  Love the timeless surreal quality of the cover.  One of those books that at a casual glance most people wouldn't be able to tell you what decade it was drawn. But still surprised to see it get $2,800 at 7.0 ... it seems to be the most common of the 4 Nightmare/Amazing Ghost Stories mini-run.  

Does seem odd, particularly with the many bids by the guy with 15 fb.  Is bakerfan a boardie?  

8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I agree that it looks like Baker, although the woman looks very much like Colletta.  I also wonder whether Colletta did the layouts because the composition seems more like what he did than what Baker did.  I've made this point a bunch of times before, but I do wonder what was going with Baker during this period because there is such a falloff from the great work he was doing near the end at St John to the mediocre stuff he turned out for Quality and Atlas. 

:hi:Welcome to the Boards  :kidaround:

10 hours ago, comicnoir said:
10 hours ago, kat123 said:

looks like first bidder back out, second bidder was offer book for less. 

But you can't contact underbidders on ebay. Bakerfan had to relist it as a BIN. It doesn't say who bought it.

There wasn't much time between the end of the auction and the relist as a BIN, right?  Makes you wonder how the seller could have known so quickly that the winner wouldn't be paying. Unless the winner was concerned by the multiple bids from Mr. fb15. Just rank speculation on my part, of course.