• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,509 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

No comment about the lamp, huh?  Just another "Beat Up Brian" session because he is so frugal...:taptaptap:

I gotta give you credit for the lamp.  That's one of my favorite APC covers and I never noticed the lamp.  Maybe deserves a cover notation from GCG. hm

So I know for a lot of people this is a classic cover so anyone want to guess the final price at auction over at ComicConnect? It’s a solid grade number but I have to admit I’m used to seeing copies from other collectors with cleaner whites and brighter colours than this copy. 

9776DD95-982D-44C3-922A-B2D64BF56C6A.jpeg.b3713a4f0cb593201b143948836e650d.jpeg

I can’t tell if that’s foxing or some general browning at the very top either. It looks to have some tanning on the cover edges inward too. 

Guesses in today’s market???

On 9/19/2017 at 8:04 AM, Sqeggs said:

I think that's one of the toughest Bakers.  Only three copies on the census with the one that sold here being the topper.  I have a 4.0 in the bad guys' slab.  Your copy is the best I can recall seeing.

Over three years ago I paid more than $500 for a raggedy raw copy on eBay listed by the OP herself.  Alas, it came back from CGC restored.

On 9/19/2017 at 8:41 AM, 29dukedog said:

Yeah, but "only three copies on the census" describes a great many of the St. John romance.  I think that's more a reflection of the scarcity of these books.  Like my TLP 9, there are probably more than a few raw copies still out there that would top the census, if submitted.   

On 9/19/2017 at 11:44 AM, Yorick said:

I have a newly obtained copy in Sarasota right now that I hope will validate Dukedog's prediction...  we shall see.

I want to wait for my books to be in-hand so the grades will be a surprise, but I did take a peek at the census for TLP9.  There's a 6.0 that I don't recall seeing previously.

1 hour ago, lhcomics said:

Here is a small Baker group shot. These are from an original owner collection I picked up some time back and I have them set to auction on eBay under Lhcomics starting Sunday evening.

5a0f6a25e61e9_20171117_1626581.thumb.jpg.055fac1b10021d8afaa9473c51d92978.jpg

Some highly sort after books (thumbsu

On 11/16/2017 at 1:02 PM, N e r V said:

So I know for a lot of people this is a classic cover so anyone want to guess the final price at auction over at ComicConnect? It’s a solid grade number but I have to admit I’m used to seeing copies from other collectors with cleaner whites and brighter colours than this copy. 

9776DD95-982D-44C3-922A-B2D64BF56C6A.jpeg.b3713a4f0cb593201b143948836e650d.jpeg

I can’t tell if that’s foxing or some general browning at the very top either. It looks to have some tanning on the cover edges inward too. 

Guesses in today’s market???

The 6.5 that sold on Comiclink in September went for $4,766 (if you were not watching that auction...)

My copies are all beat.  Maybe I'll get one back from Sarasota today?  Tracking seems to say it will be so.

7 minutes ago, Yorick said:

The 6.5 that sold on Comiclink in September went for $4,766 (if you were not watching that auction...)

My copies are all beat.  Maybe I'll get one back from Sarasota today?  Tracking seems to say it will be so.

Missed that. Wow.

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

The Flamingo OA piece hammered at $3,585.  I think it would have gone significantly higher if it could have been clearly attributed to Baker. 

I know that I would have paid $6000 for it if it were definitively Baker. 

I know that it’s been derailed here on this forum but I still think it’s a very nice piece Baker or not. Thornton was solid as well. 

3 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I know that I would have paid $6000 for it if it were definitively Baker. 

I know that it’s been derailed here on this forum but I still think it’s a very nice piece Baker or not. Thornton was solid as well. 

Thornton did some Beautiful Flamingos too.

1BEB06DF-52F3-4CF1-8D40-5CD93F55CD19.jpeg

1 hour ago, RareHighGrade said:

And Diary Secrets 21 6.0 went for over $2800, what the heck's going on?

Dunno guess we'll see where the market settles... could be outliers like the Diary Secrets 14 cgc 6.0 that went for $2,270 a year and a half ago... that one seems to have since spiraled back down since then.  Or maybe these prices will hold.

Where's all the Long time Baker experts? Surprised there's not much commentary in this thread after these results...