• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,547 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, szav said:

Speaking of Baker non romance on CLink tonight! ...hard to believe it wasn't much more than a year ago that I was finding VG copies for 25$ still.  Glad I got my 6.5 before this auction, Baker non romance continues to soar.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dapproved%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1325619&id=1325619&itemType=0

Approved12cgc65.jpg

See what you started! :baiting:

4 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:
11 minutes ago, szav said:

Speaking of Baker non romance on CLink tonight! ...hard to believe it wasn't much more than a year ago that I was finding VG copies for 25$ still.  Glad I got my 6.5 before this auction, Baker non romance continues to soar.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dapproved%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1325619&id=1325619&itemType=0

Hey... I thought CGC had stopped regarding Circle 8 as a legit pedigree?  They changed their minds again, or what?  

Apparently they did. I raised that point in the thread on the new pedigrees. I could have sworn that CGC wiped out Circle 8 around the same time they wiped out Mile High II because both were warehouse finds rather than true peds. Mile High II has not been brought back, though.

Whoever consigned that book was clearly in on the ground floor with respect to getting the new ped slabs. Ritter seemed to almost instantly have them on his site, within (I think) a day or two of the public announcement. 

4 minutes ago, szav said:

I probably helped get the ball rolling with my incessant non romance posting in this thread...guilty as charged.

Never mind. I was confusing the issue numbers. The book I bought on eBay for $30 was a copy of issue 11, not issue 12.

Edited by Sqeggs
Mixed up (again!)

8 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Hey... I thought CGC had stopped regarding Circle 8 as a legit pedigree?  They changed their minds again, or what?  

Yeah doesn't make sense.  This copy looks to have sold raw on HA in 2016, which was after the defrocked the Circle 8 I think?  Otherwise I would have thought it was maybe already slabbed and said Circle 8, and just reholdered, and that they may have been grandfathering old books with the ped notation.

2 minutes ago, szav said:

Yeah doesn't make sense.  This copy looks to have sold raw on HA in 2016, which was after the defrocked the Circle 8 I think?  Otherwise I would have thought it was maybe already slabbed and said Circle 8, and just reholdered, and that they may have been grandfathering old books with the ped notation.

I would have to think that they probably won't give you the new ped slab if you are reholdering a defrocked ped copy. Circle 8 is back on their list: https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/pedigree/

Just now, Sqeggs said:

I would have to think that they probably won't give you the new ped slab if you are reholdering a defrocked ped copy. Circle 8 is back on their list: https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/pedigree/

It shouldn't be.  One of the people who bought the collection is Howard at Greg's comics in Mesa AZ.  Have talked to him a few times about it, an amazing amazing find and he's got some great stories about it...but it was surplus leftovers warehoused by store owner.  In no way is it a collection.

Just now, szav said:

It shouldn't be.  One of the people who bought the collection is Howard at Greg's comics in Mesa AZ.  Have talked to him a few times about it, an amazing amazing find and he's got some great stories about it...but it was surplus leftovers warehoused by store owner.  In no way is it a collection.

It is puzzling because it made sense to wipe it out and the Mile High II books and at least one other collection that I'm forgetting. The ped designation really should be reserved for true OO collections. 

1 minute ago, 29dukedog said:

Glad to hear it.  I still have the Circle 8 Cinderella Love 15 (9.0, with a 2nd gen label, and the ped is noted).  

I'm pretty sure I sent in a raw book with Circle 8 marking and didn't get the ped indicated on the label but I think at that point I knew they wouldn't. Be useful if they explained these things! 

As discussed in the other thread, it's also puzzling that the Cookeville books got the ped designation.  Great collection with some keys but many (bordering on most) of the books are in mid-grade. Not many I've seen are in 9.0 or greater. That used to mean the collection wasn't eligible for ped status.

Come to think of it, are there any Cookeville Bakers? I can't recall seeing Cookeville romance books although there are some teen humor books in the collection. 

Can't recall any Cookeville Bakers either, would be very surprised.

As far as 6th Street - I thought this info was lost, but now it's found.  Ebay romance from 6 years ago.  There are more; books that were graded and listed but pulled (PR 19 as mentioned), books that were graded but never listed, books that were never graded.  Maybe 100 or so in all.  It's been a long time and you'd think the warring parties would have resolved their legal issues and the books would surface but they haven't.

Some of these books went to at least six astute boardies.  The TR 33 is one of those, but it will never leave his graspy hands, and believe me I've tried!

image.png.4d814b8c6a708e81b3e38bb425dc9f40.png

Total sales $15,839

Average grade 6.8

Average price $546

2 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the label. Good, I have a couple of supposed Circle 8's.

And just one outside of Ebay before the party ended - there was the 6th St GCE 12 7.0 that went for $9,300 in August 2013.  No one of our crowd ever claimed ownership...yet.

And speaking of which - where to set the under/over for the upcoming 8.0?  25K?

GCE12.jpg.e99fd4702fbaf6acef4ce82276f92986.jpg

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

As discussed in the other thread, it's also puzzling that the Cookeville books got the ped designation.  Great collection with some keys but many (bordering on most) of the books are in mid-grade. Not many I've seen are in 9.0 or greater. That used to mean the collection wasn't eligible for ped status.

I chatted with Matt but was too focused on keeping the Salida in their pedigree list.  They were concerned that so few of them had been slabbed to wonder whether it was something invented by Ellsworth.

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

The ped designation really should be reserved for true OO collections. 

I have no problem with Poughkeepsie File Copies, Gaines File Copies, Harvey Copies being on the list.  Circle 8 is fine as well.  I am more concerned with the quality of the books than the original owner aspect.  I do realize that some pedigrees may be in higher demand because of the OO story (e.g. Okajima) but I don't think that should be a factor in deciding whether to include/exclude them from the list.

27 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

And just one outside of Ebay before the party ended - there was the 6th St GCE 12 7.0 that went for $9,300 in August 2013.  No one of our crowd ever claimed ownership...yet.

And speaking of which - where to set the under/over for the upcoming 8.0?  25K?

GCE12.jpg.e99fd4702fbaf6acef4ce82276f92986.jpg

Could go to $30K. I was there in real time bidding on this thing on ebay back in 07 at a grungy internet cafe late night. Lost it, of course, apparently to Fischler, so this is his copy I guess.

1 hour ago, comicnoir said:

Could go to $30K. I was there in real time bidding on this thing on ebay back in 07 at a grungy internet cafe late night. Lost it, of course, apparently to Fischler, so this is his copy I guess.

I had forgotten about this story!

*&%^&%#@! Fish

33 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

The seller of the 6th Street books posted these scans here on the boards around Feb., 2014, and I took the liberty of saving them.  At the time, most of these had yet to be graded.  It was a 'glimpse of things to come', supposedly.  But soon after, all sales activity stopped.   

So, this group will likely include many of the issues that have never been offered for sale, to this day.  

LOT_6st_a.jpg

LOT_6st_b.jpg

LOT_6st_c.jpg

LOT_6st_d.jpg

LOT_6st_e.jpg

Unbelievable copies of super tough books. That Tar 12 that we have discussed here, looks incredible. The highest graded copy, a mere 4.5, just sold on CLinl for over $900.00. Most of us would love to get our hands on that copy, and just about all the others. At the time I thought the 6th Street prices were ridiculous. Now they're a joke.

Edited by comicnoir