• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,498 posts in this topic

Is it just me or does the Baker market seem to be settling down a bit? Prices went through the roof in the past year or so. Seems like I've seen the prices on the lower grade ones just sit a bit longer. Same thing has happened with LB Cole over the years. Nobody knew much about them when I first started collecting them. Then they took a fair size jump with lots of demand, then settled down like a roller coaster. At the moment, anything with Leonard's name on it is on fire. I see both hitting the roof and settling down again soon. The classic ones are another story though.

22 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Is it just me or does the Baker market seem to be settling down a bit? Prices went through the roof in the past year or so. Seems like I've seen the prices on the lower grade ones just sit a bit longer. Same thing has happened with LB Cole over the years. Nobody knew much about them when I first started collecting them. Then they took a fair size jump with lots of demand, then settled down like a roller coaster. At the moment, anything with Leonard's name on it is on fire. I see both hitting the roof and settling down again soon. The classic ones are another story though.

I think many of the most desirable covers are still bringing top dollar.  I think a 4.5 Teenage Romances 13 just went a little over $1k on HA which is still pretty decent. 

A lot of what is being brought to market are not the top tier covers and/or below 5.0 copies. If a 6.0 or better copy of one of the top 20 Baker covers is up for grabs it will still fetch top dollar. 

I agree though that the lower grade and slightly less desirable covers have come back down to more reasonable levels. 

At one time ppl were happy with just a copy. They mostly didn't show up. Prices were high as a result and flushed out more copies, driving down prices on the more common issues in lower grades with more pedestrian covers (I argue those don't exist, they are all gems for their own reasons). When I first started collecting, I remember picking up books for $5.00, some of them the  harder to find issues, although I didn't know that at the time. 20 years of CGC and we get a good picture of the populations of these issues. All are still rare to non-existent in high grade. Desirable cover gets good money. High grade gets good money. Together they get really good money. The best copies seem locked away, perhaps to only surface under dire circumstances. If prices fall, copies will stop surfacing, ppl don't want to give them away. Creates a cycle. But the rare ones will keep their value.

Edited by comicnoir

30 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

I’ve never seen this book before, GCD says Baker story... yes, no, maybe so?

167A5E97-B56C-43B4-80BC-0DA8A3CAC6B2.jpeg

123CF337-0B56-400D-BB95-4DA062DAE0D9.jpeg

0D011AC3-2324-41BF-B2D9-AC712EAA8ED2.jpeg

35384AA4-71FA-45A3-A735-E728AFF7A730.jpeg

You are correct Steve! Says so in the contents of The Art of Glamour listing Bakers works. Below is the scanned page citing this issue boxed in red. Great catch! I wasn't even aware and I sold you the book lol(thumbsu

Girls Love Stories 31 Baker.jpg

8 minutes ago, mustang33guy said:

You are correct Steve! Says so in the contents of The Art of Glamour listing Bakers works. Below is the scanned page citing this issue boxed in red. Great catch! I wasn't even aware and I sold you the book lol(thumbsu

Girls Love Stories 31 Baker.jpg

Good research Adam, I was unaware of this notation. Surprised that Baker did work for DC at all?

And yes, thank you for selling me the book at a great price and accurate grade. :foryou:

The cover to this book is fantastic, any idea who did it?