• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,498 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

I've been kicking myself since seeing I missed THIS ......

:sorry:

Was that an auction or a buy it now?  If the later, you'd think MyComicShop would have priced it accordingly.

23 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Before anyone freaks out, MCS does tend to catch those mistakes before fulfilling the order. 

@mycomicshop

Don't "out" them.  Isn't this the whole game of collecting?  Maybe we all can be happy with a fellow collector (or better, a NEW Baker collector) getting one of the best Baker books out there at a VERY affordable price.

Just now, Yorick said:

Don't "out" them.  Isn't this the whole game of collecting?  Maybe we all can be happy with a fellow collector (or better, a NEW Baker collector) getting one of the best Baker books out there at a VERY affordable price.

That sale was a week ago so it should have shipped by now but, yes, you raise a good point. I'm more just curious if that score is real or not. 

31 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Baker's wiki page has been noticeably beefed up in the past few years.  Cool to see!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Baker_(artist)

Glad to see. Also pleased they mentioned the artists he influenced. When I first saw Dave Stevens work I thought, where did this guy get that style?

Regarding the LOVE AND MARRIAGE story:  This is Baker pencils and inks, perhaps with an inking assist from fellow Iger Studios artist John Thornton.  This story is not from 1953, though the dealer may be forgiven for his error, as that was the first time the story saw print.  It would not be published in the United States until 1958, by I. W. Publishing in the Super Comics title LOVE AND MARRIAGE (don't know if they bought the title from Superior or if I. W. Publishing was partnered with Superior).  This story was done about 1947 or 1948, judging from the art and the story of the returning serviceman.  Though done for Iger, this story was inventory (stockpiled for later publication), and became part of a large lot of stories sold by Iger to Superior Comics/Superior Publishing in Canada in the early Fifties as he (Jerry Iger) downsized his operations (he would close his shop in 1955, just two years after this story saw print in 1953).  It may seem different to some as by the time this story saw print Baker's style had changed and matured a bit, and also we are accustomed to seeing him inked by Kamen (a lot), who had a very heavy brush.  Also, this story is rather static, so there isn't the action we are accustomed to in so much of Baker's work for Iger Studios.  The lead character, the lingerie panels, the look of the people, the way the hands are drawn, are Baker.

My bona fides, for what they're worth:  I've read and collected comics for sixty years, collected art for fifty years, spent decades working with art (animation, comic, and illustration art), comics, memorabilia, pulps, etc, in retail and auction settings; and spent almost fifteen years working at Collectors Book Store in Hollywood, including assisting in the production of their Collectors Showcase Auction.

Actually Mr. Merideth might have gotten one thing right, those pages do look like John Thorton. As somebody who owns a fair share of Baker comics as well as OA, I have nothing that even remotely looks like the art on these disputed pages. Some ppl have pm'd as to whether I thought they were authentic and I have advised to stay away.

The greatest modern art fraud scheme was led by a dealer who was a patron of museum archives and, through special access, planted forged authenticating documents and entries that would later be used to authenticate the paintings he commissioned.

The only part of that page that is remotely Bakerish, is the face in the last panel.  Most likely it is a remnant of Baker's influence without any of his involvement.

2 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

The greatest modern art fraud scheme was led by a dealer who was a patron of museum archives and, through special access, planted forged authenticating documents and entries that would later be used to authenticate the paintings he commissioned.

The only part of that page that is remotely Bakerish, is the face in the last panel.  Most likely it is a remnant of Baker's influence without any of his involvement.

And that dealer's name was...?