• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,578 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

posted these scans here on the boards around Feb., 2014, and I took the liberty of saving them

That was sneaky of you.  (tsk)

Really glad you did it. (worship)

11 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Can't recall any Cookeville Bakers either, would be very surprised.

As far as 6th Street - I thought this info was lost, but now it's found.  Ebay romance from 6 years ago.  There are more; books that were graded and listed but pulled (PR 19 as mentioned), books that were graded but never listed, books that were never graded.  Maybe 100 or so in all.  It's been a long time and you'd think the warring parties would have resolved their legal issues and the books would surface but they haven't.

Some of these books went to at least six astute boardies.  The TR 33 is one of those, but it will never leave his graspy hands, and believe me I've tried!

image.png.4d814b8c6a708e81b3e38bb425dc9f40.png

Total sales $15,839

Average grade 6.8

Average price $546

I bought several of those. Like the rest of us, I wish now I'd bought more. Here's the PR 24.

Note that it actually has some NRs (next to the guy in the tie). Even back then, they were a problem!

39b383aa-ac37-40a6-a57a-28cb4945de5c_zpspjqjcoo4.JPG

10 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

And just one outside of Ebay before the party ended - there was the 6th St GCE 12 7.0 that went for $9,300 in August 2013.  No one of our crowd ever claimed ownership...yet.

And speaking of which - where to set the under/over for the upcoming 8.0?  25K?

GCE12.jpg.e99fd4702fbaf6acef4ce82276f92986.jpg

I could see it doing $25K. Really depends on whether the pq is a problem for some bidders. It is for me at that level. 

10 hours ago, adamstrange said:

I have no problem with Poughkeepsie File Copies, Gaines File Copies, Harvey Copies being on the list.  Circle 8 is fine as well.  I am more concerned with the quality of the books than the original owner aspect.  I do realize that some pedigrees may be in higher demand because of the OO story (e.g. Okajima) but I don't think that should be a factor in deciding whether to include/exclude them from the list.

I don't think they count these two as peds, do they? They do have label notations but they aren't on the CGC list.

The criteria do mention that the collection should be an OO: "The collection must be original owner. This means that the books must have been bought off the newsstand as they came out. For example, a collector cannot buy a high-grade run of 1940s comics from various sources and expect it to be considered a pedigree. The original owner need not currently own the comics for the collection to be considered for pedigree status."

Obviously, if they strictly applied the "bought off the newsstand" criterion, it would rule out the GFCs and, I presume, the new Murphy Anderson ped.

7 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Unbelievable copies of super tough books. That Tar 12 that we have discussed here, looks incredible. The highest graded copy, a mere 4.5, just sold on CLinl for over $900.00. Most of us would love to get our hands on that copy, and just about all the others. At the time I thought the 6th Street prices were ridiculous. Now they're a joke.

I was actually surprised at how low that one went. Given it's the highest graded copy of a very tough issue, I thought it would easily do $1,500. I dropped out a few days ago and didn't check on it last night. I think the winner got a pretty good deal. 

15 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Note that it actually has some NRs (next to the guy in the tie). Even back then, they were a problem!

39b383aa-ac37-40a6-a57a-28cb4945de5c_zpspjqjcoo4.JPG

Might be worth something for that alone! Think of this as the Hulk #180 of Newton Rings, before their full first appearance.  hm

13 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Obviously, if they strictly applied the "bought off the newsstand" criterion, it would rule out the GFCs and, I presume, the new Murphy Anderson ped.

Crowley's would be out as well.

3 hours ago, Point Five said:

Might be worth something for that alone! Think of this as the Hulk #180 of Newton Rings, before their full first appearance.  hm

:idea:

21 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Another of the Sixth Street books.

This discussion led me to reach out to the dealer who first brought the books to market. He said he hasn't heard anything about the books in a couple of years. He had some news about the original seller that, uh, was not along the lines of increasing the probability that the books would resurface any time soon. 

The collection was larger than I had thought. He said he had sent to CGC more than a hundred books that hadn't been sold before he had to stop and had bagged and boarded about a thousand more. Several thousand magazines in the collection as well.

A real case of what might have been!

_57_zps202a50ab.JPG

Classic cover candidate in my book (thumbsu

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Those older style slabs have open sides whereby you can slip a semi-hard cardstock inside and remove the rings.  Very simple.  I really like that style.  Takes up much less space in a box than the new ones too.

5 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Those older style slabs have open sides whereby you can slip a semi-hard cardstock inside and remove the rings.  Very simple.  I really like that style.  Takes up much less space in a box than the new ones too.

Less susceptible to NRs, too, I think. Although lately, they seem to be doing better with the NRs. Not sure whether they changed the slabbing process or materials or whether QC is kicking the bad ones back for another go round. 

8 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Another of the Sixth Street books.

This discussion led me to reach out to the dealer who first brought the books to market. He said he hasn't heard anything about the books in a couple of years. He had some news about the original seller that, uh, was not along the lines of increasing the probability that the books would resurface any time soon. 

The collection was larger than I had thought. He said he had sent to CGC more than a hundred books that hadn't been sold before he had to stop and had bagged and boarded about a thousand more. Several thousand magazines in the collection as well.

A real case of what might have been!

_57_zps202a50ab.JPG

One of my favorites!

Well, I really wanted one of those Feebay books that ended yesterday.  Anyone here win?  Estimated grades seemed high, but beautiful copies!  Best copy of GS13 I've ever seen.

10 hours ago, Yorick said:

Well, I really wanted one of those Feebay books that ended yesterday.  Anyone here win?  Estimated grades seemed high, but beautiful copies!  Best copy of GS13 I've ever seen.

They were really great and sold like people knew it...GS 10 and 13, TAR 40, 43, 44, CL 27 and even a nice DS 11...I wanted all of them but was not close in the bidding...I know Rick was looking for a GS 13 but who knows who won it...

Just now, PeterPark said:
10 hours ago, Yorick said:

They were really great and sold like people knew it...GS 10 and 13, TAR 40, 43, 44, CL 27 and even a nice DS 11...I wanted all of them but was not close in the bidding...I know Rick was looking for a GS 13 but who knows who won it...

Funnily enough, the GS 13 is back up for auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Going-Steady-13-1955-Matt-Baker/183911673135?hash=item2ad1fd6d2f:g:XHwAAOSwL81dSaRH

I'll guess he's looking for close to Sunday's hammer price, but as to why he didn't offer to the second bidder and instead went this route...

Oh, and all of his auctions are private bidding.