• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,498 posts in this topic

Yes it was press, but little was improved the back cover was clean a bit. The front not much. 

Guess could have been 3.5/4 without the press. Also second book I bought from Anthony that was over graded. 

24C0B12C-100C-446E-8FF7-FCC9D4549C3A.jpeg

9B0D6D9C-211E-4CF6-ABAA-7BAB73E8DBC6.jpeg

Edited by kat123

On 6/28/2018 at 12:47 PM, kat123 said:

Yes it was press, but little was improved the back cover was clean a bit. The front not much. 

Guess could have been 3.5/4 without the press. Also second book I bought from Anthony that was over graded.

Agreed, they are clueless when it comes to grading and listing. Glad the GCE #15 checked out and wasn't trimmed or restored. I would say you dodged a bullet. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

Agreed, they are clueless when it comes to grading and listing. Glad the GCE #15 checked out and wasn't trimmed or restored. I would say you dodged a bullet. (thumbsu

Thanks I'm glad it wasn't trimmed too. This books comes out of collection stored on a closet for 40yrs NY Manhattan- according to Anthony. 

GCE#15 NY state -closet collection-6.jpg

OK, it's not romance but I do like Baker's work on Tiger Girl.

The cover of Fight was taken from the Baker splash.  I hope he got paid for it.

43151579551_042761c253_b.jpg7342971476_969dc89d3f_b.jpg

Notice how they covered up her bellybutton for the cover.

She spent a lot of time in that cave.  Fight 52-59 I guess.

43157269181_c3f58f8acf_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

7 hours ago, szavisca said:

Was this mentioned in the thread yet? Or was everyone hoping no one would notice...as if.  Guessing this will be rather pricey.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/going-steady-10-st-john-1954-cgc-vf-75-off-white-pages/p/7189-42004.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

It will :insane:

On 7/3/2018 at 7:48 PM, szavisca said:

Was this mentioned in the thread yet? Or was everyone hoping no one would notice...as if.  Guessing this will be rather pricey.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/going-steady-10-st-john-1954-cgc-vf-75-off-white-pages/p/7189-42004.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

I can't believe they graded it so high with all that spine creasing and corner dinging going on...doh! But, some fool will probably still pay $200 for it... hm

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 6/24/2018 at 6:54 PM, manetteska said:

What are thoughts on current value of Going Steady #11 in about a VG?

I don't know whether anyone responded to this, but that's a tough book.  If it presents well, I could see it doing as much as $1,500.  With two determined bidders, who knows because the book doesn't come up for sale often.  A ragged VG would go for less, particularly if the cover image is significantly marred.

On 6/27/2018 at 6:57 AM, 29dukedog said:

Here's a copy I'm quite certain isn't trimmed.  But even if your copy doesn't perfectly match this one, I wouldn't assume your copy is trimmed.  Comic production wasn't a perfect science back then, there were slight variations within a print run. 

Also consider, as the grade of the book goes down, so does the incentive to try and make the copy appear nicer.  How much grade would be gained by making the trimming you suspect on this copy?  Now that I see your copy, I really think it most likely came out of the factory as is. 

tat8_pb.jpg

I'm inclined to agree with this.  Some crazy miscuts on St John books.  

On 7/1/2018 at 3:21 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Anthony is notorious for over grading and over pricing.  I would never buy anything from that guy...He thinks because he's on TV that he's special or something...

My impression is that his focus is more on OA than on comics.  A couple of years ago, I went to a small show he set up at.  He had a good selection of OA but the only comics he had were ones whose titles started with the letters A to C.  He said he didn't bother bringing the rest, but I could stop by his warehouse if I wanted to see them.

12 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:
On 7/3/2018 at 10:48 PM, szavisca said:

I can't believe they graded it so high with all that spine creasing and corner dinging going on...doh! But, some fool will probably still pay $200 for it... hm

I don't think it's badly overgraded.  If you are looking at the upper rh corner, I think that's just a bit of color loss that occurred in the printing process. You can kind of see it on my copy, although it's in a slightly different spot.  

8376371f-1d70-4c9e-a5ea-a7f7d1e85aa5_zpsglospzbq.JPG

One of the more obscure Bakers.  Not his cover, of course, but he did the art on an interior story (although CGC didn't give him credit on the label).  Bought raw as an 8.5. Still worth the $85 I paid for it some years ago on eBay

Bad glare from my scanner.

2018-07-05-0001_zpsjq7oxdrk-2.JPG

Just now, Sqeggs said:

Couldn't resist picking up this "Giordano swiping Baker" cover. 

brides_zpsmdyo0ilm.JPG

I seriously thought about this one, too, but I already have a nice mid grade copy. 

Great pickup!  Glad it was you who won it.  (thumbsu 

tar19_page_B.jpg