• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,551 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, szavisca said:

Great first Baker! ...one of my personal top 5 Baker Babe Non-Romance covers, and not an easy one to find in my experience... luckily I  stumbled upon this one in the wild a few weeks ago.  Probably only a 3.0 on account of back cover issues, but I love it.  Will upgrade for sure if I ever get the chance.

ags14gvg.jpg

Nice, but you could have had my beauty for only $1000...:baiting:

3 hours ago, szavisca said:

Great first Baker! ...one of my personal top 5 Baker Babe Non-Romance covers, and not an easy one to find in my experience... luckily I  stumbled upon this one in the wild a few weeks ago.  Probably only a 3.0 on account of back cover issues, but I love it.  Will upgrade for sure if I ever get the chance.

ags14gvg.jpg

Thanks! It's a very cool book.

It's great to see all those copies of Amazing Ghost Stories 14 popping out on this thread. Happy to be part of the club! 

Curious, the GPA census is totally screwed up on this book. Like, it's not even there. 

4 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

I love it.  But, "Most Attractive Couple" is another category altogether, and there I'd have to vote for DS 27...  

ds27_pb.jpg

You have to admire a woman who chooses her coat to match the color of her boy friend's hair. :)

They are a beautiful couple, but somehow I've never been crazy about that cover.  A while back, Dr. Love explained how it was actually quite masterfully composed, but I'm still not entirely convinced. hm

Love the couple, love the watercolor shading, hate the clouds.  Baker's cumulus are generally weak, unfortunately, for they play an important background role in outdoor shots, especially for the romance genre.  Here their placement is just off.  And while the cirrus is an unusual and interesting addition, they just don't normally sit in the same sky at the same time, so it comes off as unconsciously weird.

Almost as weird as this commentary! lol

3 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Love the couple, love the watercolor shading, hate the clouds.  Baker's cumulus are generally weak, unfortunately, for they play an important background role in outdoor shots, especially for the romance genre.  Here their placement is just off.  And while the cirrus is an unusual and interesting addition, they just don't normally sit in the same sky at the same time, so it comes off as unconsciously weird.

So, you like everything about the cover except the weather.  

5 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

It does kind of look like they’re on a hilltop overlooking the ocean with clouds sailing in the water like boats, not sure I can unsee it now.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:
15 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

So, you like everything about the cover except the weather.  

What I really love is your DS 16.  You could post that every day, two times a day, as far as I'm concerned.

Baker did many couples portraits, especially towards the end of his St. John days, but imo, DS 16 is one of the most charming.  A close competitor would be TR 42.  

33 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Looks like I misremembered your take on it. The clouds do seem oddly placed.  Given how Baker often relied on photos to provide him with backgrounds, I wonder if out there somewhere is a photo that actually shows clouds situated as these are? hm

8 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Baker did many couples portraits, especially towards the end of his St. John days, but imo, DS 16 is one of the most charming.  A close competitor would be TR 42.  

I'm trying to think whether Baker did a cover with a couple eating dinner at a nice restaurant, as they might on V Day.  Nothing comes to mind.  Odd oversight if he never did a cover with that theme.

I agree that the best work of Baker's career came at the end of his time with St. John.  

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I'm trying to think whether Baker did a cover with a couple eating dinner at a nice restaurant, as they might on V Day.  Nothing comes to mind.  Odd oversight if he never did a cover with that theme.

I agree that the best work of Baker's career came at the end of his time with St. John.  

CL 26 comes close to your description.  Perhaps the couple finished dinner hours earlier...  

cl26_CGC_pb.jpg