• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,578 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Yorick said:

That rickety fence line on the beach really spoke to him.  Maybe an actual location he was familiar with?

Good point that I hadn't noticed.  Does make it seems as if there could be some dependence. hm

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:
5 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

Question for those who know more than I, which is literally everyone at this point. Do books with Baker interiors command a premium, even if he didn't do the cover?

I recently picked up a Lovers #85, so I'm curious, though I like Atlas romance so I will probably keep this one for myself either way. 

They should but except in rare cases don't seem to. The market seems to be very cover driven especially on his romance work. I equate this to CGC where the only thing you can see is the cover. I personally really like his interior work as well. Especially his Friction House stuff. Awesome stuff. My favorite is Sky Girl in Jumbo. Pretty easy to obtain a decent reader run if you want. 

Yeah, I agree with this.  I guess the question is, though, a premium relative to what?  I would say that Atlas books containing his work probably get some premium to other surrounding issues that don't have his work, but nothing like what the St John romance books with Baker covers get.  Some of his early St John romance work appears in issues with photo covers. Most of those books sell at a steep discount to the St John romance books for which he drew the covers.  Partial exceptions are Teen-Age Diary Secrets 6 (because a young Marilyn Monroe is on the cover) and Teen-Age Diary Secrets 7 (because of its scarcity).

Teen-Age Diary Secrets 9 is technically a Baker cover, although it's actually just a blown-up panel from a story.  Still, it's so tough to find that I would guess a high-grade copy would go for big money if one were to be auctioned. 

Overstreet has always evaluated Baker Romance by how early the issue number is, but also by how many Baker stories are inside. Just a cover would not fetch as much as an issue with 2, 3 or 4 stories. We know that's not true. A Teen-age Romance with a fetching cover like #32, but no interior will get a premium. Also the scarcer issues will get more. At one time Cinderella Loves would guide at zilch because of no interiors. Overstreet finally wised up, but still has a lot of tweeking to do. Since prices can be volatile, I doubt that will happen.

15 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

The TADS 9 reprints stories from TADS 7, combined with the pocket format and blown-up panel cover it seems to be a cheap gimmick (though acknowledged as super-tough).

A few years ago, Richie M. had a mid-grade (as I remember) copy with a tear seal (his speciality!) but he had sold it before I got to it.

3 hours ago, sacentaur said:

The TADS 9 reprints stories from TADS 7, combined with the pocket format and blown-up panel cover it seems to be a cheap gimmick (though acknowledged as super-tough).

From what I understand is that the TADS9 might have been remainder copies of TADS 7.  The pocket editions maybe didn't sell very well.  

IMG_3701_zpsif41hzxw.JPG

9 hours ago, Shrevvy said:

That is the plan. My Jumbo collection is still missing some issues. So, I don't have all the material yet. I'm on the road, but I have the book mapped out at home. It is a couple hundred pages of Skygirl material, if I remember correctly.

Which issues are you missing?

44 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Let's say a Baker comic is valued at $100; what is the value of its pence equivalent?

Values for even the US editions of Baker books are largely arbitrary, due to a variety of factors.  I would imagine this to be the case, even more so, for UK and Australian editions.  One thing I'd say is fairly certain; "pence" editions would likely be valued lower than US editions.  Even though the foreign editions are certainly scarcer, more collectors will be looking to acquire US editions- that's just the reality of the market.  

AussieTAR06.jpg

AussieTAR29.jpg

7 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

Values for even the US editions of Baker books are largely arbitrary, due to a variety of factors.  I would imagine this to be the case, even more so, for UK and Australian editions.  One thing I'd say is fairly certain; "pence" editions would likely be valued lower than US editions.  Even though the foreign editions are certainly scarcer, more collectors will be looking to acquire US editions- that's just the reality of the market.  

AussieTAR06.jpg

AussieTAR29.jpg

Yeah, I would assume foreign price would be lower -- following the same pattern as superhero fare -- but didn't know if the "Baker effect" impacted the disparity, closing the gap a bit.

20 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Yeah, I would assume foreign price would be lower -- following the same pattern as superhero fare -- but didn't know if the "Baker effect" impacted the disparity, closing the gap a bit.

It would be interesting to find out if that is the case, but foreign editions of Baker books come up for sale so rarely.  It's not like SA Spider-Man, for example, where each issue has a pence equivalent.  Just a relative handful of St. John reprints got published in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand, and I don't think a lot of effort was devoted to matching covers to original content.

18 minutes ago, manetteska said:
29 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

AussieTAR06.jpg

AussieTAR29.jpg

You never know what might happen in an auction, but I would guess that it well might.  These are really very scarce.  Marvel SA pence copies, are fairly common for the most part, although I know that particular issues are tough.  So, even, though they are much scarcer than the cents copies they typically sell at a significant discount, I think.

Sounds like a question for @Marwood & I !

Just now, 29dukedog said:

It would be interesting to find out if that is the case, but foreign editions of Baker books come up for sale so rarely.  It's not like SA Spider-Man, for example, where each issue has a pence equivalent.  Just a relative handful of St. John reprints got published in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand, and I don't think a lot of effort was devoted to matching covers to original content.

Our posts crossed, but I think we are making the same point.

17 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

There is a pence version I can make an offer on but don't know where to start. Perhaps I'll pressure the seller to make the first move and see where it goes.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, manetteska said:

There is a pence version I can make an offer on but don't know where to start. Perhaps I'll pressure the seller to make the first move and see where it goes.

Thanks!

You can start by passing on the contact info to me in a PM!  :takeit:

8 hours ago, Yorick said:

You can start by passing on the contact info to me in a PM!  :takeit:

Seller refused to give a price and refused to disclose/admit the rust clearly shown in his pictures. I offered a price based on the rust I could see and someone else offered more.