• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,580 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Frankly, it is a better piece of art than Baker's.  And, no, there is no way this is Baker.  Makes me wonder where he got the mag and if there are other swipes out there.

Street Fighter Unlimited 7c (Udon Entertainment) - ComicBookRealm.comimage.jpeg.190f53c31abe2dad4fedbdb500a4deec.jpeg

Image 1 - Magazine-Greece-MAGAZINE-THISAVROS-No-673-1951

whos this greek artist? I can see Matt Baker was really inspired by this talent. 

6 hours ago, MB1952 said:

I’m waiting for my cut, I provided the last pic. 😂 

amazing result, stunned.

haha checks in the mail

Im honestly stunned that is sold for as much as it did but im glad its going to someone that will truely cherish it. I was thinking it would hit maybe $500ish but the bidding war at the end really made it go ballistic. 

I have a very knowledgable comic source in Greece that says he has been looking for another copy and has had no luck. He believes a lot of these old magazines where used as kindling and burned or destroyed during a civil war. After this auctions results i have a feeling every greek collector will be hunting for more. 

20 hours ago, steve566 said:

haha checks in the mail

Im honestly stunned that is sold for as much as it did but im glad its going to someone that will truely cherish it. I was thinking it would hit maybe $500ish but the bidding war at the end really made it go ballistic. 

I have a very knowledgable comic source in Greece that says he has been looking for another copy and has had no luck. He believes a lot of these old magazines where used as kindling and burned or destroyed during a civil war. After this auctions results i have a feeling every greek collector will be hunting for more. 

Wait? You don’t have my mailing address!!!

this Greek artist name___???is amazing artist. His brush work looks very similar to Matt’s -Men Magazine work. 

On 3/15/2021 at 12:00 PM, sfcityduck said:

Makes me wonder where he got the mag and if there are other swipes out there.

I remember a group of Baker letters addressed to Guisto with little Baker "doodles" on the envelopes posted on CAF.  I can't find them and I did not download the images, but my recollection is that Guisto was in Greece.  (shrug)

I bought several of the other copies and have not found any other obvious swipes... so far.  There are some really nice covers done for that series, but my magazine bags and boards are not tall enough for these "foreign" size magazines.

2 hours ago, Yorick said:

I remember a group of Baker letters addressed to Guisto with little Baker "doodles" on the envelopes posted on CAF.  I can't find them and I did not download the images, but my recollection is that Guisto was in Greece.  (shrug)

I bought several of the other copies and have not found any other obvious swipes... so far.  There are some really nice covers done for that series, but my magazine bags and boards are not tall enough for these "foreign" size magazines.

I checked the Art of Glamour because I also remembered letter from Baker to Giusto but the ones there, unless you saw something different, all seem to be address to Sampson, NY. 

If it was Greece, it could be conceivable the images were Baker and/or Giusto in collaboration and then the later swipes would be swiping himself?

What year was the Flamingo panel of the girl in the water? Might that be a case of Baker first and Greece second?

On 9/16/2020 at 11:10 PM, PeterPark said:

no way we found Baker swipes. 

Flamingo comic strip 1952

flamingo.png

Do we have any information on when in 1952 this was published?

And can anyone figure out the date in Thisavros? July? 

The strip may predate the Greek magazine...

Edited by PeterPark

32 minutes ago, manetteska said:

I am a fool. 

That's harsh, but I want to know more about what went on with those...it's such an esoteric market, I don't know who might know. If it wasn't Baker, or he wasn't involved, who was it? There is definitely something to it. Whether it is as small as Baker went to a local international newsstand because he just liked the compositions or was actually involved in the production, there is something.

11 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

The Wartime Romances 8 wasn't too shabby either. I know a number of others were getting some looks but those were the only 2 I was following.