• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,509 posts in this topic

I finally found a copy of TR11 :banana:. If anyone has a TR9 they'd like to part with, I really need this one too:) I thought it was really cool that the interior story was related to the TR38 cover.

tra-1.jpg

tr2a.jpg223152.jpg

Edited by JvR11

These are great thanks for sharing. Do you have any of the giants?

Not anymore - just a handful of the ones I really like!!

CinderellaLove2855.jpg

I love this cover :cloud9: You have a nice collection.

Here's a cool Baker splash from Love Romances 45... I cleaned it up a bit in Photoshop. I think there is a good chance Baker also inked this one.

HeartSoulSplash.jpg

Edited by JvR11

Here's a cool Baker splash from Love Romances 45... I cleaned it up a bit in Photoshop. I think there is a good chance Baker also inked this one.

HeartSoulSplash.jpg

I think the inker is Anderson (cf "Cult of Killers", Wanted #52)

I'm not sure I agree. You can see some similarities with the CL cover above. I looked at the Anderson story thanks for the reference. I don't really know much about him but looking at the story he has kind of a cross hatch look to his shading which I don't see in this particular story line. I'll have to look and see if I can see any other stories outside of Atlas that have this type of "dreamy" appearance.

Edited by JvR11

CinderellaLove2855.jpg

I like how OS refuses to admit this is a Baker cover year after year.

I finally found a copy of TR11 ... I thought it was really cool that the interior story was related to the TR38 cover.

Cool. That cover to Teen-Age Romances #11 is an OUTSTANDING Baker cover, truly rivaling some of his finest ones. Congrats on that fine score. Good observation about that interior story too, offering future influence to TR38's cover. It's funny how ideas come about. I'm sure as writers at Fox were looking for ideas, they researched past issues and saw Baker's art for TR#11 and envisioned the provocative cover concept for issue #38. Nice find. If there was to ever be a book on Matt Baker's Art, that would make a fine eminent observance for inclusion. They are a musing pair.

I just discovered this awesome thread tonight. I'm a huge Baker Fan, and thought this contribution of Teen_age Romances #3 best fits here and compliments all the other amazing books in this thread. Unrestored high grade copies of Teen-Age Romances are really a tough find, and often carry a steep premium when located (well over guide). In regards to TR#3, there's also a sweet spanking panel inside this issue (but I'm sure everyone knows that) that leads to Romance between the two lead characters. That is a giant bonus for me since I collect spanking panels as well as other classic GGA issues. I have some solid copies of PL to scan one day for other threads, but this is my sole Baker Romance comic in high grade from my collection.

I find Baker's art to be sooooooooooooooo charming. It makes me sad that today's generation has lost that mystique. It's as if his Matt Baker's art best defines 'Comic Book Romance', it even epitomizes it, since the majority of his work absolutely oozes with, and honestly conveys, loving courtship to the point where a viewer can feel it and believe it from and between his figures and characters.

102350.jpg.0369da098da6f2169e2612fa28bdf359.jpg

I find Baker's art to be sooooooooooooooo charming. It makes me sad that today's generation has lost that mystique. It's as if his Matt Baker's art best defines 'Comic Book Romance', it even epitomizes it, since the majority of his work absolutely oozes with, and honestly conveys, loving courtship to the point where a viewer can feel it and believe it from and between his figures and characters.

This is a great summation of how many of us feel about Baker's work.

Can't wait to see scans of your Phantom Lady comics, as well as the spanking panels. (Sure, it's kinky, but it's also dang funny.)

HeartSoulSplash.jpg

I'm not sure I agree. You can see some similarities with the CL cover above. I looked at the Anderson story thanks for the reference. I don't really know much about him but looking at the story he has kind of a cross hatch look to his shading which I don't see in this particular story line. I'll have to look and see if I can see any other stories outside of Atlas that have this type of "dreamy" appearance.

I understand your doubts, and I wouldnt stake my life on it either! (You know far more about baker romance than I do.)

As Scrooge said, the face and hair of the woman lower left is very like Harry's work. I agree that the "Cult of Killers" story has very heavy cross-hatching. The way I read it, and I'm only speculating here, is that Anderson fitted his inks to suit Baker's romantic style. Anderson did do some work for Atlas - there are a few horror stories I've seen.

He is arguably the most underrated artist of the era. (He is Jim Vadeboncoeur's favourite comic book artist)

Edited by alanna

CinderellaLove2855.jpg

I like how OS refuses to admit this is a Baker cover year after year.

:o I'm astonished! What interests me about this cover is the apparent use of a wash effect in the imaginary dance scene (it doesnt look like greytone).

Here's a Anderson drawn and inked page from another issue of Wanted. Compare the two lead females from the Baker story and this story to find the resemblance Alanna was mentioning, particularly in the right-most panel of the second tier -

102351.jpg.0b37979b86a2d842c3172f7f16689e1a.jpg

Here's a Anderson drawn and inked page from another issue of Wanted. Compare the two lead females from the Baker story and this story to find the resemblance Alanna was mentioning, particularly in the right-most panel of the second tier -

The great Harry Anderson:

http://www.bpib.com/illustrat/anderson.htm

http://www.atlastales.com/cr/65/n:65:z:a:o:4:d:ASC:p:1

HeartSoulSplash.jpg

I understand your doubts, and I wouldnt stake my life on it either! (You know far more about baker romance than I do.)

As Scrooge said, the face and hair of the woman lower left is very like Harry's work. I agree that the "Cult of Killers" story has very heavy cross-hatching. The way I read it, and I'm only speculating here, is that Anderson fitted his inks to suit Baker's romantic style. Anderson did do some work for Atlas - there are a few horror stories I've seen.

He is arguably the most underrated artist of the era. (He is Jim Vadeboncoeur's favourite comic book artist)

This story is my favorite romance story outside of the St. John's because of the attention to detail. If Anderson did indeed ink this, I wish he would have been able to do many more with Baker. I'll have to look up some more about Anderson. He looks like he was also a great illustrator too. I wonder why he wouldn't have just done his own pencils too? You can see that Anderson cared about what he was doing and not just cranking out the panels.