• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,577 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Sounds like the true market value that day was $1,000. Baker stuff is so up and down these days that it is pretty hard to put any kind of a true "market value" on them... Now say it "guides" for $500. you might get lucky if the gods are with you.

I think you make a good point.  Bakers aren't like ASM 300 or IH 181, where the market value is pretty stable, so you have a pretty good idea if any given sale is below or above market.  With Bakers it very much depends on who happens to be shopping at the time of any given auction.   It goes both ways -- sometimes prices are astronomical, other times you can get a deal.  For example, just a couple weeks ago I won Midget Comics 1 on eBay for 8 bucks.  (BTW, this is a cool comic.  I've posted it below in a silver age mylar -- you can see it's the size of a digest).

5979f826cb5eb_MidgetComics18b.jpg.84a0fcc9117426b3cd5f2d1afa5787c5.jpg

I keep track of all my Baker purchases.  So, my max bids and offers are based on what I have spent before.  So if on a given day my data says I should offer $500, yet someone else is willing to pay $750, then I let it go.  This helps me to take the emotion out of comic buying, and not over-pay by not competing with someone who really wants the comic and is willing to pay anything.

I'm not always successful.  For example, I probably paid too much for my GCE 12 because, in that instance, I was the bidder who really wanted the comic and was willing to pay (pretty much) anything.  I don't regret buying it though.  Sometimes I have buyer's remorse but it always goes away.  In fact, in my entire 40+ years of collecting, the only comic buys I regret are the ones I didn't make.

33 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

I think you make a good point.  Bakers aren't like ASM 300 or IH 181, where the market value is pretty stable, so you have a pretty good idea if any given sale is below or above market.  With Bakers it very much depends on who happens to be shopping at the time of any given auction.   It goes both ways -- sometimes prices are astronomical, other times you can get a deal.  For example, just a couple weeks ago I won Midget Comics 1 on eBay for 8 bucks.  (BTW, this is a cool comic.  I've posted it below in a silver age mylar -- you can see it's the size of a digest).

5979f826cb5eb_MidgetComics18b.jpg.84a0fcc9117426b3cd5f2d1afa5787c5.jpg

I keep track of all my Baker purchases.  So, my max bids and offers are based on what I have spent before.  So if on a given day my data says I should offer $500, yet someone else is willing to pay $750, then I let it go.  This helps me to take the emotion out of comic buying, and not over-pay by not competing with someone who really wants the comic and is willing to pay anything.

I'm not always successful.  For example, I probably paid too much for my GCE 12 because, in that instance, I was the bidder who really wanted the comic and was willing to pay (pretty much) anything.  I don't regret buying it though.  Sometimes I have buyer's remorse but it always goes away.  In fact, in my entire 40+ years of collecting, the only comic buys I regret are the ones I didn't make.

Ain't that the truth!

On 7/27/2017 at 1:58 PM, sacentaur said:

Any thoughts on the raw TAR #40 currently on ebay (I don't know the seller) - I checked the Census and the current top graded copy is only 5.0.

I believe that is too strong an asking price.  That top copy 5.0 sure looks a lot better than a 5.0!

I see your bid on one of my ebay books.  Thank you!

9 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Picked this up recently. Not romance, no girl on the cover but I've always wanted a copy. There's a nice gun moll on the inside.

authentic police cases 35.jpeg

Nice book Ron!  Pretty kinetic, and I don't think he often breaks into other panels like this either - on covers anyway.  Speaking of that panel - where's the guy's thumb?

6 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Nice book Ron!  Pretty kinetic, and I don't think he often breaks into other panels like this either - on covers anyway.  Speaking of that panel - where's the guy's thumb?

Other than the Baker "babe" covers, these all usually go pretty cheap. I don't think I have ever paid more than guide for ANY of them. Many considerably below. I think I am only missing two or three.

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

It's just miscolored, I can see pretty clearly where it's supposed to be on my copy.

Do any of these qualify as "babe" covers, Robot Man?

APC_12.jpg

APC_23.jpg

24 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Nice - only a single copy of APC 12 on the census.

If it wasn't for the damage right on the Blonde's arm and... area of interest, I would be tempted to slab that one.  It's not high grade, but I think other than that it would pull at least a 5.0.  I think I paid $9 or so for the book back in the day, so can't complain in any case.

13 hours ago, OtherEric said:

It's just miscolored, I can see pretty clearly where it's supposed to be on my copy.

Do any of these qualify as "babe" covers, Robot Man?

APC_12.jpg

My APC 12, bought as a VG+ a few years ago.  Never had it graded.

aut193a_zps0bfd9680.jpg

On 7/28/2017 at 2:26 PM, comicnoir said:

Picked this up recently. Not romance, no girl on the cover but I've always wanted a copy. There's a nice gun moll on the inside.

Another tough one, I think.  Bought my copy as a VG/FN on eBay a few year ago.

_57_zps7ec160d6.jpg

On 7/28/2017 at 11:26 AM, comicnoir said:

Did the modern Untouchables movie steal this scene?  Cosner throwing the bad guy in white suit off the courthouse rooftop?

His thumb is hidden by the rest of his hand (perspective) just as his left forearm is hidden.

45 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Did the modern Untouchables movie steal this scene?  Cosner throwing the bad guy in white suit off the courthouse rooftop?

His thumb is hidden by the rest of his hand (perspective) just as his left forearm is hidden.

I'm sure they had tons of crime comics and other visuals in the art department as they were preparing to shoot the Untouchables. DePalma is a notorious "borrower".

The thumb is there, just accidentally coloured red like the coat of the person being carried in the b/g.