• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,551 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

This is a weird one- I have no idea how to grade it... (I'm open to suggestions)... the front cover is very high grade... but look at what has been chewed off the spine by a bunch of silverfish with very selective appetites... only the white paint has been eaten, and just off the surface, down to the glue... not down to the paper. 

PictorialRomances18Ja_zpsc717289c.jpg

PictorialRomances18Jc_zpsa66e16be.jpg

5.0. A third of the spine is gone.

4 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

My PR 5. I cannot compete with the amazing stuff I am seeing here. Incredible books.

IMG_1450.jpg

That book has plenty of zing to it! I just love the colors.

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

Spectacular book - is that a pedigree?

Not at all... it was an eBay seller who called it "vg", posted a small and out of focus picture of the book, and only inspired enough bidder confidence to drive it up to $100.  (For what it's worth, this was about eight years ago.)

Edited by 29dukedog
correction

59 minutes ago, sacentaur said:
8 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Most of my high(er) grade books have yet to be slabbed... this one might fetch a 9.0-9.2, imo...

ds16_zpssstughzq.jpg

Could it be Church? hm

2 hours ago, comicnoir said:

5.0. A third of the spine is gone.

Agreed - 5.0.

Oh, :takeit:

:flipbait:

I hate to say it, because it appears to otherwise be a beautiful copy, but 5.0 might be the max on it. 

Ok, I've seen some darn nice Bakers on the past few pages of this thread... I guess there are a few I could add... 

CL_LOT_A_zpse708e16f.jpg

Terrific run of some of his best work. 

56 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Not at all... it was an eBay seller who called it "vg", posted a small and out of focus picture of the book, and only inspired enough bidder confidence to drive it up to $100.  (Fwii, this was about eight years ago.)

Maybe he thought:  VG = Very Great. :)

Most of my high(er) grade books have yet to be slabbed... this one might fetch a 9.0-9.2, imo...

ds16_zpssstughzq.jpg

Yowsah! What a copy!!! Where did that one come from?

OK, just saw your response to the same question.

Edited by RICK STARR

10 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Ok, I've seen some darn nice Bakers on the past few pages of this thread... I guess there are a few I could add... 

CL_LOT_A_zpse708e16f.jpg

This series is so beautiful!! Bravo!  And now I know who to bother for the highest CL27!!  I've got a few "Ruth" copies too.  I'll have to dig them out.  Perhaps the first Baker collector?

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I hate to say it, because it appears to otherwise be a beautiful copy, but 5.0 might be the max on it. 

CGC hated my silverfish copies (3.0 range), but there were a few additional dings than what yours show.  Maybe they'd qualify it.

34 minutes ago, RICK STARR said:

Here are two you never see. Both are cover to cover excellent Baker artwork. Would like to show the art inside, but the books are too fragile to lay open on my scanner.

58f6ae1e7d419_DIARYSECR7.thumb.jpg.f738e34a2620eac4acf07208f36fe582.jpg

58f6ae24d97c8_DIARYSECT9.thumb.jpg.4573e8c248426552871ed8563d1a07fd.jpg

Super rare and doubly collectible as digests.  At least I think digests are a very under appreciated area of the hobby that is due to see some big demand in the coming years.  Thanks for sharing!

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

This series is so beautiful!! Bravo!  And now I know who to bother for the highest CL27!!  I've got a few "Ruth" copies too.  I'll have to dig them out.  Perhaps the first Baker collector?

What an insane collection of beauties.  The grades and eye appeal on your Cinderella Loves would be the pride of any collection!

4 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I think I like his interior work on Wartime Romances best of all. Seems it was pretty tight. 

I always like the signed covers.

IMG_3487.JPG

IMG_3490.JPG

I wish some of the middle issues of Wartime Romances avoided the three panel covers and just blew up the main panel on the right.  Great interior stuff as always by the maestro.

1 hour ago, RICK STARR said:

Here are two you never see. Both are cover to cover excellent Baker artwork. Would like to show the art inside, but the books are too fragile to lay open on my scanner.

58f6ae1e7d419_DIARYSECR7.thumb.jpg.f738e34a2620eac4acf07208f36fe582.jpg

58f6ae24d97c8_DIARYSECT9.thumb.jpg.4573e8c248426552871ed8563d1a07fd.jpg

Figure it might make sense just to show the 8.5 copy, despite the LT-OW pages. And note that it's actually Teen-Age Diary Secrets 7 (there being no such varmint as Diary Secrets 7).

I picked up Earl Shaw's copy of the 9.  Pretty awful with the color bleached out of the cover, but it was the first copy I'd seen for sale since I missed out on Richie M's slightly restored copy a few years ago.

033ddd66-876f-4108-8ad0-7fbca9dd3763_zps

Edited by Sqeggs