• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,557 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, sagii said:

Actually never 'noticed' this one until now. Great cover (and not even dominated by a Baker babe)!

Yeah, he just kind of sneaked one into one of the side panels. :)

Can't remember where I picked this up as a raw copy.  I think it may have been in a group of Wild Boys (Baker and non-Baker, Ziff-Davis and St John) on eBay.  They were all in the VGish range.  The other copy on the census is a 7.5, which I think was posted to the boards not long ago by ... @Ricksneatstuff ? @szavisca ? @Yorick?

2018-07-18-0001_zps4oeijgts.JPG

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Can't remember where I picked this up as a raw copy.  I think it may have been in a group of Wild Boys (Baker and non-Baker, Ziff-Davis and St John) on eBay.  They were all in the VGish range.  The other copy on the census is a 7.5, which I think was posted to the boards not long ago by ... @Ricksneatstuff ? @szavisca ? @Yorick?

Wasn't me I'm afraid, don't have a copy of this one yet...I do have a 12,13, and 14 in Sarasota right now though.  Great book btw, amazing colors and it looks better than a 4.5 to me.

22 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I don't have high grade copies of Wild Boy, but since you've called me out - I'll share this rarity:

Congo Wild Boy.JPG

4 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

I've enjoyed seeing the APCs... for me, the St. John crime (and western) is the final frontier in collecting Baker.  The romance has been collected to the best of my abilities, but books from the other genres, I've only picked up here and there as I went... I still need many APCs. 

Collecting Bakers has never been slower for me than it's been in the past couple of years (higher prices, seemingly lower availability), but in the past couple of years I scored a decent run of APC #27 thru 29, a great mini-run, imo.  Also, a couple super scarce Bakers seemed to fall into my lap... (does this seem to happen more often when you're not trying real hard?  It seems like that to me.)  

crown7_a.jpg

That Crown 7 is very nice.  I love the color.

2 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Cool.  I don't think I've ever seen a Spanish edition of a St. John romance comic, though... (Anyone...?)  I've seen a few Australian (or New Zealand) romance books, though, and I pick them up when I can:  

AussieTAR06.jpg

AussieTAR29.jpg

These are neat.  The bottom one looks as if it was redrawn.  (Maybe the top one was as well.) hm

On 7/18/2018 at 5:02 PM, Sqeggs said:

:taptaptap:  Can't remember that great deal I turned you onto?  Man, you must be as old as I am...here's my finders fee copy you sent me...

39027236574_32bc0e07d8_c.jpg

36 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

That Crown 7 is high on my want list. Baker babe and hot rods. A real toughie. Harley had a 5.0 #4 at Torpedo show for 2K with no takers...

I was there when Harley first showed these books. Some were Ohio copies. He had a Crown 7. I asked the price, he said he had it on reserve. I asked the price again, he said $3K. Thank god it was on reserve. Just a great book, you never see.

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

There are several nice Crowns by Baker. I need #6 and #7 and have been looking for quite a while. I have been lucky enought to land these though.

comcrown4.jpg

comcrown5.jpg

Those are beauties Robot Man!  I love the Crowns as you can see Baker’s evolution as an artist that would soon emerge in full force on the Seven Seas covers.  The stiffness and heavy inking is giving way to flowing action-packed images.  Thanks for sharing and good luck on finding 6 and 7.

On 7/20/2018 at 2:04 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

:taptaptap:  Can't remember that great deal I turned you onto?  Man, you must be as old as I am...here's my finders fee copy you sent me...

39027236574_32bc0e07d8_c.jpg

Ah, I figured that was the deal.  Thanks so much for directing me to that lot and accepting that book with the missing cf as payment. :foryou: