• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,498 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

It has some light tanning on the inside covers that would certainly affect the grade.  This one is tough in nice shape.

Tough in any shape has been my experience, finally got a copy off eBay a few weeks ago ... but it's one of those happy I finally got one, but not proud enough to bother posting it, kinda copies.

4 minutes ago, szavisca said:

35 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

It has some light tanning on the inside covers that would certainly affect the grade.  This one is tough in nice shape.

Tough in any shape has been my experience, finally got a copy off eBay a few weeks ago ... but it's one of those happy I finally got one, but not proud enough to bother posting it, kinda copies.

I have my share of those, too.  :sorry:

24 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

This also came in.

By the way, CGC credits Baker and Osrin with the cover, but just Baker signs it. I always assumed if Baker signed it, his was the only hand involved.

authentic police cases 6 cgc7.5.jpg

Sweeet!  Great books, great submits, Ron!

I hear you on the sig - on the other hand, I could believe Osrin filling in a bit on the guy, he doesn't look exactly like a Baker Brute

1 hour ago, comicnoir said:

This also came in.

By the way, CGC credits Baker and Osrin with the cover, but just Baker signs it. I always assumed if Baker signed it, his was the only hand involved.

authentic police cases 6 cgc7.5.jpg

Looks better than a 7.5 and better than the one that just went on Heritage for 3k... congrats!

6 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Looks better than a 7.5 and better than the one that just went on Heritage for 3k... congrats!

Thanks. Yes, I was disappointed in the grade, thought it looks better than that Ha copy that still got a nice piece of change. In fact I was pissed. Looks amazing in hand. This cgc scan does not do it justice.

Edited by comicnoir

48 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Sweeet!  Great books, great submits, Ron!

I hear you on the sig - on the other hand, I could believe Osrin filling in a bit on the guy, he doesn't look exactly like a Baker Brute

But how can they be so sure about the Osrin credit? Especially since they've missed so many other obvious Baker credits.

Edited by comicnoir

7 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Thanks. Yes, I was disappointed in the grade, thought it looks better than that Ha copy that still got a nice piece of change. In fact I was pissed. Looks amazing in hand. This cgc scan does not do it justice.

Well congrats on owning an amazing copy of my favorite St John Baker!... and my condolences on the bs grade ...  we've all been there sadly.

3 hours ago, comicnoir said:

The fact that the cover whites could've been whiter, and the PQ being c/ow are, I'd guess, the primary reasons it only graded 7.5.  At the very least, they could've been tipping factors, if the book has any flaws that would otherwise be allowable in 8.0.   

I do see a tiny tear along the bottom edge, and a possible color break in the black at the bottom of the woman's skirt.  Perhaps the cover PQ issue proved too much, on top of those flaws.  

Who the f--- knows.  You pays your money, the man flips the coin. 

Edited by 29dukedog

2 hours ago, 29dukedog said:
6 hours ago, comicnoir said:

The fact that the cover whites could've been whiter, and the PQ being c/ow are, I'd guess, the primary reasons it only graded 7.5.  At the very least, they could've been tipping factors, if the book has any flaws that would otherwise be allowable in 8.0.   

I do see a tiny tear along the bottom edge, and a possible color break in the black at the bottom of the woman's skirt.  Perhaps the cover PQ issue proved too much, on top of those flaws.  

Yeah, some poor sap paid through the nose for this one, but it's definitely brighter. 

lf_zpsgd8t28c9.jpg

12 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, some poor sap paid through the nose for this one, but it's definitely brighter. 

lf_zpsgd8t28c9.jpg

It's real close.  Your copy has a small corner crease, maybe an extra spine tick, but it looks more fresh and white altogether.  As for edges and corners being sharp, both are almost identical.  Gorgeous copies, both!  (I don't even own a beater.) 

3 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

The fact that the cover whites could've been whiter, and the PQ being c/ow are, I'd guess, the primary reasons it only graded 7.5.  

Is that staining along the top edge of the cover? If so, the grade would be accurate (though hard to tell without the book in hand).

8 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

The colour break on the woman's skirt does not exist. It's only on the scan cgc sent me. There is a colour breaking crease on the "e" in authentic that is barely visible. The tear may be a tear or a crease, I never went near it for fear I might make it worse. The whites are darker on mine, but not as dark as the scan. I paid 5 bucks for these crappy scans?

A special no-prize goes to the first person who can answer this question... 

What do these books all have in common, aside from all being Bakers/St. Johns/romance comics?

Diary Secrets 17, Teen-Age Romances 9, 11, 32, 41, Teen-Age Temptations 9, and Wartime Romances 8?