• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,546 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, sacentaur said:

A pickup from CalComicCon yesterday, in this case resistance was indeed futile (and Thank You Bunky)...

6C0D4A35-020B-48E2-9A93-F6731D7F0D70.jpeg

Congrats Steve that’s a classic! Looks very nice in a slab too. When I bought mine, I didn’t even know who Matt Baker was. Back then very few people wanted them. 

On 1/27/2020 at 5:16 PM, Robot Man said:

I stumbled into this one un-bagged on a dealer’s table. I asked him the price and he said “the love book?”. My knees got weak at the price and I snatched it and took off. Might be the cheapest Baker I’ve ever bought.

I guess it must be the flea market junkie in me but I quickly scan the wall to get an idea of what the seller has. I then look on the table, behind the table, check the boxes then ask if they have any older books. Often they have stuff they haven’t put out. This one was just sitting there. I’m amazed no one saw it. 

I showed it to Rick Akers and he said he’s never had one. Must be the painted cover. It has a couple Baker stories inside as well. Who says you can’t score at a con?

72E4554A-476E-4CE7-AD15-05957BEB0F46.jpeg

It's funny that the painted covers (not by Baker) seem to be pretty hard to find in decent condition.  When I started collecting TAR issues I decided only to go after Baker covers.  Now that I have them, my OCD demands that I complete the full run!  I'm pretty sure that is one I still need...

PS. A few of the painted covers are signed by the artist.

..Wow, here's a cool 'oddity'. 

Appears to be a Canadian Edition from the sellers listing specs, though it's not notated on the label. I believe other copies i have seen of this tend to be in the larger sized slab, so that should have been the tell tale sign for me right away i guess?

Still a beauty. Is 'value' any different?

ebay.com/itm/TEEN-AGE-ROMANCES-9-CGC-5-5-NOTORIOUS-MATT-BAKER-HOLD--COVER-ART-1950/184163436997?hash=item2ae0ff09c5:g:a40AAOSwNIFePepH

1 hour ago, sagii said:

..Wow, here's a cool 'oddity'. 

Appears to be a Canadian Edition from the sellers listing specs, though it's not notated on the label. I believe other copies i have seen of this tend to be in the larger sized slab, so that should have been the tell tale sign for me right away i guess?

Still a beauty. Is 'value' any different?

ebay.com/itm/TEEN-AGE-ROMANCES-9-CGC-5-5-NOTORIOUS-MATT-BAKER-HOLD--COVER-ART-1950/184163436997?hash=item2ae0ff09c5:g:a40AAOSwNIFePepH

There is definitely a little "Superior Publications" logo down on the right, so the CGC label is inaccurate.  Momo's comics are absolutely beautiful.  I wish I could afford to buy the whole collection!  I have a few of the photo cover Canadian's, but have not compared them to the US counterparts.  I recall reading there is a size difference, and I also wonder if the interiors are black and white.... I guess I'll need to pull out one of mine and make the comparison.

Not all Canadian reprints were published by Superior, and not all Superior reprints displayed the Superior logo,

but all books that have SDD on the cover are Superior reprints.  That's the immediate and most obvious tell.  Which makes it unforgivable that CGC keeps screwing this up.

I don't forgive them!