• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,502 posts in this topic

On 7/15/2019 at 11:36 AM, sacentaur said:

Three fresh white-pagers from Torpedo Con yesterday (The Texan is a tall issue).

F837BE72-9D57-4D71-AF5F-B4F442E3C23A.jpeg

I'm very upset with myself for passing on The Hawk issues all this time...

3 hours ago, PeterPark said:
18 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I'm sure you'll eventually track them down.

Maybe the toughest to find is the Texan 3D. I can't seem to find a scan of my copy. It's a VGish raw. Never seen a high-grade copy and there are no copies on the census. I don't even see it listed on GCD, although it may be there somewhere. 

I haven't seen this one...only the Hawk 3-D...please find it!

doh! No wonder I couldn't find it! I was thinking of the Hawk 3-D.

Don't seem to be any on the census, although it is listed on GCD. 

2018-06-09-0001_zpsnjzgbvfg.JPG

On 7/15/2019 at 8:44 PM, JvR11 said:

Back in 2009, I went to an estate auction and these were in a box.  I still have some but most have moved on.  My best Baker find ever in one location.  What's your best

Baker find?

Estate2.thumb.jpg.357a0435ce1c3e02f7a036aa815c53d3.jpg

I've looked at this photo repeatedly during the last couple of days, and my jaw drops every time.

It is an incredible that you found this variety of Matt Baker work in one single box at an estate sale. Given the fact that the collection included not only Baker romance, but also war and horror books, it's likely the original owner was a true Baker fan. When you found that box, you definitely were putting The Law of Attraction into action.

8 hours ago, MBFan said:

I've looked at this photo repeatedly during the last couple of days, and my jaw drops every time.

+1. I can't decide whether to redouble my Baker collecting efforts or to just give up entirely. :)

So finally, after searching 3.5 years, I picked up a lower grade APC 38 in the Marketplace yesterday.

Is APC 38 considered the toughest book in the run? APC 37 seems rather scarce to me (I do own a CGC 6.0), as well...

34 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

So finally, after searching 3.5 years, I picked up a lower grade APC 38 in the Marketplace yesterday.

Is APC 38 considered the toughest book in the run? APC 37 seems rather scarce to me (I do own a CGC 6.0), as well...

Yep. 38 is the toughest in my experience. Hazard a guess that being at the end of the run and near the end of St John, it didn't get much distribution.

I bought a raw 37 on eBay a few years back that was listed as a VG+. It came as a 6.0. Look like in addition to the two 6.0s, there's a 6.5 and 7.5 on the census. There is a 6.5 of 38 on the census. Apart from the 5.0 that @comicnoir noted was sold on Heritage, I've never encountered a copy of 38 that wasn't a beater. I own the 2.5 on the census.

12 hours ago, MBFan said:
On 7/15/2019 at 9:44 PM, JvR11 said:

Back in 2009, I went to an estate auction and these were in a box.  I still have some but most have moved on.  My best Baker find ever in one location.  What's your best

Baker find?

Estate2.thumb.jpg.357a0435ce1c3e02f7a036aa815c53d3.jpg

It is an incredible that you found this variety of Matt Baker work in one single box at an estate sale. Given the fact that the collection included not only Baker romance, but also war and horror books, it's likely the original owner was a true Baker fan. When you found that box, you definitely were putting The Law of Attraction into action.

Yes, you would have to think so. He must have had some fans back then who may not have quite known who he was (although some covers are signed) but recognized his talent.

Kind of like with Carl Barks. I remember as a kid before I knew who Barks was, it was obvious that his stories were a cut about the other people doing Duck stories. 

17 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yep. 38 is the toughest in my experience. Hazard a guess that being at the end of the run and near the end of St John, it didn't get much distribution.

I bought a raw 37 on eBay a few years back that was listed as a VG+. It came as a 6.0. Look like in addition to the two 6.0s, there's a 6.5 and 7.5 on the census. There is a 6.5 of 38 on the census. Apart from the 5.0 that @comicnoir noted was sold on Heritage, I've never encountered a copy of 38 that wasn't a beater. I own the 2.5 on the census.

You own a 37 in cgc 6.0? There are 2 listed on the census. Steve owns one and, wait for it, I own the third. 

1 minute ago, sacentaur said:

Tony, that’s the one you traded to me (I just verified the label). :makepoint:

Yep. More of my little grey cells abandon ship every day! :cry: