• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,581 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

Does this cover bother anyone else?

The shadow figure in the back creepily touching her shoulder?  No?

going steady 14.jpg

The mother in law is in the shadows lol

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

Does this cover bother anyone else?

The shadow figure in the back creepily touching her shoulder?  No?

going steady 14.jpg

Actually one of my favorites, with the couple having aged while remaining in love.  Another example, I think, of Baker drawing pretty much what he felt like in the last days at St John.  The subject matter here probably wasn't going to particularly attract the teenage girls who were presumably the main buyers of these books. 

this just pop in CAF looks suspicious REAL or FAKE????

the Gallery owner has also other Baker St John cover recreations. makes me believe its another recreation make believe to be unpublished cover. the Original Sketch looks way different them the cover. Try contacting the Gallery owner no response.

manhunt 1b.jpg

matt baker cover.jpg

Edited by kat123
typo

23 minutes ago, kat123 said:

the Gallery owner has also other Baker St John cover recreations. makes me believe its another recreation make believe to be unpublished cover. the Original Sketch looks way different them the cover. Try contacting the Gallery owner no response.

manhunt 1b.jpg

matt baker cover.jpg

this is what gallery owner wrote "Poor condition artwork found in a deceased paper collector's warehouse. I'm trying to get as much information about it as I can since the titled series ended with issue #45 in December 1955 and this did not appear as a published cover".

my understanding St John kid took over his father business to the ground and pretty much either took or destroyed all the original artwork, but could be possible some employees or fans were given originals to take home??? I own the only 3 St John romance pages ever surface on the market/HA?? or maybe not.

3 hours ago, kat123 said:

manhunt 1b.jpg

matt baker cover.jpg

Posted on April 1st?  Good joke.  That'd be a sweet cover though.  Duke is right, there should be some minimal background...

Baker Romance was thin on the ground at WonderCon - I did score copies of TAR 32, TAR 34, and TAR 36 (none in grade) plus a WR 3 (mid-grade).

Also two 'tall' Bakers, TADS 4 and TAR 4 - photo covers, but several Baker stories on the interiors. Happy to have 'em.

16 hours ago, archiefan said:

I believe that illustration is from the first issue of Nugget. The second of two illustrations he did for the Swamp Fever story. So this is a fake

Yes, that's from Nugget #1

58e36ced8f125_NuggetMagazine1November1955SwampFever2englargement.thumb.JPG.8c33ca52fe1ed444d524616e27543e07.JPG

58e36cfc01ee7_NuggetMagazine1November1955SwampFever2.thumb.JPG.2bbb27f8dadbef33a3bf3b3e7e20d247.JPG

16 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Baker Romance was thin on the ground at WonderCon - I did score copies of TAR 32, TAR 34, and TAR 36 (none in grade) plus a WR 3 (mid-grade).

Also two 'tall' Bakers, TADS 4 and TAR 4 - photo covers, but several Baker stories on the interiors. Happy to have 'em.

If that's a 'thin on the ground' haul for you, whew, I'm jealous. I doubt I've seen that many Bakers even in the average NYCC.

3 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

Just won this!  It popped up on eBay and even though I'm already way over budget for the month I couldn't pass up throwing out an offer.  Can't wait to see the inside art.

s-l1600.jpg.44aa5234b78aa7eef4888716bdcffe5a.jpg

2.jpg.9246518d5a4d96d88c8cff6a950c7e92.jpg

Awesome issue, inside and out.  41 pages of "new" Baker (no reprints from earlier issues). 

58 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

Just won this!  It popped up on eBay and even though I'm already way over budget for the month I couldn't pass up throwing out an offer.  Can't wait to see the inside art.

s-l1600.jpg.44aa5234b78aa7eef4888716bdcffe5a.jpg

2.jpg.9246518d5a4d96d88c8cff6a950c7e92.jpg

I saw that on the bay. Solid looking book. Fair price.

5 hours ago, Point Five said:

If that's a 'thin on the ground' haul for you, whew, I'm jealous. I doubt I've seen that many Bakers even in the average NYCC.

Lots and lots of box diving, Jon. 

Forgot to mention that I got a TAT 7 at the Con, too. :)