• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,559 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

PL 14 is often taken as a cover by Baker. How can someone look at that cover and see Baker? It's baffling. And once that doubt is cast, it's not hard to start looking at the remainder of the PL covers and realize that Baker had a cursory hand in them, at most.

I don’t think anyone takes 14 as a Baker anymore.  The only ones I see him in with any degree of confidence are 13, 19 and 20... and maybe PLs face on 16.

Edited by szav

26 minutes ago, szav said:

I don’t think anyone takes 14 as a Baker anymore.  The only ones I see him in with any degree of confidence are 13, 19 and 20... and maybe PLs face on 16.

It's only recently CGC noted 14 as Baker, which it most certainly is not. 15 is Baker, I still think 17 is as well as 18, 19 and 20.

Highest graded copy of this one, although I imagine there are nicer raw copies out there. 

Surprising how much weaker even Baker's early Quality work was to his later St John work. This issue has the same publication date as Diary Secrets 25 and TAR 39 and is earlier than all the Going Steady covers. Of course, when he actually drew some of the latter St John covers--maybe well earlier than their publication dates--is another question. 

01913891650000112069642002_zpstxgrab8b.jpg

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

Highest graded copy of this one, although I imagine there are nicer raw copies out there. 

Surprising how much weaker even Baker's early Quality work was to his later St John work. This issue has the same publication date as Diary Secrets 25 and TAR 39 and is earlier than all the Going Steady covers. Of course, when he actually drew some of the latter St John covers--maybe well earlier than their publication dates--is another question. 

I like them :)

And i was able to finally complete the Quality Pub covers this year :banana:

Not as impressive as completing the way more desirable St. John covers i'll acknowledge :baiting:but i'm happy. 

:gossip: My copy may bump this one down when i finally submit it :wishluck: (oops! i meant :foryou: )

1 minute ago, sagii said:
6 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I like them :)

And i was able to finally complete the Quality Pub covers this year :banana:

Not as impressive as completing the way more desirable St. John covers i'll acknowledge :baiting:but i'm happy. 

:gossip: My copy may bump this one down when i finally submit it :wishluck: (oops! i meant :foryou: )

I'm looking forward to seeing it! Be great if there were some high-grade copies lurking out there. 

OT: But I wonder how submissions to CGC are holding up? I haven't submitted anything in a dog's age. I assume that they didn't have to stop and lockdown--at least I don't remember getting an email from them that they were doing so. 

7 hours ago, kat123 said:

Incase a Baker fan wants to own some original Baker art. This pages are not done by Matt Baker more like Jerry Iger telling the Iger Shop staff to mimic Baker. They resemble John Thornton style. Matt Baker left Iger Shop in 1948 and later freelance Flamingo comic strip.

938C945E-60B7-44CD-BD1E-3BF7A8804AAC.jpeg

9E3BB210-AF79-4B00-A489-BED1E2AB5C1E.jpeg

I believe Jack Kamen was already over at EC? 1953

Nice pages. Where are these available?

8 hours ago, kat123 said:

Incase a Baker fan wants to own some original Baker art. This pages are not done by Matt Baker more like Jerry Iger telling the Iger Shop staff to mimic Baker. They resemble John Thornton style. Matt Baker left Iger Shop in 1948 and later freelance Flamingo comic strip.

938C945E-60B7-44CD-BD1E-3BF7A8804AAC.jpeg

9E3BB210-AF79-4B00-A489-BED1E2AB5C1E.jpeg

I believe Jack Kamen was already over at EC? 1953

Is the seller just misinformed? Wonder why they think those are Bakers

1 hour ago, Daniel Boshell said:

Is the seller just misinformed? Wonder why they think those are Bakers

I see a lot of sellers just throwing "Baker" into the title listings so that it will show up in a name search.