• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,578 posts in this topic

On 4/14/2020 at 11:24 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

This is the nicest copy of this I’ve been able to come up with.  A great one. 

95DF05AF-B71A-42BB-828C-22BCB6AB80EE.jpeg

One of my favorites. Again there's the irony that Baker did some (most?) of his best work right at the end at St John.

On 2/21/2020 at 10:19 PM, comicnoir said:

I was thinking of trying to write a --script years ago. Just too many holes in his story. Although that's never stopped movie makers before.

It's too bad that he didn't live long enough to be interviewed by '60s fandom. Too bad for him, obviously, that his life was cut short and too bad for us knowing so little about him.

Call me a wide-eyed flappadedoodle, but at least the main panel of this one looks like the work of one Johnny B. Baker. hm

Atom_zps2qlm43ul.jpg

Edited by Sqeggs
Forgot the bad word filter!

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

Call me a -eyed flappadedoodle, but at least the main panel of this one looks the work of one Johnny B. Baker. hm

Atom_zps2qlm43ul.jpg

I would say so 

7 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

It's too bad that he didn't live long enough to be interviewed by '60s fandom. Too bad for him, obviously, that his life was cut short and too bad for us knowing so little about him.

I think that is part of the mystery nice to have you posting after vacation lol

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Welcome back Sqeggs, missed you around here!

Thanks! Didn't plan to be away so long. But one thing led to another and led to another and ... Missed the interactions and the info the boards provide.

3 minutes ago, comicjack said:

I think that is part of the mystery nice to have you posting after vacation lol

Thanks! I agree that part of Baker's appeal is how little we know about him.  I've often thought about how things might have gone if he had lived on into the '60s and become part of the Marvel bullpen, as, I think, he well might have done. Of course, he clearly--at least from the declining quality of his work post-St John--wasn't doing too well physically (and maybe emotionally (as Dr. Love has speculated)). But a mid-50s Baker working at Marvel would have been something to see. 

I'm sure you all have talked over the Baker OA that surfaced in an auction (was it last year??). My spirit was willing but my wallet was weak, so this was the only one I snagged. Heritage didn't indicate where (if anywhere) it was published but I'll guess that it might have been something he did for Manhunt. 

Baker.jpg

On 4/4/2020 at 12:26 PM, Dr. Love said:

You wouldn't have been able to get this even if you were sitting at your computer when it went up.

Good, now I get a chance to vent about something that's been driving me (and October and others) crazy for at least 4-5 months.

Don't ask me how, but one guy - and ONLY ONE - gets to the new listings right away and BINs them.  As in, immediately, within seconds of when they go up.  No matter the day, or the time.  The only other person who has successfully bought from Jerry has been October.  Jerry has resisted any and all attempts to offer his books as auction items, even with evidence and assurances that he could net 2-3X more using that format than BINs.

The same guy who bought the Cinderella Love 25 has now bought the overwhelming majority of what could be one of the greatest Atlas rollouts ever seen in terms of grade and coverage - better than Circle 8?  Over 300 Atlas and counting.  Unbelievable stuff - Sherry the Showgirl 1,2, Showgirls 1,2,4, 46 different Millie the Models, and 191 Atlas romance.  Many other publishers as well.

This ONE GUY has now bought 276 books and has spent $48,037 to date - book by book by individual book.  All at least 50% under FMV, or more.

Interestingly enough, this ONE GUY has been around for years on Ebay as a romance buyer when we were all known to each other.  He was there as a strong participant in the famous Sparkle City romance slab bonanza of 3/10/13 when he was the winner, among other books, of the mislabeled Cindrella Love 25 6.0, the highest graded at that time, for the then unheard of price of $2,188.

I've reached out to this ONE GUY through Ebay, one romance collector to another, but he won't talk to me.  Me, Dr. Love!

Crazy story! Somethin' goin' on there. Maybe some day we'll learn what. 

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I'm sure you all have talked over the Baker OA that surfaced in an auction (was it last year??). My spirit was willing but my wallet was weak, so this was the only one I snagged. Heritage didn't indicate where (if anywhere) it was published but I'll guess that it might have been something he did for Manhunt. 

Baker.jpg

Not in Manhunt.  I think it might have been a personal piece (like a "get well" card).  Or potentially one of those Men's magazines (He did some nice wash work in those).

Welcome back!!  :hi:

2 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Not in Manhunt.  I think it might have been a personal piece (like a "get well" card).  Or potentially one of those Men's magazines (He did some nice wash work in those).

Welcome back!!  :hi:

Thanks! You could well be right that it's an unpublished piece.