• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,577 posts in this topic

Congrats to the Cinderella Love 25 winner. I was the underbidder. :(

..... you should have sold the car, dawg :baiting: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I could have gone higher without selling the car (probably), but I get sticker shock on anything above $2k these days. I don't have the gumption I once did, as a younger man. :P

It was a very good effort (thumbs u I knew that book was going to explode

It's cool. I hit the BIN on a copy of New Mutants 87 earlier in the night, which is pretty much on par with the Cinderella Love.

:censored:

Looks like you got beat by one bid increment. I wonder how high the winner was willing to go? hm

Just being nosey, of course! :D

I could have gone higher without selling the car (probably), but I get sticker shock on anything above $2k these days. I don't have the gumption I once did, as a younger man. :P

It's cool. I hit the BIN on a copy of New Mutants 87 earlier in the night, which is pretty much on par with the Cinderella Love.

New Mutants 87. I'm thinking of trading my CL25 for one of those.

Now, don't be cruel. I know that I'd be pretty upset if I got my hopes up about something like that... only to find out you weren't serious.

Now, don't be cruel. I know that I'd be pretty upset if I got my hopes up about something like that... only to find out you weren't serious.

You're right. A forgot a caveat.

:jokealert:

Here's a treat for the Baker fans, from Teen-age Romances #17 enjoy.

C43B8ABB-2062-42B0-9FD9-D27666F926BD_zps1yv54pkp.jpg

Baker romance OA! :o

(worship)(worship)(worship)

Fantastic to see Baker romance artwork. Thanks for sharing!

Fourfold increase over three years

Do you genuinely believe that book has increased in value 4X since 2013?

Sounded to me like a prediction of the next three years, not a statement about the previous three years. The latter doesn't necessarily follow the former.

Sounded to me like a prediction of the next three years, not a statement of the previous three years. The latter doesn't necessarily follow the former.

Hmmm hm So the last GPA on a CGC 6.0 CL 25 was $2188 almost 3 years ago to the day... and last night some lucky soul won a book of comparable grade (although raw for approx. $2100) ... so I guess we'll just have to wait and see when the next graded book comes to auction....

Sounded to me like a prediction of the next three years, not a statement about the previous three years. The latter doesn't necessarily follow the former.

Hmmm hm So the last GPA on a CGC 6.0 CL 25 was $2188 almost 3 years ago to the day... and last night some lucky soul won a book of comparable grade (although raw for approx. $2100) ... so I guess we'll just have to wait and see when the next graded book comes to auction....

In 2003, I won a raw 6.0 copy of CL 25 on eBay for $150. That would make for an increase of very close to 14X over the past 13 years. That's pretty close to Dr. Love's prediction...

In 2003, I won a raw 6.0 copy of CL 25 on eBay for $150. That would make for an increase of very close to 14X over the past 13 years. That's pretty close to Dr. Love's prediction...

Wish I could go back in time for so many of these comics.

About 8 or so years ago, I watched an eBay auction for a VF copy of Seven Seas #4. It ended at around $700. At the time, I thought the price was crazy and couldn't imagine spending that much on a comic like Seven Seas #4. Today that price would be a steal.

Sounded to me like a prediction of the next three years, not a statement of the previous three years. The latter doesn't necessarily follow the former.

That book last night was a raw vg. It had a lot of edge chipping.

And a spine split and tanning.

Edited to add: Not dissing the book. I think it presents very well and I would love to have won it. But in terms of comparing that sale to earlier sales, it's necessary, I think, to be accurate about the grade. Probably in the 4.0 to 5.0 range. I can't see it ending up as a 6.0.

Edited by Sqeggs

That book wasn't a VG. The chips were very minor, made to look larger by the close up pics.

Andy, if it's not too personal to ask, if not a VG, what did you think the grade was, assuming the defects were everything listed in photos and nothing more. And was this going to be for your personal collection or for resale?

I would appreciate the educational value of walking through the potential upside on this book in a resale situation - at either $2083 or the bid under yours of $1894.

A lot of risk involved with a seller who not only does not sell (or presumably buy) comics nor any other paper collectible and who does not accept returns, I would say. In a selling environment where no returns is not only the exception, but a big red flag these days. How much upside would have to be penciled in to offset that risk, alongside all the other normal risks accompanying the route of the item from seller to slab?

I'm not saying buying it for resale would have been a mistake. On the contrary - if so, there was more than one bidder thinking along that line, and it argues for a vigorous repricing of this book - and all Baker romance by extension.

That book wasn't a VG. The chips were very minor, made to look larger by the close up pics.

Looked like a 5.0 to me. But very well presenting with nice gloss

Looked like a 5.0 to me. But very well presenting with nice gloss

Yes, I think it's the glossiest copy I've seen, But CGC seems to be hammering cover tanning these days and, combined with the book's other defects, I think 5.0 is probably a ceiling. It may end up as one of those books that in a 4.0 slab makes us all say "Presents really nicely for the grade."