• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,577 posts in this topic

There's a nice looking Love Romances #82 at auction on the link at the moment and because Overstreet seems to make more errors with Baker art than anybody else by listing work that isnt his and Vice Versa i just wondered if any collectors can confirm wether this book does contain artwork by Baker. Also does anyone know who the cover artist is?

There's a nice looking Love Romances #82 at auction on the link at the moment and because Overstreet seems to make more errors with Baker art than anybody else by listing work that isnt his and Vice Versa i just wondered if any collectors can confirm wether this book does contain artwork by Baker. Also does anyone know who the cover artist is?

https://www.atlastales.com/issue/1943

https://www.atlastales.com/issue/1943

thanks (thumbs u

Just realized I actually have a second book that could qualify as a Baker Romance:

Classic_comics_032_zpsjhsrtkqk.jpg

I think every version other than the 1st is missing 6 pages of Baker art... so glad I have the 1st, even lower grade like this!

Another book that looks like a possible uncredited Baker cover. I'll admit it's tough with his Quality work, as their romance books have a consistent inking style that makes them all look a bit similar, and some credited Baker covers from the era don't jump out as Baker at first glance.

gil57_zps35tkupkf.jpg

Another book that looks like a possible uncredited Baker cover. I'll admit it's tough with his Quality work, as their romance books have a consistent inking style that makes them all look a bit similar, and some credited Baker covers from the era don't jump out as Baker at first glance.

gil57_zps35tkupkf.jpg

Definitely Baker.

gil57_zps35tkupkf.jpg

..... I'd vote "yes" for Baker...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

gil57_zps35tkupkf.jpg

Definitely Baker.

+1

gil57_zps35tkupkf.jpg

Definitely Baker.

No doubt!

gil57_zps35tkupkf.jpg

imho more than one hand on the main characters besides Baker, but the right background guy is all his. He had two go-to guys - handsome guy and brutish guy.

Quality = awsome, imho. Wet glossy inks that can pop from a block away. Romance had forced a definite transition on the talent, asking for a realistic approach alongside extensive dialogue. A marked departure from a surrealistic world. Some artists were able to broaden their range and others never could. The Quality crew brought their A game to a market that was red hot and getting crowded fast. Ward found beauty and taste deep within, very different, as it had to be, from the caricaturist Torchy. Anderson, Gustavson, Crandall, Whitney, Sultan - all did beautiful work. A very professional house, to the end. They kinda evoked a 40's feel even through the code.

I had just moved to San Diego in the early 90's and was excited about going to my first SDCC. Harley had a Quality romance or two displayed, high grade, and I laughed so hard and then I paid up. As a goof, you know. An oddity. He had a fair amount of them at the time. Little did I know that I was on my way.

gil57_zps35tkupkf.jpg

Definitely Baker.

100% agree.

Yeah it cost a bundle, but I am sooo happy to have this book in my collection.

Best looking 6.0 I have, and one of Baker's best IMHO.

6625ed87-8f77-4671-9af2-c3a1c1da443b_zpsx74vneif.jpg

Probably my favorite. Terrific book, Steve.