• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,509 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

NEVER judge a book by it's cover. You should have looked...

True - in my defense, I already had the issues that the seller listed as the interiors, and I’m certainly not going to pay big bucks for the Comedy Carnival cover! :roflmao:

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Here are my St John annuals A-P. I guess I can figure out the contents of these or continue to watch the Rays spank and demoralize the Asterix. Easy choice...

CC505177-1936-4BF0-9394-15BA06513DB3.jpeg

I was never anticipating that the spine of a stack of comics would be as exciting as this! :applause:

I like some of the digest size foreign reprints.  It seems some panels were printed at 100% scale of the original art!  I'm just throwing the Romita Suzy in the background as an indicator of a normal size book.

100_1163.JPG

100_1164.JPG

17 hours ago, Yorick said:

I like some of the digest size foreign reprints.  It seems some panels were printed at 100% scale of the original art!  I'm just throwing the Romita Suzy in the background as an indicator of a normal size book.

100_1163.JPG

100_1164.JPG

What is that digest?

9 hours ago, Shrevvy said:

What is that digest?

I doubt I'll drive-up any competition for these by letting you know....

It's an Australian edition (Gordon & Gotch) under the main title of "Romance Picture Stories", but it has a sub-title (which may be the actual title for purposes of numbering) of "True Secret Diary".  Issue number is 136.  Other interior romance art appears to be from St John.  Four stories total, and one of which is illustrated by Warren King (his art is growing on me quite a bit - now that I know what his art looks like).

6 hours ago, PeterPark said:

I wasn't aware of any Baker art in this book. Is this merely an unscrupulous seller or is there something to this? Unsurprisingly, there are no interior shots of the book...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Diary-Confessions-11-STANLEY-PUBLICATIONS-1955-Matt-Baker-VG/224202109878?hash=item34337cb3b6:g:NJgAAOSwLA9fjzy9

Nothing to it. 

You can ask him yourself if he's merely unscrupulous.  @dylanthekid

I wasn't aware of any Baker art in this book. Is this merely an unscrupulous seller or is there something to this? Unsurprisingly, there are no interior shots of the book...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Diary-Confessions-11-STANLEY-PUBLICATIONS-1955-Matt-Baker-VG/224202109878?hash=item34337cb3b6:g:NJgAAOSwLA9fjzy9

If you actually looked at the other 600 or 700 auctions ending, you would see that scans front and back is the standard. Even BLISSARD doesn't do interior pics. 

It sickens to be the blindness of so many comic book people. Just because CGC or anyone for that matter calls it a 6.0 doesn't mean it is a 6.0. Baker did a bunch of art that he was not credited for and I believe this is one of them. Just because it says Matt Baker, doesn't mean it was ACTUALLY matt baker, and vice versa. Where did our thinking caps go? 

People don't realize it, but some issues of Love Jounal (I believe that one, I could be mistaken), have super early Buscema work in them. The CGC label usually doesnt say that. So you have to ask yourself, are we the collectors wrong? or are other "respected' entities just more flawed than most are willing to accept?

What genius made Grand Comic Database count both sides of each page? How many pages DON'T have 2 sides? (besides a fox pub......you savvy mother truckers.)

Nuff said.

6 minutes ago, dylanthekid said:

If you actually looked at the other 600 or 700 auctions ending, you would see that scans front and back is the standard. Even BLISSARD doesn't do interior pics. 

It sickens to be the blindness of so many comic book people. Just because CGC or anyone for that matter calls it a 6.0 doesn't mean it is a 6.0. Baker did a bunch of art that he was not credited for and I believe this is one of them. Just because it says Matt Baker, doesn't mean it was ACTUALLY matt baker, and vice versa. Where did our thinking caps go? 

So you don't know if it's a Baker, but you advertised it as such? 

Or you do know and cgc is wrong? 

1 minute ago, KCOComics said:

So you don't know if it's a Baker, but you advertised it as such? 

Or you do know and cgc is wrong? 

My editor launched the auction. If I had seen things before they launched, I would have added a question mark in the title. I just added more info in the description

Just now, dylanthekid said:

My editor launched the auction. If I had seen things before they launched, I would have added a question mark in the title. I just added more info in the description

Agreed the ? is appropriate, the guy looks baker-ish but hard to say on as so many aping his style

2 minutes ago, dylanthekid said:

You don't review your auctions prior to them going live? 

Just now, Changer said:

Agreed the ? is appropriate, the guy looks baker-ish but hard to say on as so many aping his style

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/diary-confessions-11/4000-344257/

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=338251

Everyone challenges me being 20, but in over 50 years, these are the best public resources for this book you guys could come up with. and it SUCKS

3 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

You don't review your auctions prior to them going live? 

Do you think the owner of CGC runs qc on CGC? Do you think Aunt Jemima is the one taking sap from the tree for the syrup? 

Edited by dylanthekid
keeping more germaine