• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,566 posts in this topic

I was also curious if there had been any consensus on the last Baker story to appear in print?  

This is from  First Love  89  1962 "Dungaree Doll"

DungareeBaker.jpg.2a841db1152cfe4c252ee75d96dd3b38.jpg

Edited by JvR11

1 minute ago, JvR11 said:

I was also curious if there had been any consensus on the last Baker story to appear in print?  

This is from  First Love  89  1962 "Dungaree Doll"

Dungaree.jpg

The Art of Glamour notes "A Love for Life," which appeared in First Love Illustrated 90 (Feb 1963) -- more than three and half years after his death.

You should stop by more often!

15 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

The Art of Glamour notes "A Love for Life," which appeared in First Love Illustrated 90 (Feb 1963) -- more than three and half years after his death.

You should stop by more often!

Thank you.  Crazy how the stories weren't published for 3 1/2 years.  

12 minutes ago, JvR11 said:

Hello all :hi:   I was looking through some old scans I have and thought it might be nice to share some splash pages from outside of the St. John Baker collection.  Anyone have any other splash pages from outside of St. John to share? 

Lovers 71 "Paris In The Spring"

My Own Romance 56 "Another Girl's Man"

Love Romances 57  "You Belong To Me"

Love Romances 45 "Heart and Soul"  I think DukeDog would agree this is one of the top splash pages outside of St. John.  Love the illustrations on this one.

I do agree that's an outstanding Baker splash page.  As I recall, you introduced me to that story about ten years ago, and you even supplied me with a nice copy of Love Romances 45 in a trade (a book I still have, btw).  

I believe I also have a few scans of Baker's Atlas splash pages I can post here...   

Love Romances 77 

Lovers 81 

Lovers 85 

True Secrets 34 

LoveRoms77a.jpg

Lovers81ba.jpg

Lovers85a.jpg

ts34_a.jpg

1 minute ago, 29dukedog said:

I do agree that's an outstanding Baker splash page.  As I recall, you introduced me to that story about ten years ago, and you even supplied me with a nice copy of Love Romances 45 in a trade (a book I still have, btw).  

I believe I also have a few scans of Baker's Atlas splash pages I can post here...   

Love Romances 77 

Lovers 81 

Lovers 85 

True Secrets 34 

LoveRoms77a.jpg

Lovers81ba.jpg

Lovers85a.jpg

ts34_a.jpg

These are awesome.  Thanks for sharing.  

18 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

I see a basic similarity between the two.  I wouldn't say it's close enough to suggest that the panel in any way inspired the cover (or the other way around).   

tar41_pb.jpg

TaR 41 is one of my favourite covers, and a real toughy.

Found I had a few more Baker Atlas splash pages.  I've nearly put together all the Atlas romance books with Baker art.  Eventually I want to compile a master list of these stories and try to ID the ones that are inked by Baker himself, those inked by others who did a good job of preserving his pencils, and those inked by Colletta, whose inking tended to obscure the style of the penciller with his own style.  The stories in the first two categories represent some really nice work... as seen below and in recent posts...

Stories of Romance #11, 13, and True Secrets #36  

StoriesOfRomance11a.jpg

StoriesOfRomance13a.jpg

ts36_a.jpg

4 hours ago, JvR11 said:

Notice the similarity in composition of this panel to the TR 41?

3 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

I see a basic similarity between the two.

That rickety fence line on the beach really spoke to him.  Maybe an actual location he was familiar with?

33 minutes ago, Yorick said:

"Vince, no all black please" (top left corner)  True Bride to Be #29

sweet young thing 1.jpg

I remember this at auction. Not classic, but I like the splash. And she was a sweet young thing.

Edited by comicnoir

Question for those who know more than I, which is literally everyone at this point. Do books with Baker interiors command a premium, even if he didn't do the cover?

I recently picked up a Lovers #85, so I'm curious, though I like Atlas romance so I will probably keep this one for myself either way. 

1 hour ago, Crimebuster said:

Question for those who know more than I, which is literally everyone at this point. Do books with Baker interiors command a premium, even if he didn't do the cover?

I recently picked up a Lovers #85, so I'm curious, though I like Atlas romance so I will probably keep this one for myself either way. 

They should but except in rare cases don't seem to. The market seems to be very cover driven especially on his romance work. I equate this to CGC where the only thing you can see is the cover. I personally really like his interior work as well. Especially his Friction House stuff. Awesome stuff. My favorite is Sky Girl in Jumbo. Pretty easy to obtain a decent reader run if you want. 

47 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

They should but except in rare cases don't seem to. The market seems to be very cover driven especially on his romance work. I equate this to CGC where the only thing you can see is the cover. I personally really like his interior work as well. Especially his Friction House stuff. Awesome stuff. My favorite is Sky Girl in Jumbo. Pretty easy to obtain a decent reader run if you want. 

Is there a Sky Girl reprint compilation anywhere?

There should be @Shrevvy

31 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Is there a Sky Girl reprint compilation anywhere?

There should be @Shrevvy

That is the plan. My Jumbo collection is still missing some issues. So, I don't have all the material yet. I'm on the road, but I have the book mapped out at home. It is a couple hundred pages of Skygirl material, if I remember correctly.

Just now, Shrevvy said:

That is the plan. My Jumbo collection is still missing some issues. So, I don't have all the material yet. I'm on the road, but I have the book mapped out at home. It is a couple hundred pages of Skygirl material, if I remember correctly.

Definitely looking forward to that 

29 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Definitely looking forward to that 

Would be awsome but probably too late for me. I'm only about a half a dozen away from complete Baker Jumbos. I think I already have all the other Baker FH titles except Jumbo which is a rather long run. I actually prefer the real comics as opposed to reprints. But, if I didn't have so many, I'd be all over it.