• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,498 posts in this topic

Although not noted on the label, this book includes one of his last (sci-fi) stories.  Also not on the label is that this is the Boston copy.  Strangely enough, I bought this one as a C*B*C*S 7.0 OW.  Had it pressed but didn't notice (through the slab) that there were pressable defects likely to cause this big a jump in grade.  Plus a significant jump in pq.  Unless I somehow mixed up the entry in my spreadsheet. hm

2019-04-27-0001.jpg

Edited by Sqeggs

19 minutes ago, szav said:

Relatively cheap ebay pickup raw from a few months ago back home to me from CGC...same auction where high grade raw copies of the Texan 8 and Western Bandit trails both went around 1k

Texan4cgc7.jpg

An under rated Baker Girl cover imho.  Very well done my friend! :applause:

6 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Although not noted on the label, this book includes one of his last (sci-fi) stories.  Also not on the label is that this is the Boston copy.  Strangely enough, I bought this one as a C*B*C*S 7.0 OW.  Had it pressed but didn't notice (through the slab) that there were pressable defects likely to cause this big a jump in grade.  Plus a significant jump in pq.  Unless I somehow mixed up the entry in my spreadsheet. hm

2019-04-27-0001.jpg

Very nice.  And another to add to my list of affordable Baker books I can still look for. (Or, more accurately, an affordable Baker book I looked for and ordered quickly.)

On 4/27/2019 at 11:53 PM, OtherEric said:

Very nice.  And another to add to my list of affordable Baker books I can still look for. (Or, more accurately, an affordable Baker book I looked for and ordered quickly.)

Just arrived today; not nearly as nice as @Sqeggs copy so no need to show mine.

I've got to say, the Baker story in this issue inspires a very strong reaction from me.  Specifically, I want to travel back in time and slap Vince Colletta for the hack job he did inking the story. :devil:

20 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Just arrived today; not nearly as nice as @Sqeggs copy so no need to show mine.

I've got to say, the Baker story in this issue inspires a very strong reaction from me.  Specifically, I want to travel back in time and slap Vince Colletta for the hack job he did inking the story. :devil:

My copy was slabbed when I got it.  Is the little circular insert of the Baker Xondu story taken from a panel?  If so, then I guess this one would count as partially Baker cover. 

Bought this one raw awhile ago from Terry's as a 4.5.  Happy with how it turned out.  H/T to whoever pointed out its availability to me -- unfortunately, I've forgotten who it was.

Oddity about the scan:  The ghost image from the inside cover and the staining are both almost invisible in hand -- or else my eyes ain't what they used to be. :preach:

2019-05-02-0001.jpg

6 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

My copy was slabbed when I got it.  Is the little circular insert of the Baker Xondu story taken from a panel?  If so, then I guess this one would count as partially Baker cover. 

It is not, sadly.

If you want to see the story it's here:

https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/preview/index.php?did=8102&page=8

16 hours ago, szav said:

Boy is it nice when a cheap ebay win of a fuzzy pic tightly graded book ends up looking this nice in hand.  My junky iPhone photos don't do the gloss or rich colors on this copy justice.  Been looking for a copy of this possibly best Baker non-babe cover book for a while :) 

Hawk12vgf.jpg

Awesome.  I like the Hawk covers quite a bit.

1 hour ago, Microbia said:

Niiiiiiice!