• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,546 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Well, in the CC auction the TAR 2 Crippen 7.5 2nd highest went for a very stout $3200

TAR02f.jpg.6a0629b72a1cced974f861ed9bc73ac6.jpg

compare to highest graded 8.0 Ohio, which went off on Ebay one Sunday night, 6 1/2 years ago.  I was there for that one.  You?

TeenAgeRomances02.thumb.jpg.f5dc58c2858881f1c74798dbb43e2ba6.jpg

I was the runner up tonight on the 7.5, I really wanted this book but tapped out at $3100. I also aggressively bid on 2 of the PL books but didn’t get them. I’m just starting to collect romance comics and am looking to purchase my first Baker.

2 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

I didn't win it, should have gone strong but there were so many other even more enticing books to me.

You remember, surely?  The famous Cindrella Love #25 6.0, ridiculously mis-labeled, highest graded at the time?  GCE 12 4.0?  And that beautiful TAT #1 8.5, hmmm?   :devil:

And others.  Oh what a night!

Give me a bit to run down what happened, I've got it in a file in a folder somewhere, and I'll lay it out for you in all its glorious romance Baker-ness.

I remember eBay member 

tommyfoxwood had some special Baker stuff. He had that GCE12 cgc 4.0 for $2.5k “buyitnow” regret not pulling trigger.

anyone knows about him?He disappeared from eBay many years ago!!!

10 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

I bought my Seven Seas 5 from him so long ago, it was my first Seven Seas. Of course I was really looking for a 4 or a 6. Just disappeared is right.

This fella had sweet stuff 

hopefully someone on the boards must know him, old collector.

His name was Dave

1 hour ago, Daniel Boshell said:

I was the runner up tonight on the 7.5, I really wanted this book but tapped out at $3100. I also aggressively bid on 2 of the PL books but didn’t get them. I’m just starting to collect romance comics and am looking to purchase my first Baker.

Wow, Daniel.  Welcome to romance collecting, brother.  I saw you've got your eye out for some nice Savannahs, too. 

Hang in there, you'll get what you're looking for.   (thumbsu

So - back around 2011 or so, Sparkle City got reanimated by Brian Schutzer.  They came onto Ebay in an aggressive way, straight up slabs, nice stuff, no raw.  In August 2012 they started including romance.  We're talking sizable amounts for a Sunday night - 14 books one week, 16 books another.  This was very unusual for romance.  Slabbed romance in particular was kind of unheard of, certainly on Ebay.  The last time there was sizable romance was years earlier, in the Sunday HA auctions when they were rolling out the Crippens.  Even then 90%+ were raw.

On 10/28/12, Sparkle had 45 slabbed romance go up.  Never before, and never since, has there been so many slabbed romance books at one time in an auction.  I had consigned some books to them, and unfortunately they made their debut that night.  I got slaughtered on the prices.  That was just too much inventory at one time for that market to absorb and maintain strength across the board. 

Their auctions continued featuring romance, but at a much lesser volume level - usually less than 10 books of various publishers.  No big marquee books, just solid mid to upper grade offerings.  Then, on 2/20/13, there was this posting in the Sales Advertising thread on the boards:

Andy thanks for jogging my memory. What a feast and yes I won the TaT 1. I think I paid $1500.00 which was unheard of at the time for me or most ppl. Now just another walk in the park.

Too bad they couldn't keep the momentum. Their auctions don't Sparkle as much.

3 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

I started looking up the prices realized on GPA. They were there except for my Tat 1. Wonder why?

That is weird. 

You paid $1425, btw.  Back then I kept track of what everyone was paying for all pricey romance - it was my hobby, it was my business.  Right behind you with a $1400 bid was a guy with the handle fourthirds, name of Scott Henry Robson.  He had money, and primarily went after first issues.  Kind of like a contemporary Windy City ebay guy.  But there were others right behind him as well; there was strong participation for your book, rightfully so!

1 minute ago, Dr. Love said:

That is weird. 

You paid $1425, btw.  Back then I kept track of what everyone was paying for all pricey romance - it was my hobby, it was my business.  Right behind you with a $1400 bid was a guy with the handle fourthirds, name of Scott Henry Robson.  He had money, and primarily went after first issues.  Kind of like a contemporary Windy City ebay guy.  But there were others right behind him as well; there was strong participation for your book, rightfully so!

It's a beaut, still have it of course. Wish I had had the resources to go after more.

7 hours ago, kat123 said:

This fella had sweet stuff 

hopefully someone on the boards must know him, old collector.

His name was Dave

I bought quite a few books from him, including my National 7.

He had some health issues that impacted his collecting and selling. Hopefully he is doing well.