• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,554 posts in this topic

Some times this hobby breaks your heart. I've been searching for 2+ years now for a complete copy of Teen-Age Temptations 8, with absolutely no luck. Not a sniff of a lead anywhere, until last week. A copy pops up on Ebay, I win the auction. Book arrives today with a terrible, undisclosed trim along the right-edge and bottom :sorry:. Absolutely gutted, and the search resumes.

Just now, Diamonddave said:

Some times this hobby breaks your heart. I've been searching for 2+ years now for a complete copy of Teen-Age Temptations 8, with absolutely no luck. Not a sniff of a lead anywhere, until last week. A copy pops up on Ebay, I win the auction. Book arrives today with a terrible, undisclosed trim along the right-edge and bottom :sorry:. Absolutely gutted, and the search resumes.

Only 2 years?  B|

50 minutes ago, Diamonddave said:

Ugh, sorry to hear. This is the one the seller called a 2.5 that finished at $810, correct? It looked really nice. :(

53 minutes ago, Diamonddave said:

Are you sure it wasn't a production defect? St. John is notorious for that.

24 minutes ago, Diamonddave said:

Definitely not from a bound volume, just an amateur with a paper cutter or razor.

Is there any indication that someone made an effort to separate married pages at the outside edge?  I've seen that sort of thing on St. John books.  Usually they just rip through the paper, leaving ragged edges, but maybe someone used scissors on your copy(?)

17 minutes ago, Diamonddave said:

Pics as promised

Unless it's really badly miscut, I think it has to be trummed. Edge of the cover is almost perfectly aligned with the interior pages.

20180626_194611.jpg

20180626_194701.jpg

20180626_194757.jpg

I'm comparing it with my copy. It's more narrow, missing art on the right side. You may be right. I'll scan and post. The bottom looks alright though.

9 hours ago, Diamonddave said:

Like Rick & Robot said, there are many instances of miscut St. John books. Their quality control was poor. In the case of this particular publisher, I personally wouldn't assume a book is trimmed unless a pro restoration detector examines it in hand and says so. 

9 hours ago, Diamonddave said:

Pics as promised

Unless it's really badly miscut, I think it has to be trummed. Edge of the cover is almost perfectly aligned with the interior pages.

20180626_194611.jpg

20180626_194701.jpg

20180626_194757.jpg

Here's a copy I'm quite certain isn't trimmed.  But even if your copy doesn't perfectly match this one, I wouldn't assume your copy is trimmed.  Comic production wasn't a perfect science back then, there were slight variations within a print run. 

Also consider, as the grade of the book goes down, so does the incentive to try and make the copy appear nicer.  How much grade would be gained by making the trimming you suspect on this copy?  Now that I see your copy, I really think it most likely came out of the factory as is. 

tat8_pb.jpg

5 hours ago, kat123 said:

GCE #15 returns CGC 4.5 not FN 6.0 like mention on Bay. the extra paper sticking outside the book was excess paper manufacturing defect, no tears or rips to story. Complete copy with no writing on cover or back. Bidding I had a feeling it was not FN like mention. Keeping book and happy to re-acquired this book again for the 5th time. Beautiful Baker cover going to the permanent collection this time around. 

GCE#15 Banner.jpg

There they all are!  :applause:

14 hours ago, kat123 said:

GCE #15 returns CGC 4.5 not FN 6.0 like mention on Bay. the extra paper sticking outside the book was excess paper manufacturing defect, no tears or rips to story. Complete copy with no writing on cover or back. Bidding I had a feeling it was not FN like mention. Keeping book and happy to re-acquired this book again for the 5th time. Beautiful Baker cover going to the permanent collection this time around. 

IMG_9319.jpg

GCE#15 Banner.jpg

Was anything done (i.e. pressing) to the book before submitting to CGC?