• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,559 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, BakerFanOne said:

I wish some of the middle issues of Wartime Romances avoided the three panel covers and just blew up the main panel on the right.  Great interior stuff as always by the maestro.

I'm with you on the full image (full spread?) covers being better.

6 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Going Steady seems to be one of the scarcest titles, I've seen a handful of 10's but no 11 through 13.  Poor distribution? 

Poor distribution is always a reasonable guess with St John, especially for books in the 1954-1955 period.  This copy of 12 is currently highest graded.  I need to scan it.

204ea591-be3b-4501-bf7a-a517aac65b3d_zps

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Poor distribution is always a reasonable guess with St John, especially for books in the 1954-1955 period.  This copy of 12 is currently highest graded.  I need to scan it.

204ea591-be3b-4501-bf7a-a517aac65b3d_zps

Sweet copy!  I wonder if mine would score even that high...? 

gs12_zpsf95d91e8.jpg

Just now, 29dukedog said:

Sweet copy!  I wonder if mine would score even that high...? 

gs12_zpsf95d91e8.jpg

Very nice looking copy.  Is that a little tear above the "G"?  If so, that might hold down the grade a bit.

1 minute ago, 29dukedog said:

I also adore GS 10...

gs10Ja_zps427179cf.jpg

Me, too.  I love her adoring look and his seeming indifference.  

She appears to be wearing an engagement ring, so there could be trouble ahead! :)

As Dr Love notes, these photo covers don't get much, ahem, love.  This one is highest graded, but I'm not sure if that's because it's actually scarce in high grade or whether people just haven't bothered getting their copies graded.  Despite the lack of a label note, it has two Baker stories.

1135336014a_zps40c100d1.jpg

38 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Figure it might make sense just to show the 8.5 copy, despite the LT-OW pages. And note that it's actually Teen-Age Diary Secrets 7 (there being no such varmint as Diary Secrets 7).

I picked up Earl Shaw's copy of the 9.  Pretty awful with the color bleached out of the cover, but it was the first copy I'd seen for sale since I missed out on Richie M's slightly restored copy a few years ago.

033ddd66-876f-4108-8ad0-7fbca9dd3763_zps

The Diary Secrets #9 is the Richie M. copy. I hemmed and hawed over his price, at the time, but just could not walk away without it. 

19 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

As Dr Love notes, these photo covers don't get much, ahem, love.  

I picked up a four nice mid-grade, non-Baker books (my first ones) at WonderCon and ended up enjoying them more than I had imagined (Baker interior stories). Their $50 price tags seemed quite reasonable to me.

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Poor distribution is always a reasonable guess with St John, especially for books in the 1954-1955 period.  

Thanks Tony - how does GS 10-14 rank as far as current FMV's (i.e., most expensive to least expensive for the five issues)?

Edited by sacentaur

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Figure it might make sense just to show the 8.5 copy, despite the LT-OW pages. And note that it's actually Teen-Age Diary Secrets 7 (there being no such varmint as Diary Secrets 7).

I picked up Earl Shaw's copy of the 9.  Pretty awful with the color bleached out of the cover, but it was the first copy I'd seen for sale since I missed out on Richie M's slightly restored copy a few years ago.

033ddd66-876f-4108-8ad0-7fbca9dd3763_zps

One word.  WOW!!!